Plumbing Guru needed for Saltwater mixing station

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting together a 320 gallon peninsula build, would like to get most of my small fish room done. I have (3) 60 gallon round drums that I would like to place under the landing of some adjoining stairs. The problem is that I would like to be able to use the valves from the next room so as I get older I don't have to crawl around on the floor turning valves. I have an access door the height of the drums so that I can add salt to the first drum for mixing, second drum for mixing, and the third drum for storing the premixed salt water.

OP
OP
lazidog

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am flexible about the valve type, I have a good size pump to move the water.

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 8.12.11 PM.png

OP
OP
lazidog

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on placing all of valves on one end?Help?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Output side of the pump is relatively easy. I did a crude sketch below. Yes, the "T" will reduce a little flow, but it shouldn't matter given you're simply mixing water. Use two 45's if it bothers you.

The input valves along the floor I guess could be accomplished in a similar fashion, you'd just have to vary the fitting to get it to one input for your pump since there are three inputs.

Just remember, I doubt you're using a self-priming pump, so you'll need gravity to get the water to the pump. If you could elevate the tanks, the you might be able to do a similar type "tree" of valves for the input side.

This make not make sense in writing, but it does in my head...lol.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask another question...why three containers? Why not just mix and store in the same container? You may have a good reason, I'm just curious.

OP
OP
lazidog

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could get by with 2 tanks but I have 3 tanks and 3 will fit under my stair landing. My plan is to use my APEX DOS to do a continuous water change, with a mixing tank and a holding tank for saltwater I would have the ability to not stop this process for mixing and also could keep an extra 50 gallons on hand for emergency situations or doing larger water changes if needed. I plan to run a 40 and 90 gallon quarantine system using the waste water from the DOS water changes, continually adding fresh tank water to the 40 gallon and the 90 would be more for treating fish only with prazipro and cupramine as needed before going into the 40 where there would also be coral present.

My system will have a two sump system, 80 gallon and a 100 gallon.

OP
OP
lazidog

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your drawing would require 3 more valves at the bottom if I am correct

OP
OP
lazidog

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they make 3way pool valves but am not sure how good they are

nwayne567

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Output side of the pump is relatively easy. I did a crude sketch below. Yes, the "T" will reduce a little flow, but it shouldn't matter given you're simply mixing water. Use two 45's if it bothers you.

The input valves along the floor I guess could be accomplished in a similar fashion, you'd just have to vary the fitting to get it to one input for your pump since there are three inputs.

Just remember, I doubt you're using a self-priming pump, so you'll need gravity to get the water to the pump. If you could elevate the tanks, the you might be able to do a similar type "tree" of valves for the input side.

This make not make sense in writing, but it does in my head...lol.

Im on my phone so I can't draw, but good idea in the drawing,I agree with the 45 degree angles too. you can use 90 degrees but I have seen an air bubble getting caught before, so 45 is an easier transition for the flow. Oh can I suggest putting an extra valve right before the input and out put on the pump, just incase the pump fails and you need to change the pump out to a new one

nwayne567

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might sound like overkill but it just makes life so much easier incase anything happens

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely, at a minimum, use some unions before and after pump for maintenance reasons. Great suggestion @nwayne567.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back