Ph8's 225 build

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many years of wanting to upgrade the time has finally come. This will be my first build thread and even though I have spent a lot of time on other forums I decided to post this on Reef2Reef cause I like the atmosphere here. This tank will be my 3rd tank since entering the hobby back in 2001. So far I have owned an 80 gallon, a 125 and now a 225. Here are some details.

The Tank: Lee Mar 60x36x24 Euro braced with black silicone, beveled edges and an external overflow. The overflow will be on the left side and will have 3 1.5" drains for a bean animal style drain. I havent decided whether to go with 1 or 2 returns.

Sump: Lee Mar 42x24x16 rimless. I will add baffles myself as I see fit during the setup of the tank.

Skimmer Royal Exclusive Alpha 300

Flow: 2- Tunze 6105's and maybe 2- Korralia Evo 1400's if needed. (I know Vortech is the thing but not at this time), maybe later.

Lighting Sfiligoi Stealth 12 x 54watt All T5

Stand The stand will be 1.5" steel tubing with custom made wood face attached with magnets. The wood face is still under construction.
IMG_20110402_135833.jpg

Most of my corals have been LPS in the past but this tank will be more geared tword SPS. Please feel free to ask any questions. I will update as things come together. The tank is supposed to be here this week but we'll see. Its not much but heres a few shots of my current 125.

IMG_20110324_181439.jpg

IMG_20110427_180739.jpg

IMG_20110324_181304.jpg

I would like to thank a few people for helping me throughout my planning of this tank.
Mike- from my LFS Simply Elegant Aquatics (SEA)
Carlos- also from my LFS RIP buddy
JBanks- thanks for answering all my questions and for inspiration from your beautiful tank.
BradleyJ- for an insane ammount of inspiration from all the amazing pictures over the last few years, your wrasses always keep me interested. :tongue:

Thanks to everyone else on this forum and others for all the great info and inspiration. There are truley some really great people in this hobby always eager to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally subscribing, fascinated by the stand build especially!

Whats the cost like on a metal stand? I have been playing with the idea of an upgrade but wasnt sure if thats out of my league.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally subscribing, fascinated by the stand build especially!

Whats the cost like on a metal stand? I have been playing with the idea of an upgrade but wasnt sure if thats out of my league.

FireBretha, the cost of the steel wasn't that bad. Its hard to say how much steel will cost cause the price changes all the time. Im a metal worker by trade though, so I get it a little cheaper than most. If you can do the welding youself or know someone that can that will cut your cost a lot. The wood to cover the steel is probably gonna cost me twice what I paid for the metal. Thanks for your reply and welcome a board.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright Im working on the stand and Im using plywood on the top and bottom where the sump will sit and I have a question if anybody can help. What is the best to coat the plywood with? Ive seen many use Kilz. Does it hold up to the saltwater pretty well and should it be painted after the kilz?

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Having a buddy build the face for the stand cause he will do a better job than me. In the mean time Im thinking about incorporating a controller in the mix. I have never owned a controller and could really use some help with this one if anybody is willing to share some knowledge. Im really not a very technical guy, just looking for something that will controll my 6105's, time my bulbs, shut off the pumps for feeding and maybe help add a couple fail safes to the system for a little piece of mind. If anybody could give some basic info, that would be really cool.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a great start, B! That will be one of the nicest setups in Tucson for sure. You've certainly earned it!

If you want a decent simple controller go with the rkl, but it may not be the best depending on what safeguards you're looking to implement.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to love this tank. I'm excited for you and can't wait to watch it grow.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a great start, B! That will be one of the nicest setups in Tucson for sure. You've certainly earned it!

If you want a decent simple controller go with the rkl, but it may not be the best depending on what safeguards you're looking to implement.

Thanks man. I had the RKL in mind all along, just not sure if its what I want.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to love this tank. I'm excited for you and can't wait to watch it grow.

Thanks Brad. Im really glad to have you tagging along. Hopefully one day my tank can look as good as yours.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting it out. The face for the stand and the tank are still not finished so just gotta be patient I guess. Well, heres a current fish list and a couple pics for fun.

McCoskers Wrasse - Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Red Fin Fairy Wrasse - C. Rubripinnis
Black Ocellaris pair - A. Ocellaris
Yellow Tang - Zebrasoma flaviscens
Blue Tang - Paracanthurus hepatus
Bangai Cardinal - Pterapogon kauderni
Square Anthias - Pseudanthias pleurotaenia
Mandarin Dragonet - Synchiropus picturatus

Future additions will include more anthias, wrasses, genicanthus angels and maybe even a couple butterflies.

IMG_20110510_164542.jpg

IMG_20110510_162443.jpg

Thanks for looking :bigsmile:

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant wait to see the new setup. the 125 is definitely crowded and will give your corals that added room to grow. subscribed!!

bob

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its official, the display tank and sump will be here on Thursday. The stand if finished except the face thats being build by a buddy. Im not sure how long that'll take. The email lee mar sent my local fish store said that the 60x30x24 tank will be delivered on Thursday sorry for any delay. I almost freaked out cause its suposed to be 36 wide. So after lots of stress on my part it turned out to just be a typo. wheeeewwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant wait to see the new setup. the 125 is definitely crowded and will give your corals that added room to grow. subscribed!!

bob

Welcome aboard Bob. Thanks for looking, stay tuned.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what I found today:

IMG_20110519_173123.jpg

RadReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup!! I would remove those blue clove polyp clavularias, they will take over your tank and encroach all your corals. You could put them on an island away from your rockwork. I love the stand, steel and powder coated beaut!

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks RadReef, I know about the cloves, I will deal with them during the tear down. Thanks for tagging along.

Oh, so sexy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait to get some water in this beast.

IMG_20110519_183212.jpg
[/IMG]

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's taking so long haha if it's in your way I'll come grab it! Tagging along

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brad. Im waiting on the wood guy mostly. I cant set it up without the face on cause my kids will play in it:bigsmile:. I got the sump today too, Ill post some pics as soon as I find somebody to help me lift it out of my truck. All my friends and familly are gonna hate me by the time this build is finished.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I need some help if anybodys out there. Heres the sump, I plan to put one baffle after the skimmer but was wondering if I could split it with baffles in the other direction for a fuge and return chamber. So the fuge will be in the front and the return pump in the back. Thoughs, anyone done it this way???????

IMG_20110520_201051.jpg
[/IMG]

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back