ProfiLux and monitoring Alkalinity and other things ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good news and here is my take. If we take what we hear from Matthias at face value it would appear they have been working on this for 2 years. 2 years of German engineering from a company with great products, I would definitely consider this a viable option. Apex on the other hand has just showed the entire reefing community what it can do with a major new product release. It was terrible. I think both options will be expensive but constant monitoring sounds more intriguing than interval testing (and you have to keep up with the fluids regularly). I am still using my tried and true Neptune ACIII but it looks like GFL P4 will be my next controller.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good news and here is my take. If we take what we hear from Matthias at face value it would appear they have been working on this for 2 years. 2 years of German engineering from a company with great products, I would definitely consider this a viable option. Apex on the other hand has just showed the entire reefing community what it can do with a major new product release. It was terrible. I think both options will be expensive but constant monitoring sounds more intriguing than interval testing (and you have to keep up with the fluids regularly). I am still using my tried and true Neptune ACIII but it looks like GFL P4 will be my next controller.

I'd have to agree with you, however, I'm not going to swap out my existing Apex which they now call the classic for the GFL P4, instead I will purchase the GFL P4 for my latest 120g build.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to agree with you, however, I'm not going to swap out my existing Apex which they now call the classic for the GFL P4, instead I will purchase the GFL P4 for my latest 120g build.
I totally understand and really there isn't anything wrong with your tried and true controller. :) My controller is very old and kind of a pain in the butt to make changes.

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matthias,

I was wondering to gain monitoring control for Alk/Ca for the Profilux 3, I assume all that will be needed is a firmware upgrade and purchasing the corresponding expansion card correct? or do you have a small expansion box/module planned. Thanks! Ryan

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand and really there isn't anything wrong with your tried and true controller. :) My controller is very old and kind of a pain in the butt to make changes.
Totally understand and I hear you, isn't that the fate of all our aquarium equipment? Sooner or later everything has to be replaced. :) Yes, I'm really excited to purchase the new GFL P4 don't know what the final cost will be with add-ons ... Some of the members of my aquarium society have urged me to switch, and everyone on R2R also seems very happy with the Profilux that it must be like comparing apples and oranges between the Apex and the Profilux. :)

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stoked about purchasing the new release of the Profilux 4, thanks for sharing the vlog overview for the P3. Very cool seems easier them coding for the classic Apex. :) Not knocking the Apex ... it is serving me well on my 55g. But with the new 120g build I want the Profilux on it.

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just interested to know whether it is a probe like Mindspring or a titration system like Apex. No need for a video, to disclose proprietary information or debate the merits of each method.
Sorry, but please understand I can't give details at this stage of our development.
But I would like to ask you what the "Mindspring probe" is, have to admit I didn't hear of it yet.

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the jury is still out on it? Wondering when it will go into sales.

They are way behind on their intended launch plans and their showing at the last 2 MACNA's was very dissapointing. They have had no real working demos and if you didn't know what Mindstream was, you certainly wouldn't have figured it out from their booth. Considering that they were trying to secure funding at MACNA 2015 through crowdfunding which they didn't make their mark, the effort to present themselves in their booth and at MACNA 2015 and 2016 along with their marketing was pretty disappointing. Especially at such a big venue. I don't have much faith in them or their product and I am certainly not holding my breath. It's a neat idea if it works but the discs will be costly too. Accuracy is critical and given their lack of effort to present themselves, it doesn't bode well for the quality of their product. Especially if they are trying to secure funding from marine aquarium industry. Just my .02..

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are way behind on their intended launch plans and their showing at the last 2 MACNA's was very dissapointing. They have had no real working demos and if you didn't know what Mindstream was, you certainly wouldn't have figured it out from their booth. Considering that they were trying to secure funding at MACNA 2015 through crowdfunding which they didn't make their mark, the effort to present themselves in their booth and at MACNA 2015 and 2016 along with their marketing was pretty disappointing. Especially at such a big venue. I don't have much faith in them or their product and I am certainly not holding my breath. It's a neat idea if it works but the discs will be costly too. Accuracy is critical and given their lack of effort to present themselves, it doesn't bode well for the quality of their product. Especially if they are trying to secure funding from marine aquarium industry. Just my .02..

I'd have to agree with you ... I haven't been to the last couple of MACNA conferences, the last one I attend was awhile back. But if it's as you say, and they can't present themselves well it doesn't bode well for the hopes of their product! If their booth has been obscure during the last two conferences, they're doomed and that's why hobbyist and companies alike haven't heard of them. Crowdfunding isn't the best route to take on a product of this nature, and they'll never make their mark that way thru crowdfunding. If they don't have working prototypes that prove that their results are accurate and consistent every time they'll never get it into production! Also, if they've been at it for 5 years that's way too long. Sounds like their best chances are to get a company with deep R & D pockets to buy their design and idea, take a cut of the action and call it a day. Sounds like a neat and cool idea. In the meantime, I'll stick with the proven technology the likes of the Profilux 4 with a track record. The next big thing is continuous monitoring of Calcium and Alkalinity. When a company like GHL says coming soon, you can basically count on it! But one thing is for sure, which very companies get their first it's gonna cost big $$$ that's my 2 cents FWIW. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back