Popcorn ceiling killing my hard coral?

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer coral looked about the same as yours 2 days ago gel looking on top and now looks like this,I removed dipped in iodine and revive and may cut off the dead

1487872074037413799951.jpg

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to hear you are having issues with the tank.

Has this happened since moving to the new house?
If so, could there be some kind of chemical in the house? Insecticide, air freshener, cleaners???

If any of these things were sprayed on the ceiling and the ceiling is falling into the tank it could be contaminating the tank.

Also, some paints have a mold retardant in them. I don't know how much it would take to have a negative impact on the tank.

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not stick hands in tank!!!!! Process of elimination. Check all pumps 1 at a time .then move on from there. Even nee stuff can break also

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes multiple stuff can fail..skimmer pumps like to crap out on me and heaters so those are the first things I check

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stick my hands in the tank all of the time. Including today. But I'm on carpet there is no metal in the vicinity.

Anything of mine that is electrical and sits in the water is plugged into one power strip that is plugged into a GFCI outlet. So I put the probe in an unplugged one by one. Each thing made it drop by about 2 or 3 points. Until the Maxi jet 1200 that is in my refugium. That one made it drop from 44 to 20. So obviously that one is an issue that I will correct. However why am I still getting a reading of 20 with the problem one unplugged. I checked every other plug that goes in there and none made it drop more than a couple of points. So is 20 the normal reading

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You read under 1 volt for your entire system? How many pumps and such do you have in the water? And do you run a grounding probe?

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked my frag tank 4.5 volts.my skimmer pumps going in this tank.unpluged skimmer and I'm rt around 1 volt on this tank .

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 plugs pl. My return pump three recirculation pumps my skimmer and my heater

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about if a grounding probe will effect the multi meter,I read so much mixed things on grounding probe that I decided( my own preference) that I do not want to go that route, as far as equipment I have more stuff that is dc voltage then ac.I do not know if this would effect a multi meter also.but seems like your making some progress.sometimes a few things can go wrong at once. When it rains it pours.take your time double check stuff

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 0.02 on the voltage. I wouldn't be overly concerned with that reading. Due to induction from all of the plugged in equipment most non grounded tanks show some voltage. My guess is that if you turned on/off each piece of equipment to isolate the cause, you would find that each one contributes a little to your voltage reading. Since that voltage has no way to get to ground, your inhabitants should be blind to its presence. Current is not flowing, the tank just sits at a higher potential relative to ground.

Any aerosol spray get introduced inadvertently .. anything from bug spray to lysol? Exterminator?

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 volts to me I would dbl check multi meter dbl check all equipment. A outlet is kicking out 120 volts your tank is catching 20 volts .we charge phones and laptops with that much electricity .

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Five of the six plugs put in between 2 and 4 volts. One of them puts and roughly 24 volts. The only sprays we use in my house is a carpet cleaner for pet stains. But that is sprayed close to the floor andnot within 5 feet of the fish tank. I don't think that's a problem

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google it, u should not have that much voltage I looked couldn't find anyone with those numbers unless something was bad or things were bad.maybe use a bucket of water test stuff one by one ac voltage is not good in tanks

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the grounding probe is affecting the readings it helps pull voltage out , so I would do bucket tests losing corals sucks and all I want to see is the problem solved.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back