Phyto Bloom in a Home Aquarium...

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...how many people have experience with a phyto bloom in a home aquarium? I culture my own phtyo (nannochloropsis oculata) at home and last weekend (the 7th/8th) I was cleaning my culture vessels (aka 1 gal gatorade jugs) and poured probably close to 2 cups into my 125. And I thought all was fine...

...Until...

Over the last 4-5 days my aquarium started getting a little cloudy, which is usually a sign to change my carbon. So I was a little busy and didn't get to it until this past weekend, all the while my tank slowly got a little cloudier, but the corals are all happy (duh, there is plenty of phyto to go around) and the fish aren't stressed.

Wellllll.....then this happened:

IMG_20170117_182158.jpg
IMG_20170117_184231.jpg

So I am thinking now would be the time to upload my collection of filter feeders. Any recommendations there?

Also, what are your best suggestions for general removal of my bloom?

Obviously it only bloomed due to excess nutrients, which amuses me as my testing level of NO3 is usually around 2-5 and my PO4 around .02-.04.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked with the owner of my LFS who has been in the hobby for 15+ years herself, I am going to try a cheap alternative first (as a teacher my salary is rather limited).

She recommended I try getting some live clams from a seafood supplier, due to the time of day I wound up at Publix. $10 later and I am home with 20 Cherrystone Clams waiting on them to come to temp before putting them in a basket in my tank. I was told that 2-3 of these clams can clean out a 10 gal tank full of phyto in just a couple of hours.

The plus side is, I like to make my own fish food and will now have some "gut loaded" clams to add to the menu. :rolleyes:

Here are some of tonight's shots and a video.
IMG_20170118_214630.jpg
IMG_20170118_214622.jpg
IMG_20170118_214633.jpg

In the morning I will take some more photos before heading to work. We will see how these guys did over night.

Think I am putting a new spin on the phrase "happy as a clam".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV unit will take care of the bloom and then the carbon and sock filters should mop up the rest.
We are hosting our Reef Club meeting on Sunday, just not sure the UV sterilizer will get us clear in time. What do you think?

In any other instance I would let it just clear on its own, add some more pod cultures and let them enjoy the feast.

I also thought the clams would be an easy addition to a home made fish food later on.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are hosting our Reef Club meeting on Sunday, just not sure the UV sterilizer will get us clear in time. What do you think?

In any other instance I would let it just clear on its own, add some more pod cultures and let them enjoy the feast.

I also thought the clams would be an easy addition to a home made fish food later on.

UV units work pretty fast. 24 hours might be all it takes; depends on the strength of the unit. I had to put one on my macro algae cultures for this same exact reason. It cleared up within a day, and it was a 1000 liter tank.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV units work pretty fast. 24 hours might be all it takes; depends on the strength of the unit. I had to put one on my macro algae cultures for this same exact reason. It cleared up within a day, and it was a 1000 liter tank.
Thank you. Appreciate the help. I don't own a UV sterilizer but I think I have access to one I could borrow for a couple days. I will see if I can throw it on my tank and get it cleared up before everyone is over.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the clams work?
They have only been in the thank roughly 10 hours, I forgot to take a photo before leaving the house this morning.

It does appear that the water is a little bit clearer this morning than when I went to bed. For example, in the photo above with the clams in the basket, you can see that there are clams but no real details and this morning I can see detail on the clams.

bruleyii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if thats the clams or something else like carbon cleaning it out.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked to confirm that what you have is phyto growing and not bacteria? The cloudiness is milky white in some pictures which leans more towards the direction of a bacterial bloom. Isn't nannochloropsis oculata a green colored phyto?

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked to confirm that what you have is phyto growing and not bacteria? The cloudiness is milky white in some pictures which leans more towards the direction of a bacterial bloom. Isn't nannochloropsis oculata a green colored phyto?
It does look a little more white in the photos, but if you pull it into a glass or white bucket it is a clear and distinct green. I also pulled it up on my webcam yesterday and it looked a really dark green through the camera.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20170119-113102~2.png

Once you get past where the lights are strongest it is easier to see the green tint on the water.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170119_201821.jpg
IMG_20170119_201709.jpg

Turn off the blue lights and you can be green with the opposite of envy...Un-envy? Non-envy?

Or simply take a moment and laugh, that is all I can really do at the moment.

My tank has gone full Hulk :D:D:D

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing last night's photos with tonight's, I would say I am a little clearer. I had turned my lights back to their automatic schedule today but for tomorrow I have set them to be off all day, to hopefully reduce the amount of energy the phyto has to reproduce

I also added about 14-15 more clams tonight so I now have 35ish in the basket.

I have talked to a friend who will loan me her UV sterilizer she is not using if it is not significantly clearer by Saturday morning. That will give me over 24 hours for it to run and clear up my water before I have everyone over Sunday evening.

Why do tanks seem to get worse when people are coming over but are perfectly happy otherwise?

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's update:

Installed my friend's UV sterilizer that I borrowed today.

1pm:
IMG_20170121_125827.jpg

9pm:
IMG_20170121_205702.jpg

Side note: I am working on closing in the stand, hence the appearance and then disappearance of the panels and cleats that I will be using to hold them on.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back