Proper Powerhead Placement

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever ran two mp40s on the same side of the tank facing the overflow? I am having issues with sediments sitting on the top of the water and only being pushed around. I have a 80gallon 4ft shallow tank. I was wondering if I put both on the same side if it would eliminate all of the floating stuff on the top of the water.
If you have surface scum that might have more to do with a poorly functioning overflow. What's the current setup and how many gallons is the return pump?

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x WAV pumps on back glass running pipeline @ 10 second intervals, alternating with each other. Great random flow.

Joel Franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have surface scum that might have more to do with a poorly functioning overflow. What's the current setup and how many gallons is the return pump?
I have a Deep Blue 80 Gallon tank with a durso overflow setup. I am using the SICCE 3.0 return pump which is rated for 714GPH before head loss pressure. The hose is only about 3 feet before coming up the return pipe.

Uwharrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for a Biocube 29? right now I have an RW8 on the right side near the back facing left and a RW4 on the middle of the back wall ( maybe 3 inch below water line) facing the front of the tank. I am thinking about adding a second RW4 on the left facing right. I have Zinia, Kenya, zoa's ,a Duncan, torch and a couple of frog spawns

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Deep Blue 80 Gallon tank with a durso overflow setup. I am using the SICCE 3.0 return pump which is rated for 714GPH before head loss pressure. The hose is only about 3 feet before coming up the return pipe.
Is there any way you could aim the return the return nozzle to break the surface and push the scum towards the overflow? A pic would help.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for a Biocube 29? right now I have an RW8 on the right side near the back facing left and a RW4 on the middle of the back wall ( maybe 3 inch below water line) facing the front of the tank. I am thinking about adding a second RW4 on the left facing right. I have Zinia, Kenya, zoa's ,a Duncan, torch and a couple of frog spawns
What if both powerheads were on the back glass towards the right side. RW-8 3 inches from the right panel and 3 or 4 inches below water line pointed towards the right side of the front glass, then the RW-4 positioned on the back glass a few inches below the rw8 pointed cati-corner across the tank? Pics of the rock work please?

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the drop from the tank level to the overflow box level?

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to upgrade my powerheads but don't have a large budget. Any suggestions for a 110g that won't break the bank?

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think this or the 15 would be enough or need 2?

Screenshot_2017-02-04-11-33-17.png

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone suggest on where to point my powerheads? 65 gallon tank with an mp40 and a korlia 850 pointed towards the surface.

IMG_0077.JPG

Jerzyray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an acrylic rod to poke around the tank so you can feel the flow hitting the rod, that way I have an idea on how strong the flow is in different spot of the tank. With the rod you can get close to the corals and feel the flow around it. That's what I do

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a pigmy hawkfish, I loved him until I caught him eating my 1 year old cleaner shrimp. Daughters were upset and wanted another cleaner shrimp, but wasn't going to spend the money on another one until the hawkfish was out and sold back to the LFS.
Wish I read this earlier

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back