Proper Powerhead Placement

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started this hobby, I couldn't find any basic guidelines on how to generate proper flow in my tank.. I read things like, "SPS like 40x turnover rate" or, "place one on each end a few inches from the surface", but nothing exact. Return nozzle placement and direction were not addressed either. I feel like I struggled with this more than I should have. I like my flow in my tank and I'd like to share, and encourage others to share as well.

First off I'm not a water movement expert and this is my experience. I have a center overflow and a single return on a 72 bowfront. I use a eheim compact+ 2000 (about 500 gph w/ 4' of head). I like my return to shoot straight across the back panel, breaking the water's surface and I have a powerhead directly under that mid way down in the tank also pointed across the back panel. then I have the other powerhead on the opposite side, offset center, and angled at the middle of the bow on the front panel. I have an LPS tank so flow doesn't have to be crazy in there. I use 2 jebao pp-8s and they create a swirl of water in the tank. There's a dead spot in the middle where no rock or coral is. detritus gathers there on my BB and it's easy to see and remove during a WC.

How do you have your flow set up?

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started this hobby, I couldn't find any basic guidelines on how to generate proper flow in my tank.. I read things like, "SPS like 40x turnover rate" or, "place one on each end a few inches from the surface", but nothing exact. Return nozzle placement and direction were not addressed either. I feel like I struggled with this more than I should have. I like my flow in my tank and I'd like to share, and encourage others to share as well.

First off I'm not a water movement expert and this is my experience. I have a center overflow and a single return on a 72 bowfront. I use a eheim compact+ 2000 (about 500 gph w/ 4' of head). I like my return to shoot straight across the back panel, breaking the water's surface and I have a powerhead directly under that mid way down in the tank also pointed across the back panel. then I have the other powerhead on the opposite side, offset center, and angled at the middle of the bow on the front panel. I have an LPS tank so flow doesn't have to be crazy in there. I use 2 jebao pp-8s and they create a swirl of water in the tank. There's a dead spot in the middle where no rock or coral is. detritus gathers there on my BB and it's easy to see and remove during a WC.

How do you have your flow set up?
I was just discussing this with our lfs. Trying to find the sweet spots for my tank's powerheads. Any chance for a pic to see?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measuring flow is not easy or cheap, so that's a big part of the problem.

As a half-measure, I like knowing the meaningful coverage area of the pumps I'm working with.

Tunze had a great reply on that:
Flow reach by pump model?

From experience, an mp40 covers about 24" and an mp10 covers about 12".

Those are the only ones I know.

But most of the time all you have to go on is the "GPH" rating on the side of the box. That can give you an idea of relative power – where one pump that has 2x the GPH is twice as strong. But it gives you no idea whatsoever about what the pump is going to do in the tank.

That's where I reference this video since it does contain some excellent information and data. You can visually see what each pump's flow is like. Pretty rare opportunity:

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you start talking GPH and all the other numbers, I'm lost. Seeing the pumps in action like this video shows is exactly what I need. I wish someone would do this comparison with all the top brands so we could make a better informed decision. Show the pumps in action against each other. I do understand that rock placement and other factors play a roll but this is a great starting point.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measuring flow is not easy or cheap, so that's a big part of the problem.

As a half-measure, I like knowing the meaningful coverage area of the pumps I'm working with.

Tunze had a great reply on that:
Flow reach by pump model?

From experience, an mp40 covers about 24" and an mp10 covers about 12".

Those are the only ones I know.

But most of the time all you have to go on is the "GPH" rating on the side of the box. That can give you an idea of relative power – where one pump that has 2x the GPH is twice as strong. But it gives you no idea whatsoever about what the pump is going to do in the tank.

That's where I reference this video since it does contain some excellent information and data. You can visually see what each pump's flow is like. Pretty rare opportunity:

my favorite video on flow

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your timing on this subject couldn't be better. My tank is sitting fallow for 69 more days and I am in the process of re doing my scape. I can take my time with this and get better coral placement along with better flow without worrying about my livestock right now. I am trying to make sure I get lots of flow through my rock to the other side of my tank or as near to it as I can while still allowing a full broadcast of flow as well. Thank you for both videos.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like things are doing a pretty good job!! :)

For what it's worth "good flow" is momentary.

After corals grow in a while, you will always have to amend your flow to eliminate new dead spots and boost flow where it's fallen off due to turbulence – most especially if you grow branchy corals. Their skeletons have dual purpose – to eat light and eat flow. It's why they are more common than other corals in high energy habitats...better coping mechanism.

So even if we could measure our flow, that would only give us definitive targets to hit. It still wouldn't tell us where to place pumps or how pumps will perform relative to the aquascaping.

So, in the interest of thinking out loud and experimentation... :)

Does the angled pump in the left of the view have enough "oomph" to be moved to the back wall, aimed at the same spot on the front glass? It would be more invisible this way. :)

And for the right-hand pump, would you say most of the flow makes it by that rocky peak that appears to be slightly off to the side of it? With that rock creating turbulence right there in it's house, that pump seems like it would have to be hampered at least a little.

What if you flipped their roles and angled the right pump so almost all its flow is directed to the front glass, around the rocky peak.

The pump on the left already has a totally clear shot across the tank, so just aim him more or less straight from left to right....or move him up/down/left/right on that glass and pick the most convenient spot or where he gets the clearest shot to the other side.

