Power outage :(

Okeewanfonokee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back this evening from a vacation and all my fish were dead. I had a fish sitter check in every few days, but no one was here last 2 days and thats when I had a brief power outage. I guess my nano's propeller on the pump got stuck when the power was on then off and it over heated the tank. I lost a pygmy hawkfish, blue assessor and a fairy wrasse.
Is there anything like a temp battery power supply that would click in in a situation like this? I will now replace pump for a new one, but my power goes off randomly about once or twice a month and would like to have a hour or more back up.:(

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a computer type Power backup from office max or staples or the like. It may fry the pump over time because of it not producing a perfect sine wave, but a powerhead is much cheaper to replace than a tank full of fish.

ss7

Guinea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the vortecs have a battery back up. the UPS backups for AC pumps only work for a short time, but they would have protected this situation if the power was out for less than 2 hours.

Back