~ Paying It Forward ~ A Dying Practice or Not ? ~

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling a little 'Felmanesk' today and thought I'd share...........

"Pay It Forward" seems to me as though it may be a thing of the past and something that mainly us 'Old Salts' are even familiar with or aware of this term in general. Or is it just evolved as most things in this hobby seems to have and is now been replaced with that 'Freebie' in a order or Frag Pack when ordered online, picked up from a fellow Reefer or even thrown in at a Frag Swap. In my definition of the term 'Paying it Forward' is mostly a selfless act of giving away Coral(s) to someone just starting out or that you just plain feel 'Deserves It' rather new or just trying to get to the next level of Reefkeeping on a budget. For me it's a 'Feel Good' act and one that I hope will bring good Karma if ever in need. I believe that it supports our Hobby interest without taking further from the Wild Reefs and is always cool to see what 'Your Coral' looks like or turns into under someone else's care. For a slightly selfish version you could look at it this way.... by giving out frags of all your favorite Coral to your local Reefkeepers if you were to ever lose one of them or God Forbid have a complete 'Tank Crash' it's reasonable to expect that these recipients of your generosity would return the favor by giving you a start of the same Coral(s) back.

I'm not condemning the act of 'Selling Corals/Frags' by any means as I to on occasion sell a few Frags/Mini Colonies or trade with a LFS for food and supplies. But, if you have never just given a coral away without any strings or price tag attached try it once or twice and see how it makes you feel.... It may just surprise you and become a 'Good Habit' and one that just might spread to others. Would this not be a great thing ???

I am/was very fortunate to have met some very successful and generous Reefkeepers over the past 32 years now in this hobby and just now starting to feel that I have finally joined their ranks and proud to do so. I know that there are many others out there who are selflessly helping this Reefkeeping Community and others along and would like to hear your comments on this subject 'Good or Bad' and if you too are a participant in the act of 'Paying It Forward' and if your are is it because you were on the receiving end of it originally.

"Stay involved, be open minded and mostly help out another Reefkeeper when and where you can"

Cheers, Todd

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am all about helping others out and giving stuff away as long as you know it will be enjoyed and cared for properly.

Before I stepped into the salty side of this hobby I bred cory catfish and would give them away regularly. Also the lovely Freshwater angelfish I have I received from a girl local to me who gave it to me for free, just just wanted to know it was going somewhere good and would check in to see if it is doing good.

Recently I had to split up my trio of yellow tangs because for whatever reason they started to get at each other.. after being with each other for 6 months or so. I decided to give away two for free as long as they were going to suitable homes. I rather take the hit (financially) than they take the hit with their lives.

It was nice to see during the aftermath of sandy some of the help put out by reefers to other reefers who lost their tanks.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only been in the hobby for about 5 years and I have always used the "pay it forward" philosophy. I have received so much help and support from friends, my local reef clubs and the forums. I would feel guilty if I did not pay it forward.

Recently, I was trying to rehome my fuzzy dwarf lionfish. I did not want anything for the fish whatsoever. I just wanted the fish to go to a great home. I posted it up in my local reef club for free and was able to get it to a new home. Well, the future owner did not want to leave me empty handed and gave me 3 awesome frags of hammer and frogspawn. One is actually a mini colony. I was so thankful for it. :)

I have also seen how local members will rally around those that have fallen on hard times or need support. I think it is pretty awesome! :)

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. I love the term "Felmanesk" I think that we should coin it on R2R and make it go national.

I'm a big, firm believer in Paying it Froward. A few in Seattle know a little about me. :)

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am a big believer in " Paying it Forward".
When I first started getting into corals in the late 80's early 90's, I met a guy in Tacoma Washington that would not let me leave his house with out a extra bag of something for free.
At the time, I had so little to give back that I felt like I was taking advantage of him and I told him so.
He just told me that some day I will be in a different situation and then it will be my turn.
So I have tried to make sure that I do my part.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this all the time. However I am a little more careful so I don't cause a waterfall of people just asking for something free. Insurance frags are a must. I also know others in the area I do free stuff with all the time.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great responses from everyone and makes me feel much better about what I think is an extremely important aspect of our culture as Reefkeeper's. I'd really hate to lose it. Marty better stated the feelings I had starting out so many years ago and having more seasoned Reefer's pass on their knowledge and Corals only wanting you to do the same sometime in the future when you were in a position to do so. That is all I expect now in 'Paying It Forward' and promoting a Legacy onto the next generation of Reefkeeper out there.

My hat's off to you all

Cheers, Todd

bmac16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just "paid it forward" a few weeks ago. I've done it a handful of times, ecotech parts, coral, etc.....but this last time was an UNEXPLAINABLE feeling! I thought the whole time I was texting back and forth with someone older than 18. Guy was asking, for help with overflow, sump, and sump parts because he is on a budget. I had an overflow and sump I wasn't using so I told him he can have it just meet me at the LFS. Upon arrival a teenager walks up with his parents, father who is disabled, and you can tell they don't have much but make do. Made my fiancé's and my day knowing I just gave them a couple hundred dollars in equipment. As we were leaving my girl and I were talking and wishing we would have brought more to give, but you just never know how much help you can really give until you try

rainydave

Chimp in Space
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been blessed to be on the receiving end of pay it forward from a couple of people on this thread, and others in the area. I can honestly say it has kept me going in the hobby after some disasters have struck. Whether it's holding onto some corals while I rebuilt my tank, or just giving me the support (and knowledge) to start over again.

I attempt to emulate these givers whenever I can.

hcoop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just "paid it forward" a few weeks ago. I've done it a handful of times, ecotech parts, coral, etc.....but this last time was an UNEXPLAINABLE feeling! I thought the whole time I was texting back and forth with someone older than 18. Guy was asking, for help with overflow, sump, and sump parts because he is on a budget. I had an overflow and sump I wasn't using so I told him he can have it just meet me at the LFS. Upon arrival a teenager walks up with his parents, father who is disabled, and you can tell they don't have much but make do. Made my fiancé's and my day knowing I just gave them a couple hundred dollars in equipment. As we were leaving my girl and I were talking and wishing we would have brought more to give, but you just never know how much help you can really give until you try

:Thumbsup: hats off to you sir.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Todd, I just saw this thread by you! It really is a generous thing you do and I couldn't agree more. Before I was in this hobby, I've had several other hobbies and lets just say I could do stuff that many family and friends couldn't. I was and am still always dropping what I'm doing and helping others out. I've taught my kids (when they complained) that someday you will need help and you will get it in ways you won't expect. That it feels good to help others and in the end you will get more out of it than possibly they will. If you were given a gift, share it freely. I was raised quite poor and the eldest of 5 girls with out a dad at home. We did everything ourselves. We were/are still excellent DIYers from home repairs, gardening, crafts and so on.

I came to R2R because I knew no one in the hobby I love so very much and had some problems. There are many, many wonderful people at this forum that are willing to help with my questions. Paying it forward has become somewhat a lost art and together we can make it come back :D

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big believer in " Paying it Forward".
When I first started getting into corals in the late 80's early 90's, I met a guy in Tacoma Washington that would not let me leave his house with out a extra bag of something for free.
At the time, I had so little to give back that I felt like I was taking advantage of him and I told him so.
He just told me that some day I will be in a different situation and then it will be my turn.
So I have tried to make sure that I do my part.

And you have done a wonderful job Paying-It-Forward! :) Thank you!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back