Potassium nitrate (Spectracide stump remover) dosing steps

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RS pro Nitrate test goes higher than 4ppm if you use 1ml tank water and 15 ml RO/DI.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dosing for a month and finally feel like I have figured out my issue with paling, slowly dying sps. I use the RS coral pro to manage the No3 levels however, since it only goes to 4ppm (where I try to keep my levels) I am not sure where I am if above 4pm. I use an API Nitrate just to make sure I am not overshooting to much but, its not to confidence inspiring. Any recommendations for a test for the >4 - 10ppm range?

IMG_3140.JPG

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you can make any dilution. For instance, I'm in the 5-10 range so i dilute 4 times (4 ml tank water, 12 rodi) and i multiply the reading by 4.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted for a while. After I figured out that Vibrant was lowering my No3 to 0 I started dosing the No3 to my tank. After the first week on 5ml 3x week, 65G TV, I didn't see much of a bump, so I started with 6ml 4x week and started to see some movement although slight. After the 4th week, I started dosing 6ml everyday and I'm now at what I think is a good "Goldilocks" area from my reading, 3.5~4ppm after 5 weeks. My next experiment will be monitoring it and see if it continues to climb or stay status quo.
Thx @twilliard for putting the time in developing this awesome thread Man!

Joey13254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank I would say 25 gallons of water total. I know it's 2 tablespoons to 2 cups rodi. But how many ml should I dose. I'm at 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates now.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing 10ml of that solution and tested from there. Over the past week I've dosed 40 ml and my nitrates are up to 1.5 on my 75g tank.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank I would say 25 gallons of water total. I know it's 2 tablespoons to 2 cups rodi. But how many ml should I dose. I'm at 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates now.
I have about 40g of volume and 5ml will raise no3 1-1.5 ppm. Start low and test. What test kits are you using?

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 40g of volume and 5ml will raise no3 1-1.5 ppm. Start low and test. What test kits are you using?
I just got the Red Sea Algae Test Kit, which has Nitrate and Phosphate. I love it!

Slicktop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following this thread for a while and what a great read. I have a 100 gal cube a little over a year old. Tank and corals and fish doing great. But ... wait for it ...I want more color.... LOL.. My question, just like everyone lots of us I have o nitrates and Phosphates.. salifert test kits. I have 8 fish and feed heavy. Still no nitrates or phosphates.. I have cheato in the sump and don't run any GFO or carbon and good size skimmer running it dry as possible. I have started dosing amino acids and feeding the tank coral frenzy in the last 2 months do see improvement in color. Still no nitrates and phosphates..

I am ready to start dosing Potassium Nitrate Stump remover.. I wanted to start slow and just add @ 5 ml twice a week while testing but just to give the corals some additional nutrients. Based on this thread it seems the corals suck up the nitrate. I guess my question, instead on maintaining specific levels on nitrate why not just give everything a taste twice a week like feeding them. It still messes with me the thought of putting STUMP REMOVER in my tank!

Thoughts ?

miloshantic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me how to increase nitrate level. In my tank nitrates & phosphates are at 0 for more than 1 year!

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following this thread for a while and what a great read. I have a 100 gal cube a little over a year old. Tank and corals and fish doing great. But ... wait for it ...I want more color.... LOL.. My question, just like everyone lots of us I have o nitrates and Phosphates.. salifert test kits. I have 8 fish and feed heavy. Still no nitrates or phosphates.. I have cheato in the sump and don't run any GFO or carbon and good size skimmer running it dry as possible. I have started dosing amino acids and feeding the tank coral frenzy in the last 2 months do see improvement in color. Still no nitrates and phosphates..

I am ready to start dosing Potassium Nitrate Stump remover.. I wanted to start slow and just add @ 5 ml twice a week while testing but just to give the corals some additional nutrients. Based on this thread it seems the corals suck up the nitrate. I guess my question, instead on maintaining specific levels on nitrate why not just give everything a taste twice a week like feeding them. It still messes with me the thought of putting STUMP REMOVER in my tank!

Thoughts ?
At the start of dosing the tank will suck down nitrate fairly quickly and eventually level off. Once you get to this point and you know what its consuming you could add once or twice a week. Is still wouldn't hurt to check weekly. Watch your phosphate as well, it drops quickly when you start dosing n03. I started feeding flake in the morning and I am able to barely keep p04 at .02-.03.

I also removed all but a fist sized piece of chaeto. I still run a reverse light cycle to keep the PH up and have been thinking about only running my skimmer at night.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything you need to know is in this thread. Start from the beginning and you will know exactly what you need to do.

Though from the newb's point of view, I (still) wish the first post of the thread was more up to date with more correct information. The calculators, precise mixing directions and usage guidelines from the thread are all missing from the first post. This thread is a great resource, but it would be a much more useful tool with a re-worked first post. :)

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though from the newb's point of view, I (still) wish the first post of the thread was more up to date with more correct information. The calculators, precise mixing directions and usage guidelines from the thread are all missing from the first post. This thread is a great resource, but it would be a much more useful tool with a re-worked first post. :)

Are you suggesting @twilliard call on the Gods and use the edit button?:eek: (It is a good idea, might make it sticky worthy too). :)

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha Ha! Well the thing about threads that I like and how I look at it.. They are a great place to start with the easy (first post for people JUST starting) and add data as we move along in the thread as it gets more advanced.
My goal is to keep it simple. Is that not what we all want? I do not use any calculators or complex equations at all, no need to.
It is hard to tailor to everyone's knowledge and skillset.
Great to see that this thread is still useful to the aquaria world :)

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure someone out there could create a calculator to make people more comfortable. I found the process to much like finding ones Alk or Cal daily dosing amount. You mix up your solution and start with a small amount to see what your tank uses and go from there. I am actually glad @twilliard kept it simple.

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food for thought if your worried about this. worldwide corals show tank runs around 30ppm nitrate if I remember correctly. So just dose alittle and test an hour later if not there dose again. It's not going to wreck your system as long as you does responsibly.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back