ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all, this is not my picture but this looks like what I have:
IMG_3974.JPG
I brush it off best I can with a toothbrush but I have already lost 4 frags (the ones I did myself, haven't lost originals)
It almost looks like brown algae that grows up the stalk of the polyp then eventually they shrink to very skinny polyps then I remove them. Could it be fungus?
Can anyone help me id what it is or how to treat it? Is there a broad spectrum "treatment" ?
Parameters:
Salinity-1.025
All-9
Calcium-450
Temp-78-79
Ammonia/nitrites/nitrates: 0

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're mid frag tank and under ai prime. Some are growing well while others are getting this algae like growth.
I added 2 more power heads to the tank (I read somewhere that may help) and the new ones are blowing directly on them about 8 inches away

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not fungus.
Any type of wrong light could "feed" any algae in your system. I mean any: MHs, LEDs and T5s.
I would try to remove them with tweezers first and see if they come off.
You can dip the frags on plugs in a 8 to 10 oz container with tank water and add 3 to 5 drops of Hydrogen peroxide for a minute.
Start like that. Don't go too much with the hydrogen peroxide because it can do more damage then help.
If you can remove it with the tweezers and avoid the hydrogen peroxide dip would be the best.
You need to solve the problem of the light or nutrient in your tank.
That algae is in the system and it will come back if you don't fix the problem source.
The treatment above will be an immediate relief to the frags/colonies.
The polyps aren't that strong either because they would normally fight against that type of algae!!
Post your own pics if possible.
Grandis.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got to respectfully disagree. If it were algae it would be growing on the rock as well. Most likely even more intense on the rock. Those zoas have actually grown onto the rock in picture. Point being the rock was there longer and is clean.

I would lean towards fungus or some other issue. Of course the root cause could even be the same, or completely different.

That said we're talking about a picture you posted, not necessarily even close to what you have going on.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats up with your bounce shroom. looking for a connection there.
need your pics here

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got to respectfully disagree. If it were algae it would be growing on the rock as well. Most likely even more intense on the rock. Those zoas have actually grown onto the rock in picture. Point being the rock was there longer and is clean.

I would lean towards fungus or some other issue. Of course the root cause could even be the same, or completely different.

That said we're talking about a picture you posted, not necessarily even close to what you have going on.
I disagree again. Not fungus at all. Algae. Could also be sponge, but I think it's algae.
He can cut it with tiny scissors and remove with the tweezers. It's a rubbery structure...
When the thing is removed and the problem with the nutrients is solved it doesn't come back anymore and the polyps will look brand new.
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be that the polyps came from another system or from the wild with that algae.
If you remove it fast it won't spread. It's an algae that likes to attach to their stalks and look like the polyps kinda shed it off...
It looks like the polyps are shedding a skin, like a snake... Rubbery...
Be careful when you remove it from the base. Sometimes it catches the wall of the stalk and rips it off.
If you use a very fine razor knife would be the best to cut it off.
I'm analyzing that picture. Would be good to see yours.
After you remove the algae the polyps will retract to their normal hight.
Grandis.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats up with your bounce shroom. looking for a connection there.
need your pics here
That ones in a different tank. I know for sure that was light related because once I turned the light back down, it's getting its "bounce" back.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be that the polyps came from another system or from the wild with that algae.
If you remove it fast it won't spread. It's an algae that likes to attach to their stalks and look like the polyps kinda shed it off...
It looks like the polyps are shedding a skin, like a snake... Rubbery...
Be careful when you remove it from the base. Sometimes it catches the wall of the stalk and rips it off.
If you use a very fine razor knife would be the best to cut it off.
I'm analyzing that picture. Would be good to see yours.
After you remove the algae the polyps will retract to their normal hight.
Grandis.
Thank you! It's been coming off with a toothbrush so I couldn't tell if it was algae or fungus. Of course we all go to worst possible idea mode when something goes wrong. I try to shy away from peroxide. Some people love it, I'm not one of those people. Let me see if I still have a frag that I took out...

