Pipe fish in mid to high flow tank

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to see if anyone has experience with putting a pipe fish in a medium to high flow mixed reef with a focus on acro tank? I'd be putting it in to deal with red bugs on acros as a natural approach to keeping them in check. I've got a 125 gallon tank with high flow in some areas and calm areas as well, specifically the sides.

Thanks.

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO i wouldnt use a pipe fish just for red bugs. pipe fish need a tank with low flow the opposite of a medium to high flow reef. they'll starve and eventually die off. Dose interceptor and get rid of the bugs.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to see if anyone has experience with putting a pipe fish in a medium to high flow mixed reef with a focus on acro tank? I'd be putting it in to deal with red bugs on acros as a natural approach to keeping them in check. I've got a 125 gallon tank with high flow in some areas and calm areas as well, specifically the sides.

Thanks.

A few folks are using dragon face pipefish to assist with red bug prevention, but like Aaron23 mentioned I wouldn't rely on it as your go-to method at eradicating an existing infestation. Outside of that, pipefish belonging to the "flag fin" family can generally thrive in mid to high flow tanks, but they likely will have less of an impact preventing pests.

Sense of nature

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Dragon face in my 220 reef & he/she does just fine .
Mostly wrasse occupants,w/ typical yellow tang & clown fish also

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back