Pearly Jawfish hiding...

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a pearly jawfish into my DT and he burrowed behind one of my rocks, in a spot where I can't see. Will he keep is burrow there? Do they eventually become more social and come out more or do they pretty much stay in that burrow ?

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, you seem to always be the one to comment on my post and give me the most feedback, are all my questions getting annoying yet? lol I really appreciate the responses though, I'm trying to learn all that I can.

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lenny outside of work i have no life. so I work on my club stuff and browse a few different reef sights in order to continue to learn more and to help where I can.

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I really do appreciate it all. Have you ever owned a Pearly Jawfish? Not sure if I should try to maybe squirt some Mysis shrimp right into his current burrow or if he will come out if he is hungry.

irish02bk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a small nano, he was pretty shy and still is after 2 years. They do come out for feeding time and usually hover above the burrow, hope you don't have corals on the ground because they like to move sand around, fish has a great personality....

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want one now, my mandarin dissappeared a long tim ago, I need a new fish that likes to hide. I would turn of the pumps and set some mysis down in front of the burrow. Distract other fish woth more feed so they dont steal.

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you use to put the food into the burrow? Will the mysis shrimp get sucked up into a syringe or more like a small turkey baster?

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
turkey baster will work fine but honestly I wouldnt worry too much about that. food will get to him

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks, lights just came on so I look around the rock and you can see his burrow, not him though. I'll post an update when I feed them later. Maybe he will make an appearance.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 pearly jawfish and they always created numerous burrows in my 29BC. They do have great personalities, but be careful. If you don 't have a cover on your aquarium, they are known to carpet surf.

Good luck.

Reloadeddevil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in bio29. He is always hanging outside of his burrow. Here are few pics. He takes any food, usually he likes reef caviar, flake food formula one and two and he is fat as he can be.

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

Here is FTS.

You can see him at the far left backside.

DSC_0059.jpg

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow beautiful tank. I just fed my fish (Ocellaris Clown and the Pearly Jawfish), clown eats like a champ as usual, but still no sign of the Jawfish. I did notice though more holes around the rock I suspect he is in. So maybe he has been active.

Reloadeddevil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will burrow many holes around your rock until he is really happy with flow and where nobody bothers him, then he will settle down. Try not to force the feeding habbit onto him. Just go with your regular feeding and he wil come around. Remember right he is house hunting right now so getting with the feeding schedule might not be his top to do list. It will take him atleast a week to settle down in his permanent burrow.

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update. My Pearly Jawfish aka Meep ( named by my girlfriend), is so far doing great. He moved his burrow to the other side of the tank. When I came home from work today he was out of the burrow but of course quick scurried back in. then when I was just sitting wactching TV for 10 mintues he slowly came out then started doing his thing. Just floating around his burrow and stabbing at food. It was awesome to watch. Will they always run away when you go near the tank? Is that just a new tank thing or is that just the type of fish that as long as i'm in front of the tank he wont come out?

Reloadeddevil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After just one week, he will be out right above his burrow and wouldnt mind you at all. Post some pics too if you can. He will be the most shiny fish among you other fish. Their fin actually glow white as they can be.

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I can take a pic when he becomes more social but if he notices that I move towards the tank he goes back in. Im nervous now though..I found him outside his burrow in the bottom corner of the tank this morning. Alive and he swam to the others side when he saw me but why would he leave his burrow?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back