Possible velvet irradication. Many warnings inside.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting articles on the chemistry of seawater here & here.

I knew chlorine was a dissolved salt found in seawater, but I didn't realize it comprised 55%! :eek:

Salts.gif

seawater_components.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I knew chlorine was a dissolved salt found in seawater, but I didn't realize it comprised 55%! :eek:

Not to be overly pedantic, but the bulk of salt minerals (NaCl, CaCl, KCl, etc.) are chlorides with chlorine as the anionic component. Not surprising that it would make up over half of the elemental composition of seawater. ;)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salts.gif

seawater_components.jpg
So does this mean that this theory has a chance? And that these fish can survive higher dosages of chlorine than we thought?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the real test will be after the 35day mark when I stop dosing. This will allow the disease to run rampant if it still exists. For the last week I plan to up the dosage to 3x per day.

Also, as we all know gas chlorine is super lethal and treatme t plants are straying from them. Many plants now use salt to chlorinate there water. Essentially by adding electricity the salt then becomes their chlorine.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the real test will be after the 35day mark when I stop dosing. This will allow the disease to run rampant if it still exists. For the last week I plan to up the dosage to 3x per day.

That was going to be my question..... how long did you plan to do this for? Since you answered it already I'd like to ask for pictures to go along with this experiment. Keeping track of the health of the overall tank the whole time will be easier as a spectator visually, along with your descriptions and observations of course.

A black molly converted to saltwater is a great way to test if the tank is completely cured at the end of this. Say, your done dosing and the fish dont break out in velvet right away. You can throw in a black molly and see if it gets it. Since it's never been exposed to velvet before it should catch it rather quickly. Just a thought to cap off your experiment - if needed of course.

Thanks for doing this. Pushing the limits are how we advance. :)

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was going to be my question..... how long did you plan to do this for? Since you answered it already I'd like to ask for pictures to go along with this experiment. Keeping track of the health of the overall tank the whole time will be easier as a spectator visually, along with your descriptions and observations of course.

A black molly converted to saltwater is a great way to test if the tank is completely cured at the end of this. Say, your done dosing and the fish dont break out in velvet right away. You can throw in a black molly and see if it gets it. Since it's never been exposed to velvet before it should catch it rather quickly. Just a thought to cap off your experiment - if needed of course.

Thanks for doing this. Pushing the limits are how we advance. :)
Thanks! And the black molly is a must do I believe. My fish are well fed and seem to love their environment, never stressed. This could alter my observations. So I dont think I will have a choice but to do the black molly!.

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will add some photos today some time. Have some excellent shots of before and after treatment on the dinos, and some shots of fish!

Forgot also, this may be right up @Randy Holmes-Farley alley to interject. Read first post if you would be so kind and chime in! I would also like to know your thoughts on amonia and the chlorine forming clhoramines in the system, or if you think this is possible and what affect it might have!

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok lets start with the original plan. Dinos.
These shots are before bleach and after... i was cleaning my gorgonians daily and it just kept comin back...

Before
20160727_170634.jpg

Stopped cleabing and treated with bleach and here they are now.
1470618323795-135584706.jpg

Dont mind the dirty glass lol

And here are some of my lps, 3 weeks into bleach
1470618413654799548189.jpg

And the healthy hippo
14706185714671975406570.jpg

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ twillard so you may be able to help here... @Humblefish as well.

So i have bleached for a month. And my salinity was 1.026 no water changes since. Andwe discussed how salt is used to form bleach. My salinity is now 1.031. My top off is good and nothimg has changed.

So thoughts on bleach increasing salinity? @Randy Holmes-Farley maybe have insight?

Side note. All fiah and coral doing great...and added a newb today

1471043359986-2134983735.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note. All fiah and coral doing great...and added a newb today

Just a thought... By continuing to add (presumably un-QT'd) fish, you are possibly undermining the results of your experiment. Meaning, if velvet comes back once you stop dosing bleach how will you ever know if your experiment didn't work at all or velvet was just reintroduced by the latest addition? IMHO; it would be best to experiment in a controlled environment first and then try adding new fish during a different experiment.

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought... By continuing to add (presumably un-QT'd) fish, you are possibly undermining the results of your experiment. Meaning, if velvet comes back once you stop dosing bleach how will you ever know if your experiment didn't work at all or velvet was just reintroduced by the latest addition? IMHO; it would be best to experiment in a controlled environment first and then try adding new fish during a different experiment.
Fair point. I wanted to prepare a but i. But i have nothing. On one hand, if velvet returns then that would only prove that this fish may have brought it.or bleach is ineffective. Leaving a negative variable. If velvet never returns then my results are valid. So, i suppose i will reset the clock to 35 days and continue on.

Thanks for setting me straight. I still treat it as the display tank it was meant to be but must stop for the time being.

And by not using a qt i am putting my self at unknown risks. The fish had been treated in copper for a month however

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your experiment is successful, I will drop a fish with velvet into a sterile QT and dose bleach as per your dosing regimen. That should tell us for sure.

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your experiment is successful, I will drop a fish with velvet into a sterile QT and dose bleach as per your dosing regimen. That should tell us for sure.
The challenge there is I do not believe this will kill it on the fish. Only free swimmers. So the fish will have to initially survive the velvet on its own. Ovbiously a low success rate.

Maybe your idea plus after a day or two of bleach treatment, add a black molly or something to see if it contracts the disease?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The challenge there is I do not believe this will kill it on the fish. Only free swimmers. So the fish will have to initially survive the velvet on its own. Ovbiously a low success rate.

Maybe your idea plus after a day or two of bleach treatment, add a black molly or something to see if it contracts the disease?

I could run the fish thru a FW dip + acriflavine bath to remove most of the trophonts, and then use bleach in lieu of CP to treat the QT. I'd have to treat for 6 weeks to be sure velvet didn't come back.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back