petco purple tang rescue action

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like the fin root is getting worse. Hmm...i guess i would treat the gram negative first then hit the fin rot hard after since the columnaris is probably the worst threat right now

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the Tomini I had with it lasted 3 weeks but since it affected his eating he might have starved to death. I cut away would I could (so he could eat), but then it started growing inside of his mouth. :( The fin rot on your PT looks like its getting worse and it also appears the infection has spread to the body. Is he still in cipro?

yeah im administering approx 250mg per 10 gallons

update:
he is still eating but his breathing is way too rapid. fresh water dips are proving less effective due to the fact he cant handle them as long.

yesterday was 10 min. today 5.

no white regrowth but i have a feeling something is attacking his gills.

i did a 50% wc with cupramine only. i dont see cipro being effective.

imo he is going downhill real fast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it have a parasite? Attacking the gills? Like ich or velvet? When you dip him does anything come off?

nothing is falling off man.
ive been fw dipping every 48 hours since that bacteria showed on his mouth.
it is also losing it's effect. this is not ich or velvet ime.

he is losing gill function. like he is shutting down. you just know when they are going downhill.

if it IS bacterial, cipro isnt knocking it out.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the Cu level to be sure its staying within therapeutic range? To protect him from reinfection? All that rock in the QT is likely absorbing some of the copper and then leaching it back out, causing the Cu level in the water to be unstable.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the Cu level to be sure its staying within therapeutic range? To protect him from reinfection? All that rock in the QT is likely absorbing some of the copper and then leaching it back out, causing the Cu level in the water to be unstable.

yeah but its hard to say it's accuracy. .4-.5ppm is where it generally stays (salifert)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never heard of copper shock for a fish. im giving them the copper sulfate suggestion for copperaid (kordon) brand. i bought it because i thought i lost my typical copper treatment from back in the day (which i did) - was cupramine

^^ Are you using Cupramine or Kordon Copper-AID on him? If Cupramine, then 0.4-0.5ppm is within therapeutic range. However, Copper-AID is a chelated copper product with a much higher range (1.5-2.0ppm). You'd also need a total copper test kit (such as API) to measure Copper-AID.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Are you using Cupramine or Kordon Copper-AID on him? If Cupramine, then 0.4-0.5ppm is within therapeutic range. However, Copper-AID is a chelated copper product with a much higher range (1.5-2.0ppm). You'd also need a total copper test kit (such as API) to measure Copper-AID.

i was using copper-aid until i went and bought the kanaplex. went to cupramine since.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well. it's as i expected.
he passed while i was at work.

not sure what i could have done different. I did some reasearch on columnaris and some sites state that if the infection is visible, organs have already started failing.

ironically a lot of them use cipro and peroxide to treat it, i may have caught it late.

triple sulfa and furan2 were also suggested. so both good advice from @Humblefish and @domination2580

source:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

i do have the saltwater version though, so im not sure how that translates.

sorry guys. im drained.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

not sure what i could have done different. I did some reasearch on columnaris and some sites state that if the infection is visible, organs have already started failing.

ironically a lot of them use cipro and peroxide to treat it, i may have caught it late.

triple sulfa and furan2 were also suggested. so both good advice from @Humblefish and @domination2580

source:

sorry guys. im drained.
So sorry to hear. Thank you for all your effort.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BIG UP TO YOU BRO FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS.

thanks man.
tbh. ive had a ton of success stories with petco fish. infact 3 of them are such cases in my display.

but cases like this make me do my usual "poor guy" while looking in their display and move on.

at the VERY least.
i believe i have documented the process as much as i can. any way you look at it, fish were lost and i was wrong... im tired of beating myself up over it.

if i were to do it all over again... i would have put antibiotics in earlier.

i also learned from @Lionfish Lair how to tube feed if a fish looks interested, but wont eat.

Last edited:

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to teach me that one. But it felt good to see all your efforts to save that fish. Made me love our community more keep up all the good works @Russ265 BANGBANG

Goby-won

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, valiant effort. I commend you for trying. I had a whole tank full of ick. I lost 3 of 14 fish. I almost cried when my leopard wrasse died. I only had him for 6 months. This somehow seems worse and I wasn't even there.

FizxVix3n

Feb2018 1st SW tank - BC29
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So proud and grateful that there are people like you in the world willing to try to save a little fish that most would pass by! You've got lots of good karma for your efforts even though he passed. I am sure he tried his hardest to survive just because someone showed him some love! Thank you for being the inspiration for all of us! ❤️

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

source:

sorry guys. im drained.

Im sorry to hear sir. I wish i would have had more time to do more research for you. Idk what else you could have done. Hopefully next time we come across this columnaris we can try a different approach till we get the right one and have a huge outbreak of knowledge on how to treat and cure it. Its part of the learning curve. I dont mean this in a bad way but we cant save em all. At least you can say we tried everything in our power to try to help this guy. Thats all we can expect out of anyone. Im sorry for your loss and i know its going to weigh on me a lil bit because i couldnt help as much as i wanted. One thing we can say is we learned from it and our knowledge expanded! Keep your chin up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back