petco purple tang rescue action

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry guys. today was an "after work outing" so i couldnt get back til now.

unfortunately the one ive been having my doubts about perished when i came home. you just have this gut feeling sometimes based on how the fish behave and their lack of appetite.

the other purple tang is still eating and i believe will pull through. however idk what i would do differently.

ive enclosed the video to show the good with the bad.

just hard to have faith when they hide behind rocks like they want to die and wont eat.

Sometimes they are too far gone.
And you absolutely did your best!
I have all the faith in the world that your other one will pull through!

We should definitely give it a name! Since we are all rooting for it!

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok guys. sorry about the quick vid and then getting back a spell later but water changes and other stuff had to be done.

Im gonna note observations and reactions and what i did. sorry but its late and i gotta hit the hay but here is the long and the short of it. - sorry. the videographer hit the hay while i was doing this.

the tang in the box appeared pale. ghostly white. this is a red flag to me.

ive promptly changed 50% of the water in the qt.

i gave a freshwater dip as before but with the additional 20 ml hydrogen peroxide.

like before... i filled half the bucket with fresh water. then i administered 20 ml of hydrogen peroxide.

the dip was ~11 minutes. (had timer for 10 but didnt rush)

during this time i did a flash 50% wc robbing my 30 gallon ato. (as mentioned before)

i administered 6 level scoops of kanaplex to the qt. administered 1ml of cupramine for the time being. (yes i picked that up as well)

tang goes in....

15 minutes later color returns to a purple color.

lot of variables but i covered my bases i believe after the loss.

after work and a demoralizing loss im drained. i will video again in the morning.

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="Russ265, post: 2952275, member: 56506"
i gave a freshwater dip as before but with the additional 20 ml hydrogen peroxide.

like before... i filled half the bucket with fresh water. then i administered 20 ml of hydrogen peroxide.

the dip was ~11 minutes. (had timer for 10 but didnt rush)/QUOTE]

Would you suggest hydrogen peroxide to a fresh water dip for new arrivals after shipping? And if so, would you use that dose? Freshwater dips are something I feel uncomfortable doing with Lionfish, but maybe they could go in a H202 saltwater dip?
Thanks for this thread. I've enjoyed all the information everyone is bringing to it.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Russ, I must say I do admire your due diligence in trying to save these guys. I've learned something new here about the peroxide dips which I think is great. I very much appreciate you doing this and posting all the results whether good or bad.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="Russ265, post: 2952275, member: 56506"

the dip was ~11 minutes. (had timer for 10 but didnt rush)/QUOTE]

Would you suggest hydrogen peroxide to a fresh water dip for new arrivals after shipping? And if so, would you use that dose? Freshwater dips are something I feel uncomfortable doing with Lionfish, but maybe they could go in a H202 saltwater dip?
Thanks for this thread. I've enjoyed all the information everyone is bringing to it.

the freshwater dip shouldnt take the place of proper qt. if you are trying to save the animal, more often than not a fw dip will buy you 24 hours. (barring he isnt starving)

so i personally would not forgo a proper qt and replace it with a very temporary life saving measure as a dip. the animals are stressed enough as it is by the time it reaches your house. dont push it over the edge.

just my personal opinion only.

the added h2o2 was based on research done on various fish done at 25, 50, 75, 150, and 300 ppm for 30 minutes in salt water.

300 ppm was the total loss
25-50 seemed the safer levels and still showed promise in a 5-15 minute fw dip.

Pagerone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see the tang is still going and not dead nice job makes me want to save a fish from petco too also I seen a video on YouTube last night the guys who make that show Tanked support petco I posted a comment letting them k ow how petco treat there fish

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local Petco had a purple tang and guess what it was sick didn't look like ich kind of larger white spots. Price was 149 but marked down 99.99, asked if it was sick and they said yes, asked if they would lower price they said no lol.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone took these fish from the ocean. Who cares if they live or die right? Just as long as the color gets someones attention.
p.s. that was sarcasm

Pagerone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know for how much money they have and the medication right there on there selves it's sick how they let there fish are suffering this was at my local petco

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its truly sad regarding a lot of similar fish like this a petco, we all know certain types of tangs and very tricky to stay health / unstressed. A town away petco had a powder blue that was sick too. What most may not know even high end coral reef pet shops have a hard time keeping or reversing these fish to healthy again even with quarantining them etc..

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its truly sad regarding a lot of similar fish like this a petco, we all know certain types of tangs and very tricky to stay health / unstressed. A town away petco had a powder blue that was sick too. What most may not know even high end coral reef pet shops have a hard time keeping or reversing these fish to healthy again even with quarantining them etc..
image.jpg

mine seems care free and loves his home

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

one week in.

i called "nicki" at the local petco and it was a pretty awkward convo.
she told me that everything was 100000000% fine there. that the api kits and hydrometers did more than enough.

this person has been overseeing petco corals and fish and is an utter disgrace. i wouldnt have been so sour except that she actually thinks that this is normal.

i offered my spare equipment for them to be more succesful and it was still shunned due to "awesome results". -really?

there are no awesome results at this petco.... it is clearly an .... thinking so.

my .02.

anyway. big shout out to @Humblefish again for steering me in the right direction with kanoplex. lot of stuff going well except for the "foggy" eyes on this tang. its not popping out like popeye, but is foggy none the less.

enjoy

Last edited:
Back