Possible velvet irradication. Many warnings inside.

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed it. Can't you get some spores in a test environment an dose the bleach do see if it will work? If you already did that, I apologize.
Now now, im not that edge a ma cated. Lol. I have not nore would i begin to know how. But maybe if this sparks someone who cans interest we might know? Its use against dinos is proven. This is the only test against velvet thus far however. The original theory was velvet is another form of dino....and thats where the hope lied

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None, @twilliard dosed to the point of losing fish, and the corals seem to be healthier and more colorful than ever as he says

This is not true some people like myself lost live stock during bleach testing. Be honest here, there were some issues from some users in that Dino thread.

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not true some people like myself lost live stock during bleach testing. Be honest here, there were some issues from some users in that Dino thread.
Issues sure. None for me at reccomended dose. I believe there was alot of confusion in dosing. Which explains live stock loss or it not working. Twillard went well above the limit before any casualties. Theres many medications on the shelf that if dosed incorrectly will kill live stock. But for myself. Not one hitch. Most had no problems but problems come with being test dummies. Alot of people ran with it before any results were known as well.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree is it going?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i haven't been spending much time in this section as my tanks are full of quarantined fish.

Take a stroll back to see that we're using bleach as a reef safe velvet treatment... Whaaat!?! Lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is interesting but it does worry me a little. Bleach works as a disinfectant through 2 known mechanisms. The lesser understood one is that it causes proteins to clump together in a cell similar to being exposed to high temperatures.
The second one is through oxidation of a cells walls causing it to break down. Sodium Chloride is table salt (NaCl). Sodium Hypochlorite is bleach (NaClO). This added oxygen molecule is what gives bleach its major disinfecting power.

It would make sense that this would fairly quickly kill simple organisms like velvet. At the same time it has to be doing damage to the cell structures of all of the organisms living in the tank. The only difference is that more advanced life can replace the damaged cells without dying. This doesn't mean that there is no long term harm. I would be very hesitant to try this in a tank that was not well established. If the bleach is killing ich and velvet than it also must be killing nitrifying bacteria. In a well established tank, surviving bacteria can become more active and make up for the loss of part of the bacteria population. A newer tank would not have this buffer of bacteria available. Even then, this buffer is not without limits and having a rapid ammonia spike is a real possibility once enough of the bacteria are killed off.

If trying this method in a QT you would have to rely on water changes to control ammonia. Not saying it isn't worth experimenting with as long as people understand the mechanisms involved and possible short and long term issues.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble, have you had a chance to experiment with bleach on any fish yet?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble, have you had a chance to experiment with bleach on any fish yet?

Not yet. I'm in the process of making a big move, so all experimentation is shut down until after the 1st of next year. The good news is after that, I will have access to mass quantities of fish to expand my research. :D

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't make myself do it. Why not QT your fish? It's not that hard? Has it really come to this? We need to dump bleach in our displays because we're too lazy to QT new fish?

Gezzz guys...buy a 10/G tank, some copper, and do some research.

Run ur copper a 0.2 -0.3 ppm for 2-4 weeks. Done.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F934A5F0-1BDD-4AD5-A941-B324D11878AA_zpsqmqlx9ph.jpg
Not yet. I'm in the process of making a big move, so all experimentation is shut down until after the 1st of next year. The good news is after that, I will have access to mass quantities of fish to expand my research. :D

I have a 100 grams of CP that says ain't not bleach touching my DT!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't make myself do it. Why not QT your fish? It's not that hard? Has it really come to this? We need to dump bleach in our displays because we're too lazy to QT new fish?

While I love the concept, I have to admit that I still don't QT coral or inverts. I just don't have a setup to do that yet. My goal is to have one set up by the end of the year. Until then, even though I have used a QT for all my fish, I am still open to some vulnerability.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would make sense that this would fairly quickly kill simple organisms like velvet. At the same time it has to be doing damage to the cell structures of all of the organisms living in the tank. The only difference is that more advanced life can replace the damaged cells without dying. This doesn't mean that there is no long term harm.

This particularly concerns me when you think of how a fish lives and breathes the water it's in. So it's breathing in the bleach along with everything else in the water. What kind of damage could it do to the sensitive and delicate tissue of the gills even in the short term? I just wonder...

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are correct, but accidents do happen. Nice for a backup plan. That said I wont be trying this ever. lol

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's super simple to be honest. Velvet can take up to about 4 weeks to show. That said, QT your fish for at least 4 weeks to catch Velvet.

Not like it's hard to miss. Trust me, Velvet invades the gills in such large numbers that it's like night and day compared to ICH.

Look at this PBT I had recently with Velvet. I blasted their A$$ES with Copper. 3 weeks at 0.2-0.3 ppm and done.

[video=youtube;acyX6US5CI4&t]

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, some good stuff here. My bleach treatment has been done with for a while. Months later fish are fine and growing happy. I treated for several weeks. @Brew12 i agree that some nitrifying bacteria may die. But i never suffered a re cycle. So maybe the loss is minimal. Cyano was able to thrive in it which is a negative.

The positive is, there have been no outbreaks. Also during treatment the colors of my acros were amazing and bright. After treatment was done rhey seem to dill back. Water clarity was also awesome during this.

Remember the ppm we avhieve here is less that the drinking water coming out of your tap.

My concern was the was the bleach binding with natural organics to form thms. This is a cancer causer in humans...no know effect on fish

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back