Purple Hornet Ripoff?

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Hornet Scam?

First of all, does anyone recognize this picture as being theirs, or having seen this EXACT picture before (and know where it comes from)? It just seems strangely reminiscent somehow...

9-14-09 Hornet Time.jpg

The reason I ask is that I got a request for a trade through frags.org from a new member on the day they joined (8-14-09), and they are offering me this 8 adult polyp frag, as pictured, in trade for a bunch of my coral. I don't mean to be the paranoid type, but it raises some flags for me. Add to that the fact that I searched their email addy and came up with a craigslist complaint in FL (where this person is supposed to be from) against the person with that addy selling fake guchi bags, and that doesn't help. So, I want to do a little more homework.

I also just requested a second pic from a different angle to confirm the piece, so we'll see.

Thanks for everyone's time,
Zack

Last edited:

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have answered your own question. Fake Gucci? Probably trying to take you for some sweet corals. There was someone in FL posting WWC pics falsely stating that these were their corals. Don't do it.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea for some reason that picture looks VERY familiar! idk xmjxflipx said it perfectly if in doubt DONT TRADE!

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I recognize the photo. A member of R2R sent me the photo just a couple of days ago asking if it was my photo, it is not. Anyhow, the person contacting me was very skeptical about the seller as well. The seller ended up admitting that it was not his photo. Anyhow, I hope that someone trys to stop the seller before he has a chance to rip people off or in this case possibly rip more people off......

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That was me that sent that picture.
It was sent to me by a guy who ( was previously registered and had approx 20 posts) was over at reeffrontiers.com.
He and I sent several emails back and forth about that very frag.
I thought it looked very similar to reefpets pictures so I asked.
I have no reason to suspect any wrong doing by this guy, but I did ask for extra pictures, different views etc. but the camera was not working.

Actually I think he did say it was his picture, but he posted a bunch of other pictures with offers to sell ( in a picture thread) and then admitted some of those pictures weren't his.

I can reply to his email address he gave me to see if he has any new pictures.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I did also seem to me a little strange. Usually if you are selling stuff that high end, I think even a cheap phone camera could send off requested pictures.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping that you would chime in and see the photo. I did not want to put your screen name on the thread...

OP
OP
Nanofins

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of reporting this to frags.org. If this person is going around trying to rip people off for high-end coral, it would be best to get them banned ASAP.

I asked for more pics, and I just got the response that the kid and friend got a hold of the camera and busted it. Not an unbelievable scenario, but rather convenient, and there is second camera with the hubby on a business trip to Texas. Hmmm.

I don't want to get all down on someone just cause they are new, but..."my spidey sense is tingling."(?)

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it me or it looks like my pic? but flipped in a different way?!?

12-16-08_HornetsB.jpg

a h a ! ! ! found it...

original pic
12-16-08_Hornets.jpg

here's one I crop and flip right using IrfanView... looks similar?
PHstolen.jpg

now, lemme know who this person is and I'll send 'em a nice note...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes that is exactly your pic Marv!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of reporting this to frags.org. If this person is going around trying to rip people off for high-end coral, it would be best to get them banned ASAP.

I asked for more pics, and I just got the response that the kid and friend got a hold of the camera and busted it. Not an unbelievable scenario, but rather convenient, and there is second camera with the hubby on a business trip to Texas. Hmmm.

I don't want to get all down on someone just cause they are new, but..."my spidey sense is tingling."(?)
pls refer them to this post... :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here they are side by side:

Rip Off Pic

9-14-09%20Hornet%20Time.jpg

Marvs Pic:

PHstolen.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang plus they adjusted the saturation of the picture to make it look even more colorful. Shady, very shady!

OP
OP
Nanofins

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Marv, those are obviously not yours...their PH's are much brighter :wink:

Well, mystery solved. I'm reporting them now. Marv, contact me about this person's info, and also about sending me some PH's to verify they are in fact yours.

Zack

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back