PSXerholic's 210 Gallon Reef in "Reefcity Houston" ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers. Given that, as you say, the majority of bacteria are attached to something, while the UV gets some of the things in the water column, it does seem odd to worry about the effects of UV on the bacterial system.
Absolutely not. Where did you get these stories?
Any links?

Andre

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which 'stories'?

[...]
On the other hand, desired heterotrophic bacteria do populate much faster as you can kill them completely with UV, while dosing carbon.
So not running a huge oversized unit in my opinion will not be harmful.
[...]
Bear in mind, most of the good bacteria in the tank reside on the substrate and not in the water column, that unfortunately also applies to some real bad bacteria.

-Andre

As far as I can tell I seemed to be agreeing with you, but apparently not. Perhaps you were objecting to use of 'attached to something' rather than 'residing in'?

I'm rather confused by your last post when compared with the previous post quoted above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which 'stories'?

As far as I can tell I seemed to be agreeing with you, but apparently not. Perhaps you were objecting to use of 'attached to something' rather than 'residing in'?

I'm rather confused by your last post when compared with the previous post quoted above.
OK, let's clarify this. UV will kill heterotrophic bacteria. Most good bacteria (non-pathogenic) do reside on substrate and won't get significantly affected by reasonable UV.
I use the UV in order to keep the tank free of pathogenic (bacteria diseases) bacteria, which are mostly heterotrophic. Unfortunately not all of them are, so it's a preventive thing.
Overusing UV will of course kill your live plankton in the tank and affects the food chain.

-Andre

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what I said that was the 'story' you referred to or what you were disagreeing with, but thanks for the clarification. Overusing anything is bad, by definition... otherwise you would simply be 'using' and not 'overusing'. ;)

Anyway, in summary, you are using UV (but not aggressively) to keep the water column reasonably clear of pathogens and this doesn't have a sufficiently negative effect on beneficial bacteria or their part in providing a food source in the water column to outweigh the benefit of using UV. That was my initial understanding that you seemed to disagree with. I guess if UV was too aggressive you would see this reflected in nutrient levels rising.

I use Zeovit, hence my question about carbon dosing while using UV. With sufficient bacterial activity I guess moderate use of UV can actually be incorporated.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what I said that was the 'story' you referred to or what you were disagreeing with, but thanks for the clarification. Overusing anything is bad, by definition... otherwise you would simply be 'using' and not 'overusing'. ;)

Anyway, in summary, you are using UV (but not aggressively) to keep the water column reasonably clear of pathogens and this doesn't have a sufficiently negative effect on beneficial bacteria or their part in providing a food source in the water column to outweigh the benefit of using UV. That was my initial understanding that you seemed to disagree with. I guess if UV was too aggressive you would see this reflected in nutrient levels rising.

I use Zeovit, hence my question about carbon dosing while using UV. With sufficient bacterial activity I guess moderate use of UV can actually be incorporated.

I guess we are on the same path now, sorry about the confusion.
So far I know a few people using UV while operating a Zeofit system.
For reference, a 210G DT system is typically good with a 56W UV unit for example from Aqua UV etc., the biggest UV unit on a 210 I know personally is a 144W unit.
I have a 24/7 - 56W unit running.

As everything in this hobby, it's all unique depending on each system setup, so UV sizes can vary. But the above number I do see quite often.

-Andre

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2731_zpsuha4mzce.jpg

Sunset at the reef............
Love the explosion and variety of colors when the T5's are off and the LED's are ramping down.

-Andre

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_2731_zpsuha4mzce.jpg

Sunset at the reef............
Love the explosion and variety of colors when the T5's are off and the LED's are ramping down.

-Andre

Nice shot!

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Emperor Aquatic 25 watt UV. Will this work efficiently on my 93 gallon mixed reef? Thank you!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Emperor Aquatic 25 watt UV. Will this work efficiently on my 93 gallon mixed reef? Thank you!
I would say yes for most common bacteria and diseases as well keep algae spores in check.

Do not expect to cure an ICH outbreak, nevertheless it will somewhat help to prevent ICH. Not wanna argue about ICH here, but if the tank is healthy and the fish's immune system is good, no ICH outbreak will happen ;-)

-Andre

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dangit! I bought it to cure an ICH outbreak!! Haha jk, luckily my fish seem plump, happy, and breed/lay eggs often. I'm glad this will work as another preventative measure against ICH and other diseases. Thanks for the info, much appreciated

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will help, don't get me wrong. However, sometimes people have a very unhealthy tank, and expect a medication or a UV to take care of the ICH.
Well, those need to understand that ICH is a result of an issue, whatever issue it is.
Anyways it is a good investment. Let it run 24/7.

If you watch ORP, and it goes over 350-380, then reduce the UV time per day ;-)

-Andre

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And another quick one of one of my favorite Acro ;-)

Again, mute the speaker, the wife was vacuuming ...........................

-Andre

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, half your tank is stocked by my frags already if I recall ;-)

Be more then welcome to come by for a chat and look at the tank Sir!
WD Acro frags and some more DIESEL corals grow like weed and today I have the Afterparty coming in.
I finally managed it to have the frag system being part of the main system, fed with dirty tank water. Since then the Corals in the frag tank doing as great as in the DT. That will hopefully allow me now to get rid of the remaining frag racks in the display tank very soon ;-)
Can't wait for that.

-Andre

bowen1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo like if I pay shipping do you wanna send me tons and tons of corals :p. Tank is looking wonderful (I wouldnt expect anything less really) Looking forward to the video!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo like if I pay shipping do you wanna send me tons and tons of corals :p. Tank is looking wonderful (I wouldnt expect anything less really) Looking forward to the video!

THX Man,
just before this escalates and get me in trouble again, let's keep the subject here off any trading related activities and subjects.
It would not be fair to our R2R sponsors, and even worse it would form this thread into a marketplace and off the fun on the hobby ;-)

But if anyone need help how to propagate a coral, you're more then welcome to raise the question ;-)
So, yes a HD Video is in the work. Just need to get a few damages been cured, from an heavy ALK swing, and then the tank is ready to go again.

-Andre

bowen1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THX Man,
just before this escalates and get me in trouble again, let's keep the subject here off any trading related activities and subjects.
It would not be fair to our R2R sponsors, and even worse it would form this thread into a marketplace and off the fun on the hobby ;-)

But if anyone need help how to propagate a coral, you're more then welcome to raise the question ;-)
So, yes a HD Video is in the work. Just need to get a few damages been cured, from an heavy ALK swing, and then the tank is ready to go again.

-Andre

Oh it was a joke I'm not trying to get you busted :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back