Planning upgrade and transfer

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on upgrading my tank from a 125 to an 180. I plan on using the same stand, sump and related equipment. I plan on emptying my current tank, place my livestock in several containers while remove my current tank, replace it with the 180, redo plumbing, aquascape, add water, add corals and fish all in one long day.

Here's the catch... my current plumbing is for a bean animal drain with rigid pvc. I'll have to redo the plumbing using different pvc because my current plumbing won't fit. I'll have to glue new fittings and pipe. I won't be able to wait 24 hours to refill the tank. Will the uncured pvc glue cause an issue with the tank? Any suggestions if so? I'm fairly certain that the glue will cause an issue. I'm stumped, I'm not sure how to figure this out.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the blue glue as that will cure rapid and will be ok.
Why not plumb your tank and fill it but leave rocks and life stock out till the next day and let it run overnight with AC!

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the blue glue as that will cure rapid and will be ok.
Why not plumb your tank and fill it but leave rocks and life stock out till the next day and let it run overnight with AC!

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm concerned about the animals health being put in some kind of crude container.

AC = air conditioning?

I'm not familiar with blue pvc glue? What brand is that?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly advise against a 'one long day' plan. There will undoubtedly be surprises & setbacks, especially with the plumbing. Be ready for those critters to be in their temporary holding for at least a few days, if not a week.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not op.. but doing something similar except I'm switching my stand and not the tank.. but still will need to break stuff down and seperate it. Are standard Rubbermaid containers from target okay? I have a few 20gallon buckets for water.. just thinking it would be easier to aquascape in a bucket that is lower. Just unsure if they're gonna leech anything or whatnot.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly advise against a 'one long day' plan. There will undoubtedly be surprises & setbacks, especially with the plumbing. Be ready for those critters to be in their temporary holding for at least a few days, if not a week.

After thinking about this for a while, I have to agree with you. I hope I would be able to get it done in a day; however, the reality of situation is that just won't happen.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back