Pros vs Cons: Deep Sand Bed vs Shallow Sand Bed

Deep Sand Bed vs Shallow Sand Bed: If you had to choose which would you choose?

• Deep Sand Bed

Votes: 125 38.8%
  • Shallow Sand Bed

Votes: 197 61.2%

• Total voters

ThreeAces_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I can't believe I read thru this whole thread! It's weird how we try to replicate the ocean with lights,flow,parameters etc but the most simple the floor seems to be the trickiest. I'm pretty sure the ocean has a deep sand bed lol, but for the purpose of this conversation,I'd appreciate any experience people may have had with a remote DSB (+6") and where within their system it was plumbed. I'm thinking of putting mine between the skimmer and return pump.

Reef addict...

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree with either going with a 4" + DSB or a 1" or less SSB or bare. The size of the tank I think should have something to do with the depth of your SB. (Duh) I tried doing 3" in a bio cube 29 and had nothing but problems after the first 6 months. All the sand life died and black spots started to form. I almost killed my entire tank when I thought poking a stick into the sand and stirring up the black spots would help.(newbie lol) Anyway, it always seems that everyone has their own experiences with both. Weather it's good husbandry, where you live, your water source, food you feed or the million 2 other undetectable possible reasons that can affect or beloved tanks.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 4" sand bed and did not understand the no diggers part. I have an engineer and well let's just say I am glad I put my rock on the bottom of the tank. Now I am down to about 2.5" on average and I mix it. I am over 3 years and I would use small gravel on my next tank with some large crushed coral because I don't like sand in the water column when my clown waves his rear in the sand. I was shocked to hear a tank at 14+ years with a DSB because I though they all have not made it at this point, but I now think that maybe the ones that did not make it were not quite doing it correctly. I personally will never use no substrate as I do not like the look, so for now I think I will continue to slowly reduce mine and maybe add gravel.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125gal DT has 1-5" of sand and has been up and running since 2002. I keep SPS, LPS, softies. I keep my goniopora in the sand. The sand bed depth varies due to water motion. I move my power heads to different places every week or two.

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this discussion just never gets old. I've done what I consider a DSB of 5". I can see how it was beneficial, but just didn't like the look of the bubbles that built up and cleanliness of it. I went with a 2" on my last reef rank and really liked it. It became filled with all kinds of worms that would take care of any uneaten food and detritus, worked great. It was the Black Hawaiian and always received nice reviews from the people that saw it. I'm going the same route in my next tank I'm in the middle of building. It's a shallow nano, so didn't want anything too deep, planning on some planted macros in it also.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I can't believe I read thru this whole thread! It's weird how we try to replicate the ocean with lights,flow,parameters etc but the most simple the floor seems to be the trickiest. I'm pretty sure the ocean has a deep sand bed lol, but for the purpose of this conversation,I'd appreciate any experience people may have had with a remote DSB (+6") and where within their system it was plumbed. I'm thinking of putting mine between the skimmer and return pump.

You need to check out Lasse's Dream build https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lasses-dream-build.246188/ He has the ultimate in remote deep sandbeds.

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoever brought this thread back gets to wear the official R2R gravedigger medal...

23514197.jpg

Albert Bazaar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes DSB never get old.I am ones of the old,old timers from the days Of Lee Ching Eng and Robert Straughn,Steven Spotte.
Martin Moe,ect..I was 8 years old with my first reef tank by 12years old I was collecting in Florida when my parents would go on vacation and I would bring my tropical beauties back to Chicago.I am 55 now so you can do the math.

The question of a DSB vs Shallow is as simple as what you are trying to accomplish.If you wish a just pretty display tank then,there
are many combinations of systems that will work.Can be as simple as a skimmer and a dosser or even just powerheads.

If you are trying to keep,red ball and finger sponges,then deep sand bed will helpBUT THERE IS A CATCH!!!

Deep substrate beds still need some circulation/exchange to be fully effective,just like a zeolite system.I first realized this on neglected tanks of my own and in many pet shops.Everytime,the stores would get new systems and myself included the old ones sat unnoticed in the corner.
Months later to my surprise the life in many of these were flourishing beyond belief.Yes,the front glass would be clouded over with algae but when one looked down,sponges plants coral where flourishing.In almost all these systems the undergravel filters which back then just a plate with a narrow air uplift tube had either quite or close to it with just just a bubble a second or none.The hang on power filters had stopped completely and the water had evaporated some until the tank was half full,salinities of 1.026-1.028.Yet everything was growing enormously.

First thought is ohh man I got to clean this up!!!Yes,all of us even in the shops when I would point it out,would engage the undergravels,start up the power filters,ect..To the doom of everthing that was doing so well untouched.

It was always the same.Disabled or almost disabled undergravel filter.Plenum system with slight water exchange is what it amounts to.Circulation and exchange was through the uplift tubes.

It is the only way I have found to keep red ball and finger sponges growing and flourishing for years on end.Zooanthids make carpets all over the bottom.Why??? Now this is my assumption.I believe it is from the small amounts of sulfides and anerobic bacteria that get into the main tank from the plenum.Got that idea from the thermal vent studies in the ridges.
With vinegar/vodka once every 2 week,feeding is seldom necessary. There are no impellers to kill plankton fauna either.

I wish to mention also back then we did not use heavy lighting.People mostly used Grow-lux or a sunny window depending on what you wanted to accomplish.

Vinegar and Vodka actually was being used since the 70's by some marine biologists.I was introduced to it by a Man named Art who work at the Hiller's Garden Center in I believe it was Lockport,Illinois.

Even in the Oceans the sand beds and sediments are constantly on the move at one time or another.One only has to look or dive in high tide.

Sorry for the long winded story I was reminiscing!!! In fact I be setting up a little 20 nano this week,same system as above with zoo,mushrooms and of course sponges.

Post the pics as it progresses.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back