OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be optimal. Consider formalin your backup plan.

Affirmative.

In other news, I woke up this morning with a terrible thought and mild panic attack. In clearing the tank for going fallow, it has totally slipped my mind to check my overflows and sump for fish stragglers. On 2 occasions in the past, I have found small fish chilling inside my 2 Theiling Rollermat boxes that are fed directly from the overflows; so they went over the weirs and swam around in the overflow until they made it to the drain pipe, and it's possible one slipped into the sump before I installed the Rollermats. My overflow boxes are a foot wide and 3 foot deep, so they could definitely house a fish for a good while. I'm not looking forward to trying to find a way to get up there to look into the overflows; I have no access to the back of the tank, the side's are a pain to get to, so I'll try filming with my smartphone to see if I can get clear enough footage to get a definitive answer.

And my sump will be a nightmare as well to fully access; unfortunately I don't have any place for a fish room to fully spread out my equipment for easier maintenance and access, so I'm going to have to remove a lot of equipment in and over the sump as well as live rock to make sure I don't have any stragglers. The sump is 6'x3' and ~150 gallons with a lot of nooks and crannies, so it's possible to have a small resident down there somewhere.

THIS is why everyone should quarantine from the start; if you wait and have to do what I'm doing, there's WAY too much going on and you can make small oversights that could be devastating!!

I'll keep everyone posted, hopefully with a false alarm:eek:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would hyposalinity at 15 ppt for 5 days be an alternative to deal with Turbellaria? Taking care to slowly ramp salinity down and back up again over several days.

Possibly; I've never tested hypo on turbellarians before. But since 15 ppt for 5 days will eliminate Monogeneans, the same approach should work for turbellarians.

Excellent suggestion! :)

@Jeffdstafford Wanna try hypo if prazi doesn't get the job done?

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually watching some videos by Lance Ichinotsubo a few nights ago talking about their use of hyposalinity in quarantine; I was thinking about doing it after Prazi just for good measure; if my current fish can handle close to 3ppm of copper..surely they could handle hypo like champs!

He was saying their SG target was 1.010 which is somewhere around 13ppt, but if I remember correctly he said the effective range was 1.010-1.015. Like everything else, I'll start reading up on it and give it a shot!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually watching some videos by Lance Ichinotsubo a few nights ago talking about their use of hyposalinity in quarantine; I was thinking about doing it after Prazi just for good measure; if my current fish can handle close to 3ppm of copper..surely they could handle hypo like champs!

He was saying their SG target was 1.010 which is somewhere around 13ppt, but if I remember correctly he said the effective range was 1.010-1.015. Like everything else, I'll start reading up on it and give it a shot!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hyposalinity.247596/

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly; I've never tested hypo on turbellarians before. But since 15 ppt for 5 days will eliminate Monogeneans, the same approach should work for turbellarians.

Excellent suggestion! :)

@Jeffdstafford Wanna try hypo if prazi doesn't get the job done?
When I had an outbreak of turbellarians my fish were already in hypo at 1.009 so at least in my case it didn't help at all.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid info on black ich (turbellarians) is hard to come by, which just means I need to do more digging. :D

But this website doesn't list hyposalinity as a possible treatment option, just FW dips o_O: http://www.seascapestudio.net/reference/disease.php?id=turbellarian_infestation

If we do a fresh water dip or hypo, we CAN'T SEE the worms fall off like we can with flukes....is that correct? And those little black dots are blood just under the upper layer of skin..? Correct me, please. Thanks.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the visable black dot is the actual larvae, correct? I can see them protruding from the fish's body when looking from top down, so that's my assumption

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read somewhere that it was blood?? I must be thinking of something else. I wish there was more info the turbellarian worm. Pictures would be nice too. Research, research, research. There's just not enough hours in a day.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we do a fresh water dip or hypo, we CAN'T SEE the worms fall off like we can with flukes....is that correct? And those little black dots are blood just under the upper layer of skin..? Correct me, please. Thanks.

The little black dots are the larvae feeding on the blood of their host. A 5 min FW dip usually causes most of them to detach, but a few always manage to hang on IME. This is where Prazipro or formalin comes in, to finish the little buggers off.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they just fall off. That's why you have to do a water change or do it in a dip/bath.

They're bloodsuckers. And I believe they crawl. Weird.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Prazi actually kill them, or just cause them to fall off?
It does both, which is why Prazipro can be used in a DT (if you don't have worms/feather dusters). It will cause them to fall off rather quickly and they die after several hours of exposure.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does both, which is why Prazipro can be used in a DT (if you don't have worms/feather dusters). It will cause them to fall off rather quickly and they die after several hours of exposure.

+1 The ones that fall off during a FW dip basically explode due to osmotic shock. :D

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little black dots are the larvae feeding on the blood of their host. A 5 min FW dip usually causes most of them to detach, but a few always manage to hang on IME. This is where Prazipro or formalin comes in, to finish the little buggers off.

Can we see the little black dots on the bottom of a white bucket during a dip?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back