Potassium nitrate (Spectracide stump remover) dosing steps

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some improve slightly and one or two that have worsened.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still holding firm at 5 mL KNO3 and 10 drops of amino acids per 100 gallons per day. Feedings and other parameters have pretty much been consistent.

Skimmer production continues to increase so I now have to empty the cup twice a day most days...consistency of skimmate appears to be the same, just more of it.

I noted before that different algae had been showing up and I considered that at least a sign that things were "progressing".

The considerable amount of bare patches in the Hydnophora skeleton seem to be the only refuge where my #chrysophytes (or #dinos or #diatoms or #cyano or whatever) have been hanging on. The only difference there was that they seemed to be growing a lot more slowly compared to before I started this treatment with KNO3 and amino's.

Well today for the first time I'm noticing a big difference on the Hydno – green hair algae have appeared!!! Woo hoo!

Green hair has been present here and there (mostly in a single spot actually) since not too long after treatment started, but this is the first time I've noticed some among the Hydno's skeleton/within the chrysophytes last domain!

It sure seems like slow-going, but maintaining a nitrogen presence in the water seems to be having the intended effect!

I suspect if I had a more comprehensive CUC to disturb the chrysophyte beds this transformation might happen more quickly. I tried to play that role with a toothbrush, but it's pretty hard to imitate the persistence of a crab or snail!!!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Russ265 will be interested to note that cyano's have been recovering along with the green algae (both of which I'm happy to see)....no large-scale blooms though....primarily two concentrated ones that have only grown to about 4-5" in diameter.

I plan to continue doing little to nothing about all the algae until things get further along the progression, but it occurs to me that eventually I'll try eliminating the amino acid drops and Russ will be able to see if the two cyano patches disappear. :)

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Russ265 will be interested to note that cyano's have been recovering along with the green algae (both of which I'm happy to see)....no large-scale blooms though....primarily two concentrated ones that have only grown to about 4-5" in diameter.

I plan to continue doing little to nothing about all the algae until things get further along the progression, but it occurs to me that eventually I'll try eliminating the amino acid drops and Russ will be able to see if the two cyano patches disappear. :)
Did I miss something? You are wanting this stuff to grow out? I thought I was the only weird one LOL

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my cyano culture
20161220_080403.jpg

Its growing nicely on the glass, this is a 1000ml beaker
It is receiving 1 drop No3 daily
Growing out for @UWC

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still holding firm at 5 mL KNO3 and 10 drops of amino acids per 100 gallons per day. Feedings and other parameters have pretty much been consistent.

Skimmer production continues to increase so I now have to empty the cup twice a day most days...consistency of skimmate appears to be the same, just more of it.

I noted before that different algae had been showing up and I considered that at least a sign that things were "progressing".

The considerable amount of bare patches in the Hydnophora skeleton seem to be the only refuge where my #chrysophytes (or #dinos or #diatoms or #cyano or whatever) have been hanging on. The only difference there was that they seemed to be growing a lot more slowly compared to before I started this treatment with KNO3 and amino's.

Well today for the first time I'm noticing a big difference on the Hydno – green hair algae have appeared!!! Woo hoo!

Green hair has been present here and there (mostly in a single spot actually) since not too long after treatment started, but this is the first time I've noticed some among the Hydno's skeleton/within the chrysophytes last domain!

It sure seems like slow-going, but maintaining a nitrogen presence in the water seems to be having the intended effect!

I suspect if I had a more comprehensive CUC to disturb the chrysophyte beds this transformation might happen more quickly. I tried to play that role with a toothbrush, but it's pretty hard to imitate the persistence of a crab or snail!!!

I've also got some small patches of green now. Tells me photosynthesis is now possible lol.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I miss something? You are wanting this stuff to grow out? I thought I was the only weird one LOL

I welcome the (hopefully someday/we're getting there) balanced presence of microorganisms vs the blanketing plague of #chrysophytes that I had going on. ;)

I'm being slightly dramatic, but chrysophytes were literally the only "algae" growing for months and they were more or less everywhere.

Since then, even coralline algae have reappeared!

I must admit that I still haven't done the cyano test, nor have I acquired a microscope.

@twilliard (or anyone with #microscope experience) – for those of us with no experience and perhaps some feelings of uncertainly around use of a microscope, are there any tips you'd suggest, guides or websites to follow, etc? Specific microscopes to target or avoid? How about "@twilliard's Guide To Using A Microscope On Your Reef"???

I suppose it's fine if, when my scope eventually arrives, that it's just me, the scope and Google....but it would nice to have the benefit of someone's actual experience of where to begin and what to avoid at the start!! :)

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I dosed my system with stump remover last week and went from undetectable to between 5-10 PPM nitrate. should i be taking out the GFO? and what about vodka dosing? should i stop that? tested again today and again between 5-10 PPM nitrate. please advise!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I welcome the (hopefully someday/we're getting there) balanced presence of microorganisms vs the blanketing plague of #chrysophytes that I had going on. ;)

I'm being slightly dramatic, but chrysophytes were literally the only "algae" growing for months and they were more or less everywhere.

Since then, even coralline algae have reappeared!

I must admit that I still haven't done the cyano test, nor have I acquired a microscope.

@twilliard (or anyone with #microscope experience) – for those of us with no experience and perhaps some feelings of uncertainly around use of a microscope, are there any tips you'd suggest, guides or websites to follow, etc? Specific microscopes to target or avoid? How about "@twilliard's Guide To Using A Microscope On Your Reef"???

I suppose it's fine if, when my scope eventually arrives, that it's just me, the scope and Google....but it would nice to have the benefit of someone's actual experience of where to begin and what to avoid at the start!! :)
For what we do here posting images online a trinocular scope with as high as you can afford MP camera (phase contrast kit is a plus)

@coralcruze 5-10 ppm No3 is just a tad on the high side for me. I do not run GFO as Po4 IMO is easily managed (or added)

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what we do here posting images online a trinocular scope with as high as you can afford MP camera (phase contrast kit is a plus)

@coralcruze 5-10 ppm No3 is just a tad on the high side for me. I do not run GFO as Po4 IMO is easily managed (or added)

I followed your formula and levels went from 1 ppm to 12 ppm as i did another test using high No3 range (red sea test kit) last night. Not sure what happened but corals look good. I took out GFO but still dosing vodka as usual. 1 gallon water change performed every night.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendation on brands or useful magnification range?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed your formula and levels went from 1 ppm to 12 ppm as i did another test using high No3 range (red sea test kit) last night. Not sure what happened but corals look good. I took out GFO but still dosing vodka as usual. 1 gallon water change performed every night.
I would be on the lookout for blooming as the increased bacteria from carbon dosing has more No3 available.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be on the lookout for blooming as the increased bacteria from carbon dosing has more No3 available.
whats your recommendation? and I assume you mean bacteria blooming? do I slot or slow down vodka?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats your recommendation? and I assume you mean bacteria blooming? do I slot or slow down vodka?
I would continue what you are dosing making sure your No3 does not increase more. Watch your skimmer and its smell as this will give a good indication of bacterial blooming.
I try not to change too many items of chemistry at once.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back