Parasite

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That infestation is severe....I agree you have to get him and the rest of the fish out to treat....at minimum, I would suggest a freshwater dip and a formalin dip for starters...hopefully humblefish and meridith have some better ideas of what it might be.

I don't recommend formalin often, but I do think I would go that route in this instance. Do a 5 min FW dip, followed up by a 45 minute formalin bath and then place the fish in QT. How he looks following the FW dip + formalin bath will tell us whether those "things" are something worm-like or an external parasite or possibly not a disease at all.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think once he's in QT that he will need "the kitchen sink" thrown at him: Copper, Metroplex, Kanaplex & Furan-2.

The diseases commonly known to science - ich, velvet, brook, flukes, etc. - probably only represent a fraction of what's really out there. So, every now & then you are going to encounter a "Typhoid Mary" type disease like this. When that happens, all you can do is throw everything you have in your fish medicine cabinet at it and hope something works. o_O Or take a skin scrape and try to figure out what it is under a microscope.

P.S. I wouldn't completely rule out this being something environmental either.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thx .. was hoping to get a better grasp of what I'm dealing with. Hate to throw a dart at it.. appreciate it
Copper or CP will kill 60% or more of the issues you face, prazi another 10%, I mean cover the bases, lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow the powder blue and brown thread is crazy, I wish the photos were still around!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back