Project 365 - My Reef Journal - One Photograph Per Day

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly new to Reef2Reef in terms of posting. In fact, other than a for sale thread, this is my first topic that I've started here on Reef2Reef. I've frequented other forums but seem to find myself hanging out more on Reef2Reef than any of the other forums.

On a photography forum, I recently read about Project 365 which is simply taking and posting one photograph every day of the year. With the new year, I thought it would be a great challenge and have great application to reefing.

So with that said, here is a photograph that I posted yesterday January 1st, 2016 on another thread here on Reef2Reef. This will be the first of 365 photos to follow.

Happy New Year!

Project 365 - 1/1/16 - Urbanek's 250 FTS​

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project 365 - January 2nd, 2016
Since I missed getting this journal started on January 1st, I will add a second entry fort today. This will get me caught up and on my way for the rest of the year. :)

One of the goals of a Project 365 is force you to get the camera out and create on a daily basis. When I got the camera out today, my little Yellow Clown Goby was begging to be photographed. I really love the contrast between the fish and the coral.

2 Photos down 363 more to go!

Thanks for looking.

Project 365 - 1/2/16 - Yellow Clown Goby Perched in Oregon Tort​

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank and good photography skills! Taking a picture once a day is a pretty cool idea.

kevindo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Nice looking tank. Something to follow. Wish my tank would look like yours in two year :)

How old is it? I like the custom cabinets and mounts.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank and good photography skills! Taking a picture once a day is a pretty cool idea.

Maximzer - Thanks for the reply and compliments on the tank and photography, both are hobbies that I really enjoy. I'm hoping I can stay focused on the one photo per day. This will be a test of my attention for sure.

Wow. Nice looking tank. Something to follow. Wish my tank would look like yours in two year :)

How old is it? I like the custom cabinets and mounts.

kevindo - Appreciate the kind words. This tank has been setup for 18 months now. I built the cabinet myself. Woodworking is my 3rd hobby (woodworking, reefing and photography)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a "Project 365" in the past - an interesting exercize with "Elf-on-the-Shelf"... Yours has rather more potential for lasting beauty, I think ... in fact, that clown goby photo is frame-worthy! Definitely the sort of thing I'd expect to see on offer at the more interesting art-fest booths . . .

~Bruce

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 great hobbies, the triple threat ha-ha. They all compliment each other. Did all your corals start from frags? What lights do you have?

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project 365 - January 3rd, 2016
Well 3 days into Project 365 and I'm still motivated! Thanks to those that have viewed, liked and commented on my first two posts.

Here is the 3rd entry into my Project 365 journal.

I think most of us start in reefing liking the soft and LPS corals. There is something about the movement that draws us in early. With that said, I think most reefers over time gravitate to SPS corals due to the spectacular growth forms and coloration. I certainly followed this pattern, with my first tank being mostly soft and LPS corals. Over time my aquariums have transitioned to mostly SPS. I'm often asked what my favorite coral is, while that question is not easy to answer the ORA Pearlberry is always in my top 3. I thought I would post a photo of my Pearlberry to represent my passion for SPS corals.

3Photos down 362 more to go!

Project 365 - 1/3/16 - ORA Pearlberry - One of my all time favorites​

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a "Project 365" in the past - an interesting exercize with "Elf-on-the-Shelf"... Yours has rather more potential for lasting beauty, I think ... in fact, that clown goby photo is frame-worthy! Definitely the sort of thing I'd expect to see on offer at the more interesting art-fest booths . . .

~Bruce

Maritimer - Thanks for the view and comment. This will be an exercise all right, an exercise of my attention span. When it comes to tank journals, I'm pretty hot and cold. I thought this project would help me to to stay focused with small daily updates.

3 great hobbies, the triple threat ha-ha. They all compliment each other. Did all your corals start from frags? What lights do you have?

