petco purple tang rescue action

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aight fellas.

petco usually sells these things for $180 a pop.

i got em for $10 a pop. ich ridden and on their last leg.

i gave them both a 15 minute freshwater dip for the immediate relief.

im setting up a coppered out 40 breeder to treat em. no sand. no lights for this treatment. im actually considering a blackout entirely.

what would YOU do to make it work?

i ask only because i know a ton of you have experiences beyond my own.

thanks all

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be interested to see the suggestions too. The only thing else I might have done is add methylene blue to the freshwater dip then onto a cupramine treated tank. If they were eating I would probably be feeding new life spectrum ich shield along with nori with selcon and garlic. Lots of other ich products but not sure of the efficacy of any of them.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be interested to see the suggestions too. The only thing else I might have done is add methylene blue to the freshwater dip then onto a cupramine treated tank. If they were eating I would probably be feeding new life spectrum ich shield along with nori with selcon and garlic. Lots of other ich products but not sure of the efficacy of any of them.

i had methylene blue but i threw it out on my 265 gallon build. had it for the 220. idk. you just throw a lot of crap out when you go new build.

not sold on garlic but willing to try it.

thanks guys. just jogging my head since i never have these problems START. so been a while fighting fires.

my focus is to save their lives ultimately

they are so bad... its one of the worst ive seen. they wont eat either. ton of "dont buy" flags but they need someone with experience. this was not impulse. $20 to save a couple tangs was more a charity.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.png

this is a snapshot from a video im doing....

gem tang anyone?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as for the light they don't need it I don't run lights on none of my qt's. Now when you are saying coppered out are you saying that you are dropping them in the qt with the copper level already at 0.5 ? If so I have never tried that but then again I never had a fish that badly off but I still don't think it's a good idea it may shock them Imo. I would start the dose off slow with them in there.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as for the light they don't need it I don't run lights on none of my qt's. Now when you are saying coppered out are you saying that you are dropping them in the qt with the copper level already at 0.5 ? If so I have never tried that but then again I never had a fish that badly off but I still don't think it's a good idea it may shock them Imo. I would start the dose off slow with them in there.

never heard of copper shock for a fish. im giving them the copper sulfate suggestion for copperaid (kordon) brand. i bought it because i thought i lost my typical copper treatment from back in the day (which i did) - was cupramine

tangs are pretty hardy though. these just look so far gone... its hard to say what would push them over the edge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

here is an unedited part of the video. i plan on doing a big edited version but this is the raw footage

the second part where i raise salinity. skip to minute 3. like i said. raw footage.

Last edited:

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna fallow along as well. I used that all natural ich treatmentthat's supposed to be reef safe for +5 weeks.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say that CP= chloroquine phosphate is the way to go but my vet will not right a scrip for me so I haven't got the chance to try it out. But you should be good with the copper. Are you also going to treat for worms ? If so what are you planing on using I use prazi cause most of the fish I get are wrasses but always like to hear what others use.

Back