QT ing a Jawfish

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope to be getting a Blue Dot Jawfish soon. My plan is to do TTM with Prazi TX then observe. Will they be OK without any sand or better with a small dish of it? If the need to treat should arise , do they tolerate Cuprimine OK?

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did TTM with my Leopard wrasse, put a 6x6x4 tupperware with some dry sand and just used a different container and new sand for each tank transfer.

Took em a couple days but they caught on and had no issues. I did pre-rinse the sand before I used it so it didn't cloud up the tanks.

Dreadnaught

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bowl of sand in QT for Jawfish which just went into DT. He removed the sand from the bowl and filled a PVC pipe to make a borrow. I was QTing some Sand sleeping wrasse as well so I ended up adding about 1" of sand to the 1/2 OC the bottom of a 20G QT. It seemed to keep everyone happy for the 6 weeks.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did TTM with my Leopard wrasse, put a 6x6x4 tupperware with some dry sand and just used a different container and new sand for each tank transfer.

Took em a couple days but they caught on and had no issues. I did pre-rinse the sand before I used it so it didn't cloud up the tanks.

I did this with a Potter's wrasse and I'm halfway through TTM with an Ear Muff Wrasse. The only problem is if they get their times out of synch with yours. It was time for the first transfer and he was still asleep in the stand. I had to gently remove him and place him a small container of tank water to rinse him off before transferring him to the next tank. He handled it well.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good tips

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use sand, use really coarse sand. Coral rubble is good.

OP
OP
seaplane

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Jawfish arrived today. Put him in the QT at 7pm, by 9 he had already gotten a good start on building his burrow in his dish of sand. Thanks to all for the info and tips.. So much fun getting a new "baby", especially one you've wanted for a long time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back