Maximizer - I agree, love all 3 hobbies. As with most hobbies, time becomes the constraint. I live in Arizona so reefing is a great indoor hobby in the summer where my wood working becomes non existent since my garage is also my shop (100+ degrees makes = no fun). As for the corals, they did all start from frags. Some of my corals were moved into this tank from my previous 110 gallon tank. The light is a 60" ATI LED Powermodule. The light has 8 T5's and 4 banks of LEDs. Lots of light!

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great picture! I dabble in wood working myself, not as much as I would like to though. Fishing and keeping aquariums consumes my life lol. I thought it was an ATI fixture but wasn't quite sure

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project 365 - January 4th, 2016
Thanks to those that have viewed, liked and commented on my few posts.

Here is the 4th entry into my Project 365 journal.

For today, I'm posting a photo of my aquarium from the peninsula end. From the viewing glass to the back wall it's 6'. For a couple reference points, the Blue Tang is ~8" long and the Strawberry Shortcake table is ~10"x12". Thanks for looking.

4 down 361 more to go!

Project 365 - 1/4/16 - A View from the End of the Aquarium​

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great picture! I dabble in wood working myself, not as much as I would like to though. Fishing and keeping aquariums consumes my life lol. I thought it was an ATI fixture but wasn't quite sure

Maximzer - Thanks again for checking in and looking at my latest photo. I forgot all about fishing, luckily for my hobby time, I don't live anywhere condusive to fly fish or one of the other hobbies would have to go. I use to live in Colorado where I would fly fish a couple times a week. Miss that along with Snow Boarding and Mountain Biking. Cheers!

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We share similar hobbies!!! I love the idea of project 365. Good luck with it. I'm looking forward to seeing/readying your post. It's also very nice that you are telling a short story with each one. It makes the pictures all that more interesting.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Wyoming so I get to enjoy all of those things haha

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!!

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to finally see how this tank turned out. I remember the initial setup that was posted over on Nano-Reef. Love the rustic look of the stand. Absolutely beautiful as always.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We share similar hobbies!!! I love the idea of project 365. Good luck with it. I'm looking forward to seeing/readying your post. It's also very nice that you are telling a short story with each one. It makes the pictures all that more interesting.

rboutin111 - Thanks for checking in and taking the time to comment. I'm happy that someone appreciates my rambling.

I'm in Wyoming so I get to enjoy all of those things haha

Maximezer - Lucky! There is not a day that goes by that I don't miss the mountains. One day I will be back. Thanks again for the views and comments.

Following!!

Revhtree - Thanks for the subscription. A local reefing friend mentioned you posted a plug for this thread on Facebook. :) Appreciate it.

really nice! hope the FTS is comming soon!

Chis-tico - Thanks for the kind words. Does that first photo not count as a FTS?

Very cool! I look forward to following this all year long!!

ReefBuzz - I look forward to having you along for the ride. Very much appreciate the encouraging posts.

Glad to finally see how this tank turned out. I remember the initial setup that was posted over on Nano-Reef. Love the rustic look of the stand. Absolutely beautiful as always.

erk - Yea, sorry about the long delay. I was without a DSLR for over a year. Santa brought a new camera which has reinvigorated my photography itch. Thanks for the props on the cabinet. That was a fun project for sure.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly new to Reef2Reef in terms of posting. In fact, other than a for sale thread, this is my first topic that I've started here on Reef2Reef. I've frequented other forums but seem to find myself hanging out more on Reef2Reef than any of the other forums.

On a photography forum, I recently read about Project 365 which is simply taking and posting one photograph every day of the year. With the new year, I thought it would be a great challenge and have great application to reefing.

So with that said, here is a photograph that I posted yesterday January 1st, 2016 on another thread here on Reef2Reef. This will be the first of 365 photos to follow.

Happy New Year!

Project 365 - 1/1/16 - Urbanek's 250 FTS​
That is absolutely Beautiful!!! I will be following along!

Back