Protein Skimmer Advice

henryhahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running skimmer-less for a while, but I think I want to add one now.
I have been looking at various brands/models and running into a few problems, and even more questions.
*Internal - Really not looking to give up that much real estate in my tank
*No Sump and no room for it based on what I see in others' builds. I built the cabinet so that it fits under my wife's mirror, so not a lot of room inside. I run a canister filter on one side and a 10gallon tank on the other holds my odds and ends and just fits.

I have a little over 3.5" between the tank and the wall, so I figured I'd look into HOB. From what I've seen, I think I like the Eshopps PSK-75H. I think it would just meet the space requirements by my measures, but 2 problems arise.
1 - I read somewhere that on this device was a sticker that said "all protein skimmers overflow at some point" This is a HOB, so obviously nothing to catch the overflow, and is in my living room, so really would not go over well if gallons of water flooded the floor while we are at work. (Is this 100% going to overflow? How much water am I looking at if it does? Is there a way to direct the overflow to a small container?)
2 - There is this tube sticking straight up from inside the tank...I have no room with light above tank (Is there some other way to configure this?)
skimpolecunun.png

Any advice is appreciated alternate skimmer(s) as well

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octopuss makes a nice HOB. I ran one for 2 years on my 75 with no problems. They clean up easily and have a low profile. Only reason I stopped using it was cause I needed a bigger skimmer when I got a larger tank.

OP
OP
henryhahn

henryhahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octopuss makes a nice HOB. I ran one for 2 years on my 75 with no problems. They clean up easily and have a low profile. Only reason I stopped using it was cause I needed a bigger skimmer when I got a larger tank.
It looks like the BH90 does not have that tube that sticks up inside the tank, but the other models do. Which did you use?

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the aquamaxx hob-1 and I'm very happy with it.

Mickie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eshopps 75 hob works great...I used tubing and attached it to the outside drain in the skimmer cup...snaked the tubing down to a 5 gallon bucket just in case it overflows.

You can also rig up an automatic shut off with a float valve...but I didn't really read up on how to do that....

I don't think there is anyway to move the water adjustment tube anywhere else.

Mickie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*I've been running mine for about 6 months with no overflow issues.

OP
OP
henryhahn

henryhahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eshopps 75 hob works great...I used tubing and attached it to the outside drain in the skimmer cup...snaked the tubing down to a 5 gallon bucket just in case it overflows.

You can also rig up an automatic shut off with a float valve...but I didn't really read up on how to do that....

I don't think there is anyway to move the water adjustment tube anywhere else.
I have seen it in stores and really like it, but unless I come into a windfall where I can upgrade to a super slim/sexy light, I can't swing it due to that pipe :(
Good to know I can direct the overflow and do some type of shut off :)

OP
OP
henryhahn

henryhahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the aquamaxx hob-1 and I'm very happy with it.
Thanks for the recc, but it doesn't look like it would fit. My light is right above the tank with just enough gap in the back to run a pvc pipe/hose through.
(Please ignore the salt creep on the light, it is due to one of my more brilliant learning experiences involving air stones.
20170110_124811.jpg

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recc, but it doesn't look like it would fit. My light is right above the tank with just enough gap in the back to run a pvc pipe/hose through.
(Please ignore the salt creep on the light, it is due to one of my more brilliant learning experiences involving air stones.
20170110_124811.jpg
I understand :)
Very nice tank!

OP
OP
henryhahn

henryhahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thank you! :D That's the first compliment I've received :D
I guess I've never really posted the tank before....Labor of love...

OP
OP
henryhahn

henryhahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the Octopus 90 is the only HoB that doesn't have something sticking straight up from the tank...It is more skimmer than I need with only a 55 :(
Anyone else have a HoB profile skimmer on a smaller tank?

Back