Petco strikes again

PaReeferJ

ADDICTED.......
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this little guy at Petco today. As you can see he is in real bad shape. What do you think he has. Is it a really bad case of ich?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he definitely has HLLE. And probably also parasites/a bacterial infection to boot. I would treat with copper (or CP) plus a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Kanaplex. He might even need Furan-2 & Metroplex down the road. Plus, I would soak his food/nori with vitamin supplements. In short, he's a project. :rolleyes:

Head & Lateral Line Erosion "HLLE":

Symptoms - HLLE literally looks as though the skin is rotting or peeling off the fish. Affected areas usually include the face and lateral line, and may be white in color.

Treatment options - This is more of a condition than an actual disease. Since no one can agree on the exact cause, all you can do is address all of the following theories regarding HLLE:

1) Stray voltage - Use a titanium ground probe & test your tank for stray voltage.
2) Running carbon - Don’t use it, or use only premium grade carbon.
3) Nutritional deficiency - Feed high quality nutritional foods. Some have had success reversing the effects of HLLE by soaking food in “fish vitamins” and also feeding nori.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No its not ich. It doesnt even look like salt grains. I don't think it's brook either. I wonder if velvet is the culprit here. It looks like mucous covering the spots. I can't think of the other disease but it's on the tip of my tongue. @Humblefish

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
poor thing. I hope Petco gave him to you for free to nurse back to health..

good luck and keep us posted! Sorry I can't help, but I want to offer support!

OP
OP
PaReeferJ

PaReeferJ

ADDICTED.......
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he definitely has HLLE. And probably also parasites/a bacterial infection to boot. I would treat with copper (or CP) plus a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Kanaplex. He might even need Furan-2 & Metroplex down the road. Plus, I would soak his food/nori with vitamin supplements. In short, he's a project. :rolleyes:

Head & Lateral Line Erosion "HLLE":

Symptoms - HLLE literally looks as though the skin is rotting or peeling off the fish. Affected areas usually include the face and lateral line, and may be white in color.

Treatment options - This is more of a condition than an actual disease. Since no one can agree on the exact cause, all you can do is address all of the following theories regarding HLLE:

1) Stray voltage - Use a titanium ground probe & test your tank for stray voltage.
2) Running carbon - Don’t use it, or use only premium grade carbon.
3) Nutritional deficiency - Feed high quality nutritional foods. Some have had success reversing the effects of HLLE by soaking food in “fish vitamins” and also feeding nori.
Oh boy... I will start with copper, antibiotics, and soaking his food with vitamins. See where that get me. Thanks. Would be a great fish to save.

diablo243

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can be done about this!? I'm outraged at my local Petco for the deplorable conditions the salt water tanks and fish are in plus the truly disgusting attitudes and lack of skill by employees. I understand there are shi77y shops out there but this is a huge company that can't take kindly
to bad publicity. Anyone aware of best way to file complaints that will actually get heard?

OP
OP
PaReeferJ

PaReeferJ

ADDICTED.......
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can be done about this!? I'm outraged at my local Petco for the deplorable conditions the salt water tanks and fish are in plus the truly disgusting attitudes and lack of skill by employees. I understand there are shi77y shops out there but this is a huge company that can't take kindly
to bad publicity. Anyone aware of best way to file complaints that will actually get heard?
I wish... Can't tell you how many time I walked in there and the fish are covered in ich.

OP
OP
PaReeferJ

PaReeferJ

ADDICTED.......
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish... Can't tell you how many time I walked in there and the fish are covered in ich.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Humble. HLLE and certainly an infection spread across his body. It's always a good idea to treat with copper with any fish from petco. Lots of vitamins and extra care when it comes to water quality will help quite a bit, in addition to the meds. Be sure to get him eating as much as possible to fatten him up since that's going to help his immune system fight off everything he has going on there. He's going to need as much energy as he can get and the food will give him that.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've tried contacting them numerous times. The problem is so easy to fix. Run copper in your fish only system and have a separate "island tank" for corals/inverts (some Petcos already have this). Keep Metroplex & Kanaplex on hand for other problems. Just running copper wouldn't solve every single problem, but you'd cut way back on the mortality rate.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hlle! That's it! I didnt think it was ich or brook but thought maybe velvet. Ive read about hlle from humble before but couldnt place it off the tip of my tongue! Humble and melypr are correct

mibwb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I don't give them my business....Plus you can't save them all.... Good Luck

Pruett-nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To petco's defense not ALL are bad . The one I go into and not always to buy a fish I look at the fish and to inspect them . I think one of the problems is the staff they hire . But another story for a differnt thread . Good luck with getting it healthy . Very pretty fish and hope you can save it .

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue is ppl keep buying. I also have chameleons and this same thing was discussed constantly due to the poor husbandry of the veiled chams Petco sells. Everytime one is purchased, even in bad shape just to "save" it, it is a green light to Petco to bring in more. It is all about profit.:(

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The biggest issue is ppl keep buying. I also have chameleons and this same thing was discussed constantly due to the poor husbandry of the veiled chams Petco sells. Everytime one is purchased, even in bad shape just to "save" it, it is a green light to Petco to bring in more. It is all about profit.:(
Exactly.
The OP went in there and bought the fish. Now they will think, well that sold, so it's time to order more.

Pruett-nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly.
The OP went in there and bought the fish. Now they will think, well that sold, so it's time to order more.

I disagree because how much money would they loose if he just left the fish and let it die . I applaud @PaReeferJ for thinking enough of trying to save the fish instead of letting it die .

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back