Picked up a new acro... has holes?

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up some unknown acro at a LFS, because it had what seemed like a nice yellow color. I was reluctant about it, because it had what seemed like little holes on the body and no polyp extension.

Does anyone know what kind of acro this is, and what these holes could be? I've tried to see if there are any polyps hiding in the holes but it's too hard to see.

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see on the top left acro in the dish. Unfortunately that looks like a dead SPS skeleton to me. Could be my eyes. The wholes are where the sps polyps were. What does the coral smell like? A dead sps skeleton will not smell super sweet and has a different odor, also they feel different than an alive one. Hard to explain, but once you have dealt with enough of them you know what i'm talking about.

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( I asked 3 workers at the LFS about the holes and none of them told me it's a sign that it's dead (Tong's Tropical Fish and Pets in Orange County). Will be going back today to see if I can get a refund...

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.. and that echinata on the right in the first picture also looks dead now. The branches look like hollow tubes, and the coral looks white.

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just got back from Tong's. They took back their promise once I was there and told me they cannot exchange the echinata because it was ok when I bought it. I got upset because I would have just left it in my tank to try to recover instead of bringing it back, so I started arguing... and the owner reluctantly gave me a 20 dollar credit (got it for 45) probably just to shut me up in front of all her customers. Oh, and she took the echinata and put it back in her tank, so she can try to recover it. Not to mention, there was no apology for selling me a dead coral and refusing me a refund (Only store credit).

Needless to say, I won't be back. Watch out for Tong's Tropical Fish and Pets in Orange County, they really couldn't give two ***** about their customers.

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just got back from Tong's. They took back their promise once I was there and told me they cannot exchange the echinata because it was ok when I bought it. I got upset because I would have just left it in my tank to try to recover instead of bringing it back, so I started arguing... and the owner reluctantly gave me a 20 dollar credit (got it for 45) probably just to shut me up in front of all her customers. Oh, and she took the echinata and put it back in her tank, so she can try to recover it. Not to mention, there was no apology for selling me a dead coral and refusing me a refund (Only store credit).

Needless to say, I won't be back. Watch out for Tong's Tropical Fish and Pets in Orange County, they really couldn't give two ***** about their customers.
When starting sps it is best to purchase from a good LFS first..that way you can get healthy coral. After you get the hang of it, you can purchase from anywhere. Honestly when i purchase coral the only reason i talk to employees of the LFS is to bag up my coral. No advice needed, that way if it dies or is dying its my doing not theirs.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back