QT & getting new fish

TangsRLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm finally settled down after my ick quarantine and losing half of my fish stock and my favorite lieutenant tang (I called him lieutenant Dan) and I'm come to the conclusion that all new fish must be quarantined. First, I want to add some fish to my tank. I currently have left are an ocellaris clownfish, a starry Blenny, pajama cardinal, yellow eye kole, and a surprisingly calm blue velvet damselfish in my 125 gal system. I want to stock smart this time instead of adding in tangs then smaller fish, I want to work my way up with peaceful fish to the more territorial fish. Anyone have suggestions for fish to add that won't pick on my coral?
I'm also looking into some wrasses, if you have a suggestion for a beautiful wrasses that don't need extreme care requirements give me some suggestions.
And with the QT, do I have to add sand to the whole thing for wrasses, or can I have a little tub for it, and will it absorb copper that I might have to dose if necessary?

Thanks

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure all of the fish in your existing tank have been treated for ich if it's ever been present. Even if your fish show zero symptoms your tangs will when you add them. No use in qt'ing new additions and putting them in to a tank where you're practicing ich management.

If you've already done that (and its late so maybe I missed it) I think starting small is a good idea. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby :)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the Forrest Gump reference - and your attitude going forward!

4FordFamily's right about QT - if the fish in your display have been there throughout, the only safe assumption (and quite likely the truth) is that there's ich in your display as I write this, and that it will take the opportunity to strike any new fish you add.

When it comes to wrasses, most of the fairy wrasses and pretty much any flasher wrasses are going to be brightly colorful, generally peaceful - and will sleep in a mucous cocoon in your rockwork (or a PVC fitting in QT!), with no sand required.

A group of dartfish would be another option - though the smaller firefish generally prefer to live alone or in a mated pair, others, like zebra or scissortail darts, or the blue gudgeon dartfish will hang out in a loose group - often just below the surface.

Some of the anthias might work for you as well, though most of them do want to eat pretty frequently.

~Bruce, who also learned to quarantine the hard way . . .

OP
OP
TangsRLife

TangsRLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah once my fish came down with ick, I took them all out for 2 months and the display was fallow for that time aswell. I treated them with copper for half of that time so I think there's a good chance I killed the ick. That's nice to know about the wrasses, I thought I was gonna have to pick up some sand. With Mathias, can you get a bunch of them or do they like to be alone?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Mathias, can you get a bunch of them or do they like to be alone?

Anthias?

They generally do well in groups, from what I've read, though the dominant ones can sometimes bully more submissive ones. They've got a pretty rigid social structure, which is enforced by dominance displays and sometimes bullying. (Some species more than others.) I have a pair of Bartlett's in QT, but would love to add three more females to the group. Some species can get along alone, as well.

~Bruce

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't understand why folks don't QT fish. It's really quite simple, and saves headaches and $$$. I've been OCD about QT for over a decade and have had far more long term sucess since than I did prior.

As noted only the leopard and haliocheries (to lazy to look up spelling) wrasses need sand.

Anthias are awesome, but they need space, multiple daily feedings in most cases, and will pick each other off.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back