Pearly Jawfish hiding...

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my yellow watchman/pistol shrimp were like that at the beginning. now they rule the roost. my Y. Watchman was about an inch when i got him, i had a nano 10g then 45g now and hes close to 4-5 in and will hover over the pistol (who is also huge now) all over the tank. its his own little not-so-secret service. but they have holes and burrows interconnected all over the tank. hes totally used to me now and doesnt run unless i get the camera (giant eye). when i was target feeding i used a 60cc luerlock syringe and a 15in piece of rigid airline tubing, i connected the two with about an inch maybe a little less of the flexible silicon tubing. i used it for everything, corals and shy fish, plus i can get a nice cloud of mysis out around the bubble tip and the clarkii's shoot out and grab it for the nem. that way i know they have a chance to feed the bta and themselves

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting stuff. I fed my fish before with Mysis shrimp, my ocellaris clown chows down on anything that floats by him, because he loves sticking to corners, which I understand is their personality. Anyway, I alwyas feed then sit on a stool in fron tof the tank to observe. Well when I dropped the food in the jawfish must have smelt the mysis so he shot out and one happened to be floating next to his burrow and he reached out and nabbed it but as soon as he saw me he was like uh oh, and went back in. This tank is a FOWLR tank, going to be peaceful community. Do you feel that I should still spot feed my jawfish? Very interested in your knowledge.

Last edited:

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to spot feed. Lenny did you ever find a local reef club? If not you really need too. You will be amazed and how great a reefing community is. If you need some help doing this shoot me a message with your location and i will help you out

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no need to spot like Rockadile said, however if you have greedy tankmates do make sure some is getting near the entrance if he is still being shy. you have seen him eat so i dont think you will have a prob, as long as there is flow on the floor of the tank hell be fine

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I fed them today he shot out of his burrow and ate a bunch of Mysis, so he's definitely doing well!

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent, i have wanted a blue dot for a while but since i already have the watchman ill have to wait until i get the 90gal or larger.... dont want to lose either of them so ill have to wait.

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the yellow watchman and jawfish not compatible? I want to get a diamond watchman goby in the future, I haven't read anything about that being problematic, but in your experiences did you find that out ?

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not that they would be incompatible i just know the vast tunnel systems that my guys make in the 45 would give the jawfish no room so i dont want to stress either of them so im waiting for a bigger tank just to be on the safe side... ive also heard the blue spots can be stressed easily and are sickly in general, however the pearlies like yours are supposed to be very hardy and they dont get a specific illness that the blue spots do, i cant remember the name right now (of the disease).

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the diamond goby is a little different situation because they wont burrow as much, the watchman is a prawn goby and has a pistol partner. thats where the tunnels come in. the pistol makes their lair huge whereas alone the watchman probably would just hide in the cave like the jawfish. rockadile is right on the similar body morph, in a small tank it can cause an issue.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back