power loss

cveverly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my generator. We recently had a 20+ hour outage and it ran everything in both my tanks. I can also run refrigerator or small AC unit and TV if needed.

notto2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a generator but live in southeast texas on the coast so in a hurricane I evacuate I am wondering how this car battery thing works so that I could just run it off of that since I wouldn't be there to run the generator but were never gone more than 2 days before we head back. So the battery would work great. Would like more explanation of setup if possible.

Thanks,
Natalie

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about how much does a small generater cost?

chuckle_berry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have actually used a hand pump from a blow up matress and stood their for hours taking turns with my wife airating a tank. In hindsight i think a battery backup pump or generator is best.

rroselavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about how much does a small generater cost?

Depends on how quiet and reliable they need to be, how clean the generated electricity needs to be, and how many watts you need to run your tank. If you are just powering pumps and heaters, then a small generator can be a little as a few hundred dollars. If you need to power electronics (such as an aquarium controller, a vortech pump driver, a computer, or similar) then you need a generator with an inverter (provides "cleaner" power) which will cost you several hundred dollars more. If noise is a concern, the inverter generators (such as the Honda and Yamaha brands) are also the quieter generators - running at or below 60 decibels. These are the portable types that most people buy for RV's since they are relatively quiet.

At Home Depot, you can get a Triron Small Portable 1200 Watt Surge Generator for as little as $150. I have no idea how well that generator works. Conversely, a Honda EU1000iA 1000w Inverter Generator goes for $860 MSRP. The Honda includes extras like an electric start, low oil protection, and a variable speed throttle for fuel economy. I have recently found many of the Honda Inverter models on my local craigslist going for less than half price.

There are a few vendors who can convert Honda or Yamaha inverter generators to bi-fuel or tri-fuel (gas, propane and/or natural gas), so you could hook it up to a tank or a clean burning NG hookup. That conversion will add a couple hundred to the price of those generators.

Somewhere in between those extremes you will find larger (non-inverter) generators that will give you even more wattage. 2000w, 3000w, 4000w generators can be had for $400-$600. They are as loud and heavy as all get out, but they may be a good compromise since they offer much more fuel capacity and wattage than the ones previously mentioned.

Last edited:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very popular generator, especially with the RV crowds is the Champion 3500w which is a legally licensed Honda GX200 clone. Its on sale for $299 at Cabelas right now and can usually be had for that same prices at Checker, Schucks, Kragen, Oreilleys, Advance auto parts.
I have one and its been very quiet, the muffler is bigger than the one on my Ford F-150. I keep it fueled up with a little StaBil in the gas and a couple extension cords and outlet strips ready to go. One pull every time no matter how long its been sitting and mine is on wheels too!
http://www.cpeauto.com/

You can also read about them on RV.net in the Tech forums.

Back