Playing With Fire?

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Hippo, Naso, Yellow and Desjardini Sailfin Tang in my 180 tank, along with a Flame Angel, Malanarus Wrasse, Bangii Cardinal, a pair of Pajama Cardinals and a pair of clowns. All the of tangs get along fine (with the occasional nipping etc.)

All of the fish have been in the tank for 6 months or more. No disease (the Hippo has had a few white spots from time to time) and everyone is fat and happy.

I was at the LFS yesterday and fell in love with a Mimic Tang that was gorgeous. Am I playing with fire if I add it to the tank?

I don't have any bioload issues. The tank is plumbed to the basement where I have multiple sumps/refugiums etc.:

20161111_141535_zpso13vuh38.jpg

20161121_203555_zpsidizwaki.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All your tangs are different genus, and you don't have an Acanthurus, so I can get the logic. I just had to put my mimic tang in an alternate tank because my blueline trigger would not allow the new addition. Your sailfin tang is of similar attitude with new arrivals, especially tangs even if of a different genus. If you are happy now, I I think tank size wise it may get a bit crowded, Yes you are playing with fire.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.....it is hard to get a tankful of fish that all get along....it doesn't take much to throw off the balance. I speak from experience lol.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All your tangs are different genus, and you don't have an Acanthurus, so I can get the logic. I just had to put my mimic tang in an alternate tank because my blueline trigger would not allow the new addition. Your sailfin tang is of similar attitude with new arrivals, especially tangs even if of a different genus. If you are happy now, I I think tank size wise it may get a bit crowded, Yes you are playing with fire.

Spot on advice here, and I have a mimic myself, it's pretty peaceful, and my bet would be too peaceful to stand up to the sailfin who would most likely cause you the most issues w/ a new tang tank mate.
6mo is still relatively new, what you have right now was pushing it already, especially w/ the sail fin

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback guys.

That is sort of the direction I was leaning. I have lucked out with my tang combo and everyone getting along. Why mess with that?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my tank, I would call it good for tangs and hopefully they remain peaceful(though I'd have an eye on that SF) and I personally would add some anthias to add some color and variety

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terry, you have a beautiful tank there! Just thought I'd throw that in here. I as well wouldn't mess with the balance you have as of now. As others have stated it doesn't take much to mess that up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back