Powder Blue has ICH! Leave in or take and QT?

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay my powder blue tang has ich. I'm worried if I try to catch her it's going to kill her. What's your guys thought? I have a 10 gallon qt ready to go. ..

Neptunes Cove

rare collector corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 10 gallon with HOB filter may not be a very good QT
especially if it doesn't eat when you put food in
-it could recycle and that would kill the Tang
check your water quality perameters first and see if you can alleviate a problem that might be causing the ich- first...

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is at least eating, I'd leave it alone for the time being.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in there?

Are you prepared to QT all the fish and leave the tank fallow for 8 weeks?

OP
OP
MounteeFrag

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is in a 29 gallon nano (waiting on my 240 to cycle) and I think the Pistol shrimp is freaking it out

god503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my money is on marine velvet not ich. I have lost an entire tank to that crap. by the time you see the spots, next day its over. it goes straight for the gills and suffocates them. that's why the hangout at the top. no cure other than to go fallow for 2 months. not even hyposalinity works. ich can be survivable most of the time

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Velvet is rare in our systems, not saying your not going to see it, but once you do notice that its possibly Velvet, its to late.
Im putting my money on Ich myself. And if he died that quickly, putting him in QT wouldn't have mattered.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait until your other tank is setup before buying anymore fish... especially a fish meant to swim and have room. Not really trying to be all "Tang Police," but seriously?

god503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Velvet is rare in our systems, not saying your not going to see it, but once you do notice that its possibly Velvet, its to late.
Im putting my money on Ich myself. And if he died that quickly, putting him in QT wouldn't have mattered.

not as rare as you might think. quite often marine velvet is misdiagnosed a ich just because they have the same "visual" evidence. I have had all ich and I have had all marine velvet. my "ich tank" just had spots as a symptom and nothing else. All survived. (I have also seen the difference between the fungal infection vs ich, so I have learned to spot the difference) this includes ich magnets like naso and powder blues. my "velvet tank" not only had he spots but, scratching against rocks, sucking in air from the surface, fast breathing and clenched fins. all dead with in 72 hours of sees the "white spots".

we have been to comfortable assuming its ich just because we see white spots. my money is on dead in 48 hrs means velvet

OP
OP
MounteeFrag

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I figured my 24 gallon nano would be better then a 10 gallon qt. And since I'm so close to a finished cycle I figured putting a juvenile powder blue in a 2x as big tank would be better.

god503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutely nothing. exept an empty tank for 2 months minimum

god503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that crap can even survive 100% fresh water when it is in its cyst/egg stage

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back