PhosBan 550 Reactor modification for biopellets

ChrisAndJulie2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals,
I was using phosban in my phosban reactor got my nitrates under control along with better "husbandry". I was talking to my LFS and he mentioned biopellets.

I tinkered and tinkered with my reactor and finally got it to get the beads to tumble.

Here is what I did and I apologize ahead of time as I don't really have any pictures of the process.

It was super simple actually once I figured it out.

1. I removed the very bottom red plastic screen and foam piece from the very bottom.
2. I then superglued the tube to the upper red plastic screen
3. Put in about a third of the total required bio pellets and turned on the unit.
4. For my PhosBan 550 the Petco King 225 GPH seems to get a nice tumbling effect.

I am currently using the aquavitro biogen's. I will probably slowly switch over to Bulk Reef Supply's biobellets as they are more cost effective.

If you feel to drop any other pointers for biopellets feel free to drop a note, good or bad.

Chris

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just heads up, did the same and worked well for 1 year and then the cheap bottom plastic wore out and pellets sprayed throughout my system. Over time, the pellets impacting the bottom wore a hole in it. If it was anything other than cheap plastic, this would have worked long term.

OP
OP
C

ChrisAndJulie2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, thanks for the heads up. May look into a better reactor. This current reactor sits in our Trigger sump. I don't really trust the rubber 90* hose fittings.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, thanks for the heads up. May look into a better reactor. This current reactor sits in our Trigger sump. I don't really trust the rubber 90* hose fittings.
I never trusted the rubber 90 degree house fittings but never had one fail or slip on me. I unfortunately found out the hard way that it is really cheap plastic on the bottom which is sadly where all the pellet abrasion will occur.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back