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get an actual pic of the "suspect" because i took all of it off the polyps last night.
It reminds me of algae because it just brushes off. These are all fresh frags (cut within the last two weeks).
These aren't the first frags that I've cut. I've done plenty with a lot of success

Does it matter than it's a "new" frag tank? Everything was live that went into it, rocks, old sponges. Tank itself is probably ~a month old.
Thank you all for your help! I had read that iodine helps as a broad spectrum but I wouldn't know the first thing about that dip. I have only ever used coral rx.

Here's the pic of the ones taken out last night:
image.jpg
image.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humm... do those polyps look like that normally? I mean like a bubble with the head like a tip?
They are probably really stressed at the moment that picture was taken.
There is WAY too much glue on that plug too. That isn't necessary nor good!!!
That excessive amount of glue could be the reason they are looking like that!!

How do they look now in the tank?
Try to put them in an older system so they can react better.
I wouldn't put a fresh cut frag in a new system. Too much for it.

Yep, no fungus there. Just a bit of algae.
By the way you probably didn't have the exact same problem of the first picture you posted. Just the color of the algae was the same.

New picture in the tank?

Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and... looking at the first picture, there is a possibility of a bacterial problem.
They could be suffering of a bacterial infection due to the stress.

If they are looking normal now, open and happy, just leave them alone.
Grandis.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture I took for you were two frags I pulled from the tank last night and set on the counter to throw away:

1) the way they normally look? That was a joke right? Lol nothing is supposed to look like that normally. They normally have small green ish polyps. Not bubbly or anything.
2) glue. If you look at it closely, there's some older discolored glue. That was how they were originally put on the frag before they lost polyps. When the "suspect" hit, they detached from the glue...weird right? So there is newer non discolored glue from a few days ago when they detached.
3) fresh cut frag in new tank=nono. Got it :)
4) the survivors-the ones I pulled the stuff off of, they're doing fine. I put a ton of flow on them and so far, so good. If it is a bacterial thing, what's a good dip to use?

I'll keep you updated. Thank you so much for your help.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture I took for you were two frags I pulled from the tank last night and set on the counter to throw away:
Why? They were still alive, you've should kept them.

1) the way they normally look? That was a joke right? Lol nothing is supposed to look like that normally. They normally have small green ish polyps. Not bubbly or anything.
I meant when they were closed... Were they looking like that since dat one when you got them? That's what I meant.

2) glue. If you look at it closely, there's some older discolored glue. That was how they were originally put on the frag before they lost polyps. When the "suspect" hit, they detached from the glue...weird right? So there is newer non discolored glue from a few days ago when they detached.
The detachment from the plugs has nothing to do with the algae, but the glue.
Glue wasn't the best and too much!

3) fresh cut frag in new tank=nono. Got it :)
Yeap!

4) the survivors-the ones I pulled the stuff off of, they're doing fine. I put a ton of flow on them and so far, so good. If it is a bacterial thing, what's a good dip to use?
Don't put too much flow. Terrible. Put them under normal flow.
I use iodine for bacterial infection.
The polyps you throw away could come back to their normal.

I'll keep you updated. Thank you so much for your help.
Yep, no problem.
Pics of them in the tank?
Grandis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could really come back?
They looked too far gone :(
Full tank and glue I use
I have coral rx and furan 2
Could I use one of those for the frags that were intended to be trash?
IMG_3986.JPG IMG_3988.JPG IMG_3984.JPG IMG_3985.JPG

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan 2 dip and put them back into the established tank. Don't have to worry about other zoas because there are non in here
image.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about Seachem's glue. I've never used it. They are a good brand and the glue should be fine.
There is just too many glue on that plug anyway. LOL!!
All you need it is a drop to make sure the polyp will actually stay on that plug.

Yep, leave the polyps alone. After the Furan2 there is nothing else to be done.
You only need to let them rest and watch them to open.
Don't move them around and don't blow them with strong flow...
No matter how long you need to wait after all what's done they have good chances to survive and reproduce.

Grandis.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help! I'll keep you updated

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright!
Glad to help!
If you can and want to scrape most of the glue from the plugs would be great.
Use a sharp knife or a razor to do that.
Cut from the top around the polyps and scrape side ways taking the excess off the plugs.
Leave only what's under those polyps. Razors, like the precise ones or even the box openers are great for that.
Grandis.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back