ProfiLux and monitoring Alkalinity and other things ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

with the announcement of the P4 we also mentioned that Alkalinity and measurement of other parameters (e.g. Ca) are coming soon.

Personally I didn't expect that much of feedback and interest in these planned new features for the ProfiLux, actually I wasn't aware that this is something special since the automated measuring of Alkalinity and Calcium is standard in laborities, nutrient production and public water supply for decades ... nothing spectacular in my eyes.

However, we didn't want to just start a hype with some vage announcements, actually I planned to annouce more facts as soon as details like release date and prices are clear.

So now, as the "cat is out of the bag" (I hope this phrase makes sense in English;)) I want to give you some more information here.

Q: What is the current state of measuring Alk and Ca with a ProfiLux?
A: GHL has been working on continous automatic alk monitoring for alsmost 2 years now. The prototypes are running reliably meanwhile. The next step is to design an affordable product for the "mass-production". Ca was easier, works also, but the price is here still the issue.

Q: Will this work for ProfiLux 4 only?
A: No - Alk and Ca measuremtn will be possible with ProfiLux 4 AND ProfiLux 3

Q: Can I control or just measure?
A: As with all probes a ProfiLux can use the readings to start actions like switching sockets (pumps, solenoids), dosers, etc. It is up to you if you only check the values and act on your own or if you let Profilux handle that.

Q: Release date and price?
A: Sorry, still working on it. Don't want to disappoint if we can't keep the promises. But definetely in 2017.

Q: Can we see some videos?
A: Later, not in this phase of development. Just don't want to be copied or start debates.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matthias, this sounds so great! . I'm just drooling at the possibility of regulating the calcium reactor output (by means of a CO2 solenoid) according to the alkalinity lectures.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Phil Cusimano The salinity probe has been available for years now, it's GHL's Conductivity probe.
Thanks for letting me know, I didn't see it on their website that's why I asked the question. Maybe because I was looking at the new release I didn't see it. I'd really love to put this controller on my new system that I'm current building. On my current system 55g I'm running the apex. Thanks for the assist in answering my question.

ReefRocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting me know, I didn't see it on their website that's why I asked the question. Maybe because I was looking at the new release I didn't see it. I'd really love to put this controller on my new system that I'm current building. On my current system 55g I'm running the apex. Thanks for the assist in answering my question.

Go for it! Setting up the Profilux is much easier than having to learn the coding Apex demands. The level of reliability is on a whole other level.

I know I'll be getting a P4. :D

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is very interesting and a potential game changer! Can you describe the method Profilux is using for measuring Alk?

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting and a potential game changer! Can you describe the method Profilux is using for measuring Alk?

If he were to describe it, then that would be exactly like showing a video, and he stated that he doesn't want to be copied or start debates in the final question above.

adroc718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't think that probes that can display a constant, accurate alk and calcium reading for reef tanks would be of much interest!!!?????
Are you serious?
Coincidence how Neptune just announced plans to have an alk probe too.
You didn't want to make a vague hype marketing statement so you proceed to do just that ....... lol

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune has the same response when I talked to them at MACNA. They didn't think it would be of value to enough users to justify the cost.

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune bought the exclusive rights to the automated alk monitoring tool presented here on R2R. They are planning for a release next year as well I believe. There is a press release with the info somewhere.

iLLwiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least now I know what my 2016 tax return will be spent on. Can't wait to see what both companies bring to the market next year.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If he were to describe it, then that would be exactly like showing a video, and he stated that he doesn't want to be copied or start debates in the final question above.

Just interested to know whether it is a probe like Mindspring or a titration system like Apex. No need for a video, to disclose proprietary information or debate the merits of each method.

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn't think it would be of value to enough users to justify the cost.

Then you have to know that the cost is going to be astronomical. I think anyone who read the Alkalinity Monitoring thread shouldn't get their hopes up for a $500 product for Apex or GHL. It will be priced high since the demand is high.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it! Setting up the Profilux is much easier than having to learn the coding Apex demands. The level of reliability is on a whole other level.

I know I'll be getting a P4. :D
I am, I love the apex system on my current aquarium ... but your point is well taken when it come to coding apex commands you can put your hair out. But I'm gonna do exactly that and go with the Profilux on the new reef aquarium. Thanks for you input.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%

Back