Possible Uronema

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the fish bad luck seems to continue. My yellow scopes tang has these pink marks all over. Looks like bruises under the skin. All my fish are currently in QT tanks and in copper. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow. Is there any other things it could be based on the description? If it's Uronema and the fish are in copper, what can I treat the whole QT tank with?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a really bad (gram negative) bacterial infection. Post photos if you can.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best I can get. He seems to be swimming fine and eating. When I first turn the lights on these areas are black/gray.

20161228_154551.jpg

20161228_154627.jpg

20161228_154640.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not Uronema; probably a bacterial infection of some sort: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacterial-infections.191511/

Also, have you tested the SG in your QT lately? High or even fluctuating salinity can cause capillary congestion leading to rupture of the capillaries. This is most evident on yellow or light colored fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I dose with copper in the tank or does it need to be in the food?

Yes, you can dose antibiotics in conjunction with copper.

They store recommends the Dr gs anti bacterial food over anything else. what do you think?

In this particular situation, I would dose the water. Food soaked antibiotics usually only works on internal infections and sometimes mild external bacterial infections.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can dose antibiotics in conjunction with copper.

In this particular situation, I would dose the water. Food soaked antibiotics usually only works on internal infections and sometimes mild external bacterial infections.

I ended up getting the food. I will go back tomorrow for the powder form. I checked the salinity and it's 1.021, which is on par from what it always is. Could a high copper level contribute? It seemed like it was over 2PPM (I'm using coppersafe). I did about a 15 gallon water change in this tank which is a 40 gallon. He seemed to perk up and turned his normal color (he was a little pale). These spots are still there but seem more "black" then pink/purple. There' other fish in there and don't seem to have the same symptoms.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting the food. I will go back tomorrow for the powder form. I checked the salinity and it's 1.021, which is on par from what it always is. Could a high copper level contribute? It seemed like it was over 2PPM (I'm using coppersafe). I did about a 15 gallon water change in this tank which is a 40 gallon. He seemed to perk up and turned his normal color (he was a little pale). These spots are still there but seem more "black" then pink/purple. There' other fish in there and don't seem to have the same symptoms.

Copper is a immunosuppressant, so elevated levels could hamper the immune system from fighting off an infection.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.. Is there one antibiotic you recommend or were you saying to get all three. They all seem to be powder form. I would just dose that into the tank?

I prefer to use all 3 in conjunction when battling serious infections. However, Kanaplex or Furan-2 is the most important component as both contain broad spectrum antibiotics. It's just by combining them that you are widening the spectrum of treatment.

It's also wise to dissolve the powder(s) in a cup and then dump that into the QT. A member recently reported his fish died after swimming through undissolved powder. :eek:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree with Humble that doesn't look like uronema

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree looks bacterial and humble is perfect in the meds suggested as usual. The capillaries issues usually shows mostly at the base of the fins, and this is all over and mainly on the body.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back