Proper lighting for refugium?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am breaking down my 25G and I have a Current USA Orbit Marine Pro http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.pdf (pro is a different model). Question will that work for the refugium / plant needs in my sump? If so what is the ideal mix of W/B and intensity settings?
yes it will. use more white than blue. yours is the non lensed. intensity will depend on how high it it over the tank. fwiw green plant like more warm, so you can put a small piece of white printer paper over some of the leds to warm them up in color temp.

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it will. use more white than blue. yours is the non lensed. intensity will depend on how high it it over the tank. fwiw green plant like more warm, so you can put a small piece of white printer paper over some of the leds to warm them up in color temp.

I will only be about 1.5" above the sump (which is 13" in depth). Start with 75%W/25%B? How long should the lights be on?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will only be about 1.5" above the sump (which is 13" in depth). Start with 75%W/25%B? How long should the lights be on?
Id start at prob 30 or 40% I think, give you some wiggle room at that distance. and the color I do by eye. you may want more blue. I run my fuge opposite the display.

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id start at prob 30 or 40% I think, give you some wiggle room at that distance. and the color I do by eye. you may want more blue. I run my fuge opposite the display.

Cool thanks for the feedback and info. One last Q - any links you would suggest I read up on for refugiums? This is my first one.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white is pretty warm, I forget the exact temp. True 6500 is sun light. led for reefs generally dont contain enough R Y & O for a true 6500k.

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white is pretty warm, I forget the exact temp. True 6500 is sun light. led for reefs generally dont contain enough R Y & O for a true 6500k.

I'm back! [emoji23] So after more research the only outstanding issue I see is they talk about having water flow in the refugium. If I throw a power head in there (wave maker style) would that suffice?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back! [emoji23] So after more research the only outstanding issue I see is they talk about having water flow in the refugium. If I throw a power head in there (wave maker style) would that suffice?
Depending on the flow in sump or fuge already, you may be ok. All plants like flow. some more than others.
If you have a low turnover from the return you might.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But yea a powerhead is fine. I actually use the small 12v $4 DC pumps, to save a penny on electricity.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back