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 MP40wQD's in my 75g, set on about 50% on Reef crest (I don't have the reeflink). They are ofset, left on more toward the front and right one more toward the back, both about 2-3 in from the surface. No idea if it is right, too much or not enough. My tank is 95% SPS.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 MP40wQD's in my 75g, set on about 50% on Reef crest (I don't have the reeflink). They are ofset, left on more toward the front and right one more toward the back, both about 2-3 in from the surface. No idea if it is right, too much or not enough. My tank is 95% SPS.

That's a nice combo of Vortech's for that size tank....you should be able to get away with whatever placement works for your layout.

Give the pumps the most-clear shot into the tank you can.

Consider placing them on the rear glass! :)

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice combo of Vortech's for that size tank....you should be able to get away with whatever placement works for your layout.

I am actually thinking of trying that with mine. Going to get rock placement done first then experiment with the powerheads. I'll observe for a couple days to see and change if needed.

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had an MP10 on the back glass, while I was cleaning one of the pumps. Below is a FTS, let me know what you think, excuse the fish trap in there. I am trying to catch a Pigmy Hawkfish and he is a smart bugger.

1-15-17.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the fish trap...
Fly fishing hook (get the smallest you can), a few feet of the correct line (I'd check with your vendor; I'm no fly fisherman) and a mysis shrimp on the hook. You'll have him in minutes almost without stressing anyone. You can even file the tiny little barb off the hook if you want. :) I've seen this used numerous times...it strikes me every time how it's over just about as quick as it's begun, and without a single chase, broken coral, etc.

On the pumps...
I would definitely try out rear-placement. You have that Grandstand effect going with your layout – the pumps can be half-way between the top of the rock/corals and the water surface. The weak spot in flow where larger detritus will start dropping will be right over the corals! An auto-feeder! :cool:

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like things are doing a pretty good job!! :)

For what it's worth "good flow" is momentary.

After corals grow in a while, you will always have to amend your flow to eliminate new dead spots and boost flow where it's fallen off due to turbulence – most especially if you grow branchy corals. Their skeletons have dual purpose – to eat light and eat flow. It's why they are more common than other corals in high energy habitats...better coping mechanism.

So even if we could measure our flow, that would only give us definitive targets to hit. It still wouldn't tell us where to place pumps or how pumps will perform relative to the aquascaping.

So, in the interest of thinking out loud and experimentation... :)

Does the angled pump in the left of the view have enough "oomph" to be moved to the back wall, aimed at the same spot on the front glass? It would be more invisible this way. :)

And for the right-hand pump, would you say most of the flow makes it by that rocky peak that appears to be slightly off to the side of it? With that rock creating turbulence right there in it's house, that pump seems like it would have to be hampered at least a little.

What if you flipped their roles and angled the right pump so almost all its flow is directed to the front glass, around the rocky peak.

The pump on the left already has a totally clear shot across the tank, so just aim him more or less straight from left to right....or move him up/down/left/right on that glass and pick the most convenient spot or where he gets the clearest shot to the other side.
Funny you mention those suggestions bc that's what I was contemplating last night. switching the roles of the 2 pumps and having my return go in the same direction as the powerhead on the right aimed at the fron glass. Time to experiment!

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the fish trap...
Fly fishing hook (get the smallest you can), a few feet of the correct line (I'd check with your vendor; I'm no fly fisherman) and a mysis shrimp on the hook. You'll have him in minutes almost without stressing anyone. You can even file the tiny little barb off the hook if you want. :) I've seen this used numerous times...it strikes me every time how it's over just about as quick as it's begun, and without a single chase, broken coral, etc.

On the pumps...
I would definitely try out rear-placement. You have that Grandstand effect going with your layout – the pumps can be half-way between the top of the rock/corals and the water surface. The weak spot in flow where larger detritus will start dropping will be right over the corals! An auto-feeder! :cool:
I really like the fish for your fish idea!

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering about mine too. I have dual returns and two oceanpulse duo powerheads?

It looks like everything blows around, they alternate every 6 minutes. I'm pretty sure I have dead spots behind my rocks. The top of the water does ripple.
0115171713.jpeg

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcarroll , I just switched it and I like it. same coral swaying action AND it's kicking up so,e detritus out of the rocks. I'm sure the corals will appreciate the change in flow. Now I understand what you meant when you told me a few months back to get 4 pumps on a wave maker. That would essentiall keep the swirling effect, but switvh it up every 6 or 12 hours to keep it more randomized. Dangit that one took a while to set in. thanks Matt!

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've got a 70 gallon cadlights with 2 MP10wQD's. One on the right facing left side and slightly set towards the back. The other, on the left of the tank, is facing the front. I felt it would cause a slight swirling.

I also have the flow set at random frequencies.

IMG_1805.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

The tank from the front:

IMG_1806.JPG

It seems the Vectra m1 return pump seems to provide good return flow as well.

Just curious if upgrading or adding 1 MP40 would be beneficial.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of that tank and have you measured your return outlets or drain to see what your actual flow rate is? Just time how long it takes to fill any container that's convenient to fit in the space to take a sample and extrapolate to GPH.

It looks like you have a lot of room to turn up the mp10's, so I'd see what they're capable of in your scenario before upgrading anything.

Hypothetically, if your 70 is approximately the dimensions of a standard 75 Gallon, a pair of mp40's mounted similarly to your mp10's is pretty ideal.

You have to be the judge though...maybe you have the ideal setup for those mp10's! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back