Please read everyone!!! This is very important!!!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We may not all agree on lighting, husbandry, etc, etc, etc..... But one thing that we all can agree on is that we love our hobby and don't want to see it destroyed by a sneaky twit who uses lies, deceit and cares nothing of those people who feed their familys by doing what they love.

Word!

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, if you impose a law like this, i'm betting people will try a little harder.

Try a little harder???? Are you serious? This is really off topic, and has nothing to do with what is going on in Hawaii.

Just a little FYI. It is very difficult to breed most marine fish/invertebrates. Scientists, research groups, hobbyists, and aquaculture facilities are working on this. Marine fish aren't like fresh water. Many of them have a very long larval stage. Not all of them are as "easy" as a clownfish. Clowns lay eggs on rocks, larvae are easily collected, and have a larger larvae. Getting a mated pair of large pelagic spawners, and having an adequate size system to get them to breed is battle #1. Most marine fish release their eggs into the water column, and they stay floating for days/weeks before they hatch. When they do hatch, the larvae are extremely small. Finding the correct size food, and culturing that food is very difficult. Actually getting a larvae through metamorphosis can take upwards of 45-60 days. To say that people aren't trying is a pretty bold statement. There is a large contingent of marine biologists and hobbyists that are working on this. We are making strides, but it's a lot harder then most realize.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a positive note you got your 500 signatures you needed!:bigsmile:

I would like to caution people about posting before getting the facts. There is too much at stake for the hobby and people in the hobby.

It is easy to sit back and think "This is not in my backyard and will not affect me" The fact of the matter is like I said I am not against regulation of this hobby and it is very heavily regulated in Hawaii.

What I am against is an outright ban that is not based on any facts. If that occurs in Hawaii it can occur anywhere. Snorkel Bob is spewing outright lies to push forth his own agenda.

I for one can attest many years ago when I too was an ignorant tourist. I rented snorkel gear and unknowlingly likely caused damage by stepping on the coral reef as there was no clear warning or instruction from when you rent from his places. You just get this little map that says in small print "don't snorkel in this place".

Being in this hobby has made me much more aware of how precious and sensitive these creatures are and much more concerned with their care. If Snorkel Bob had his way the saltwater hobby as we know it would be dead.

(Sorry about the big letters. Not trying to yell just accidentally clicked on something and couldn't figure out how to change it...:squigglemouth:)

OP
OP
wetpetshawaii

wetpetshawaii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I oppose this bill internet testimonies!
If anyone(businesses or hobbyist) wants me to pass word on to our politicians about how you truly feel about our hobby.....i will be personally making sure they will receive it....

I will be a voice for the 500+ people who have a grave concern over the the passing of this bill....

You can email me your testimony if you would like to.....i am your voice!!!

mr_X

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a little harder???? Are you serious? This is really off topic, and has nothing to do with what is going on in Hawaii.

Just a little FYI. It is very difficult to breed most marine fish/invertebrates. Scientists, research groups, hobbyists, and aquaculture facilities are working on this. Marine fish aren't like fresh water. Many of them have a very long larval stage. Not all of them are as "easy" as a clownfish. Clowns lay eggs on rocks, larvae are easily collected, and have a larger larvae. Getting a mated pair of large pelagic spawners, and having an adequate size system to get them to breed is battle #1. Most marine fish release their eggs into the water column, and they stay floating for days/weeks before they hatch. When they do hatch, the larvae are extremely small. Finding the correct size food, and culturing that food is very difficult. Actually getting a larvae through metamorphosis can take upwards of 45-60 days. To say that people aren't trying is a pretty bold statement. There is a large contingent of marine biologists and hobbyists that are working on this. We are making strides, but it's a lot harder then most realize.
then i think we need to do without. you all act as if it's a life and death thing here- and it is, but not for you, for the thousands and thousands of marine creatures that we pull from the oceans for our own amusement. this hobby is directly hurting the oceans and reefs. and i'm not pointing a finger at anyone, without pointing it at myself as well.

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then i think we need to do without. you all act as if it's a life and death thing here- and it is, but not for you, for the thousands and thousands of marine creatures that we pull from the oceans for our own amusement. this hobby is directly hurting the oceans and reefs. and i'm not pointing a finger at anyone, without pointing it at myself as well.

I think this conversation you are having with everyone in the hobby should be started in another thread. You are taking a stance, but are still in the hobby. I'm not going to judge, but there are a lot bigger things hurting the reef then collection. Saying that collection hurts the ocean and reef is a vague statement that should be expounded upon.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this conversation you are having with everyone in the hobby should be started in another thread. You are taking a stance, but are still in the hobby. I'm not going to judge, but there are a lot bigger things hurting the reef then collection. Saying that collection hurts the ocean and reef is a vague statement that should be expounded upon.

I totally agree with this statement and I urge you mr_X to better inform yourself on what is really going on because it seems to me that you have chose a side without even fully knowing what is at stake and why this is even a problem.

Lets keep this on track and if you wish you can continue your conversation in it's own thread.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Bob and Mr. X have their facts straight. According to the collection reports 3-400,000 yellow tangs are removed from Hawain reefs every year.That doesn't include the black market collecting either. There has been a 47% reduction in their population in the collection areas over the last decade. Luckily, these silly petitions usually end up in the trash when important decisions need to be made. Educate yourselves....Impacts of a Hawaiian marine protected area network on the abundance and fishery sustainability of the yellow tang, Zebrasoma flavescens (Jeremy Claisse) - Academia.edu

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testimony sent via email. Again not oppossed to regulation . I totally am for conservation and am very much pro having the facts with actual data before a blanket ban is proposed with a lot of false information.

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are really causing such a huge dent in reef fish in Hawaii why dont they do what they do here in Florida with Grouper,snook,red fish, etc etc regulate them and create seasons for them. They do this with fish over here to insure the populations still thrive. If were taking to many yellow tangs I understand. Instead of banning them out right they could have a 2 month season for catching them and ban them for collection the other 10. This would keep both sides happy and fish on the reef. Also during those 10 months you cant catch them if some idiot wants to try and sneak them slap him with a 10000 dollar fine like they do here.

I see points to both sides of this story BUT we're all adults here and can learn to work together to keep everyone happy. Banning them out right is one sided.

OP
OP
wetpetshawaii

wetpetshawaii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys the fight is on!!!! tomorrow morning is the city council hearing tomorrow to determine a future for Hawaiian Aquarium fish availability......thank you everyone who took the time out to sign the petition...Im gonna try and use it tomorrow to show our state lawmakers how many people in the mainland contribute to both our economy in Hawaii and in the USA from this aquarium industry.... I agree with having rules set in place to protect our resources but I strongly oppose this bill because I do not agree on a total blanket on aquarium collecting in Hawaii.....mahalo and Aloha! God Bless

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back