OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What form of carbon dosing were you doing? Also, why did you decide to stop? Were you dosing any bacteria product with the carbon?

No more real estate? Time for another tank of some sort (frag or otherwise)

I was using vinegar for years and used Zeo bacteria. I stopped cause I started having some cyano issues and decided not to dose while I took care of it. While not dosing I let my Alk creep up a bit and noticed my corals were looking better and the cyano stopped. Keeping a close eye on NO3 and PO4 I realized that nutrients weren't really an issue. It's been a few months now, and things still seem better. I'm not sure where the improvements were but my life is easier and my tank is happier so I'm rolling with it.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video my friend tank looks great. I see that you got a gyre. Love mine.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike, I didn't intend on getting one and actually talked myself out of it but then a local guy decided his was too loud and gave me a deal I couldn't pass up. So of coarse I set it up and fell in love with it and now I want another one, dang it.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It saddens me to report that the venustus angel had to get kicked out for he was not a nice boy and liked to eat my corals. Im pretty sure I know the mystery of why my Red dragon colony went down hill so fast now. He will be going to a great home with the rest of my jerk fish including my mitratus. Oh well, moving on…..

Judging by this picture I should've known all along, pretty fish put me into denial I guess.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a real bummer Brett. Why can't everyone just get along?

Glad you were able to figure out the issue with your coral, just too bad it was such a pretty fish.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He was beautiful though!

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, Im starting to go through one of those frustrating times in this hobby. Im considering going completely reef safe with my stocking again, well almost. What I mean is no algels with the exception of Genicanthus species. My old man hippo tang is also on the list of trouble makers along with my regal angel. Im not gonna make any quick decisions on this but its frustrating taking three steps back with the corals sometimes. For now Im gonna see what kinda difference it makes to have the venustus out and go from there but the Regal (I love this fish and hate to do it) may be next. The Tang is another story cause he is virtually impossible to nab and is not dumb enough to go in my trap.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear the angels weren't behaving. I've been there and can say that I was so surprised at the growth once the coral-nipping fish were removed. Don't get frustrated -- just figure out your priorities and make a decision based on that. I really like angels and butterflies but I like corals and the thought of a mature/colorful reef more, so the decision wasn't that hard for me at the end of the day.

Or, maybe you decide that it's time for a second tank! :)

Re: catching the tang -- maybe try using a small barbless hook? I've read of people having good success with that on larger fish like tangs without any long-term damage.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Eric, I agree man and I have a buddy with an awesome FOWLR that's gonna take the Venustus. I'm not ready to let the Regal go though and I'm gonna hang on to him for now.

The tang is another issue. He comes with some moral obligations. He's been with me a long time and at one time had a really bad case of HLLE, most likely caused by some cheap carbon but who knows. He looks like scar face and is one of those fish that is borderline ready to be put down but just keeps on trucking. I feel awful for him sometimes and think he's having a hard time eating from the water column. I've just been trying to make him comfortable and feed him lots of nori but now I don't know what to do since he's eating coral. It's not like I can find him a new home.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after much carnage and denial on my part the Regal angel is gone and the hippo tang is in my QT. I went through and chopped all the dead tips off my acros, hopefully they can recover, well most of them. Im kinda in a state of aquarium depression at this point, really didn't want to let the Regal go.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the regal. My emperor is in the mid color changing stage and has been nipping on acro tips. For the longest time I thought it was ALK burn or dinos but it was mostly denial. Surprisingly the bad habit has stopped except for the occasional nip.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the regal Brett. I know you have had a lot of challenge with that fish and I know you didn't want to give him up.

Keep your head up. I know first hand what it is like to have things go other than as planned in our tanks and how it can take the wind out of your sails. Once those corals start growing and coloring up again your excitement will return.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I appreciate all the nice comments above, sorry I disappeared. For anybody that didn't hear the story, the issue was a faulty alk reading. It was crazy high and took me far too long to figure out what was going on. The test read in the 7's and then I let my alk creep up a bit slowly which wasn't an issue except it wasn't really in the 7's. Long story short it was really a lot higher.

Fast forward and while I lost a bunch of stuff I can't replace and had to sale some of my favorite fish, I did learn from this. I'm back doing things the way that makes the most sense for me, nice and complicated! I honestly like my tank better this way and think I'm a better reefer this way. Keeping things simple is not for me and never was.

Now the tank is starting to rebound. I'm seeing polyps again and a little new growth. The goal is to grow the nicest sps corals I've grown yet. Most of my established colonies were either removed or severely trimmed and starting to rebound. I have some new space to play with now and more than enough frags to fill it.

Moving forward with fish, I'm undecided if I'll add almost reef safe Angels again or not. I go back and forth with it, love them but it's also cool to have some freedom with corals at the same time. I can have some Zoanthids again! We have learned that they do make great indicators of unhealthy sps corals, they knew before me. Just one of many things I should've caught but didn't .

Just wanted to let you guys know I'm still kicking, stay tuned for something new.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back