Pros vs Cons: Deep Sand Bed vs Shallow Sand Bed

Deep Sand Bed vs Shallow Sand Bed: If you had to choose which would you choose?

• Deep Sand Bed

Votes: 125 38.8%
  • Shallow Sand Bed

Votes: 197 61.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Over the years that has been a lot of debate over the value of a deep sand bed versus a shallow sand bed. Of course there is also the argument of NO sand bed but that is for another topic on another day. Today I would like to discuss the pros and cons of the DSB vs the SSB.

What do you prefer and what do you feel are the pros and cons of each?

ssb.jpg

Reef@holic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been a fan of a shallow sand bed, I tried bare bottom once but I couldn't get used to the look. A shallow sand bed is easy to clean but still gives you the "reef bottom" look in your tank. I'm sure there is pros and cons of both some proven and some not but I've never kept a deep sand bed and had much success without it!

Scuba George

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shallow sand bed I think pro- no gas build up, con- gobys don't have as much fun or overall comfort.

Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel. Got it?

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a shallow 1 inch bed in my dt and a 3 inch bed in my refug

Strange Addiction

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying a deep sand bed for the first time and am excited to see what all happens my Engener Golbys are loving it so far so good, it makes sence to me thats why i wanted to try it!

sirjustis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are dab beneficial if animals disturb it??? Thought I saw something that said it should be untouched, and flow unrestricted across the top.

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone define these terms for me? I have heard a deep sand bed must be at least 4" deep. Does that mean a shallow bed is anything under that? Is there a "no man's land" in between deep and shallow that is hard to clean and doesn't offer you the benefits of the DSB?

(I just added sand to my new set up last night and have been trying to make this decision).

Scuba George

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why either would be easier you just clean the top. Like I said gases are the only problem I can think of for dsb

Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel. Got it?

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another alternative that I use. Rdsb (remote deep sand bed) a 5 gallon bucket filled with fine sand with a slow water flow across the top. The display tank is bare bottom. The benefit is a very good denitrator.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't imagine not having my 5-6", 330 lb. Southdown DSB in my 100G. Its been there for over 8 years now and still as white and loose as the day it was installed.
It has never been vacuumed deeper than 1/4", never been removed or replaced, and never been disturbed other than a little digging here and there by my yellow watchman goby or wrasse. The phosphates and nitrates are non detectable using Salifert kits. I do also use and recommend a Phosban type reactor with 1/2 the recommended dosage or about 5 grams per 10 gallons of system water 24/7/365 and have a refugium section in my sump which contains chaetomorpha macroalgae. The pumps are two Evolutions 1400's on a RKL set at 30 second switching intervals and an OR 3500 return pump via an Oceans Motions Squirt two way so the flows are pretty high and the sand stays put just fine, no mounding or bare spots.

Personally I think DSB's have received an undeserved bad rap on some of the reef forums. The problems I have personally seen have been the owner constantly messing with the sand, disturbing the anaerobic and anoxic bacterias in the process. Leave it alone, do not over stock and do not overfeed and it works fine. Just my opinion based on over 8 years of constant use and success.

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone define these terms for me? I have heard a deep sand bed must be at least 4" deep. Does that mean a shallow bed is anything under that? Is there a "no man's land" in between deep and shallow that is hard to clean and doesn't offer you the benefits of the DSB?

(I just added sand to my new set up last night and have been trying to make this decision).

I think 4" is an absolute minimum for a dsb ..... a 6" preferable. Personally I think my last tank was in the 'no mans land' ..... I had about a 3" sand bed with fairly coarse substrate and it was too deep to clean effectively and was a detritrus trap along with being too coarse for the beneficial sand dwellers ..... and not deep enough nor fine enough to offer an effective anaerobic zone.

I had been running a dsb on my 90 for a couple years and loved it .... so when I upgraded the other tank I went with a dsb in there too - used 6-8" of tropic eden aragasnow with a little bit of flakes on top.

The hardest part is waiting for the sand bed to mature!

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO with plant life like macros in a refugium or an ats, the sand bed is irrelevant.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I couldn't imagine not having my 5-6", 330 lb. Southdown DSB in my 100G. Its been there for over 8 years now and still as white and loose as the day it was installed.
It has never been vacuumed deeper than 1/4", never been removed or replaced, and never been disturbed other than a little digging here and there by my yellow watchman goby or wrasse. The phosphates and nitrates are non detectable using Salifert kits. I do also use and recommend a Phosban type reactor with 1/2 the recommended dosage or about 5 grams per 10 gallons of system water 24/7/365 and have a refugium section in my sump which contains chaetomorpha macroalgae. The pumps are two Evolutions 1400's on a RKL set at 30 second switching intervals and an OR 3500 return pump via an Oceans Motions Squirt two way so the flows are pretty high and the sand stays put just fine, no mounding or bare spots.

Personally I think DSB's have received an undeserved bad rap on some of the reef forums. The problems I have personally seen have been the owner constantly messing with the sand, disturbing the anaerobic and anoxic bacterias in the process. Leave it alone, do not over stock and do not overfeed and it works fine. Just my opinion based on over 8 years of constant use and success.

Agreed!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had a dsb now for 10 years and i agree with what Mr. Desert rat has stated.

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PROS OF
Bare bottom:
1. Corals are easy to frag off the glass
2. Your powerhead will not get damaged by sand. (Duh)
3. The glass can potentially reflect the light towards the undersides of corals giving them more color and body.
4. No rotten spots caused by old sand.

1-3 inch sand bed:

1. More life forms!
2. Eats detritus buildup
3. Cushions glass from rock falls
4. Helps some fish with digestion
5. Looks natural
6. Helps reduce reflection from bottom glass in cases of extreme lighting.
7. Makes a good place to poke frags

Deep sand bed:

1. All of the pros of previous sand bed
2. Actually supports Rockwork.
3. Denitrification
4. Allows for tunneling animals
5. Raises corals closer to the light

CONS OF:

Bare bottom:

1. Can look unnatural
2. Can cause too much reflection
3. No cushion for rock.
4. No place for sand loving critters
5. Requires more sump filtration and water changes.

1-3 inch sand bed:

1. Can damage pumps
2. Can get old and rot

Deep sand bed:

1. Same as 1-3 inch sand bed
2. May look strange in a shallow tank

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back