Quarantine 40-50 fish from existing 500 gallon reef

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ I agree; remove all the copper from the water and see what happens. Monitor your fish very closely.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the input; so this is the first time I've heard of lympho and just did some quick reading on it..definitely seems like that could be what the Naso had.

So here's what I'm wondering:

1. Can lympho kill a fish that's only showing a few spots? Not sure if there's more going on with the parasite than what's visible on the skin. It was still alive early yesterday but only breathing and weakly moving it's side fins, otherwise it never moved it's body and eventually died.

2. Can you/how do you treat it?

3. Is it contagious?

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind; I didn't dig deep enough..found most of those answers. Sounds like it's the equivalent to the human common cold; so I'm guessing the Naso must have gone downhill from the copper, and the lympho was just an after effect of the stressed and weakened fish

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff, where in west Texas are you? I'm in Abilene.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I'm in Odessa..not too far from you. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, message me and come check out the system.

We are going to move to a different house in town in a few months and this home has a climate controlled storage room that is begging to become a fish room, so I'll be able to have a much better layout for my equipment. Cannot wait!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely will! Yes, a fish room is in my dreams as well. Only wish we had basements here in West Texas! Keep up the great work! I have a 300g so I can only imagine the work you have put in this far.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man a basement would make for a sweet setup, but yea, around here they are about as common as unicorns.

I've got some fairly large SPS colonies in my system that could probably use some trimming; so if you do make it over I can send you home with some good frags. I'm also going to be selling a fat and happy Peppermint Hogfish and Convict Tang (that have been well quarantined!) because of some aggression issues with my other fish, so if you're interested in those, they're available too.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running carbon for a few days in a filter sock and the return pump output flowing into the sock, but hasn't affected the copper level yet. I'm assuming the water is just flowing around the carbon in the sock, so I hooked up an old avast reactor last night and doubled the carbon inside, so hopefully this setup will filter the copper out of the water soon. If not, I'll do another 100 gallon water change this weekend to reduce it.

In other news that makes me glad I did this quarantine when I did; we just went under contract on a new home (Which already has a climate controlled storage room outside, right next to the exterior wall the tank will sit by, FINALLY a fish room!!). We plan on closing middle of April, and my fallow period will expire a couple weeks before that, so this will work out perfect. I'll already have a temporary housing for the livestock setup, so I can move the tank and all equipment without having to stress about keeping the livestock alive, and I won't have to go through the stress of catching all the fish again out of the display, just scoop out of the QT when the tank is back up and running.
*And I'll be starting up at the new place with an Ich free tank! I'll also have room for a coral quarantine setup at the new house, so everything will go through quarantine before going in the display.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running carbon for a few days in a filter sock and the return pump output flowing into the sock, but hasn't affected the copper level yet. I'm assuming the water is just flowing around the carbon in the sock, so I hooked up an old avast reactor last night and doubled the carbon inside, so hopefully this setup will filter the copper out of the water soon. If not, I'll do another 100 gallon water change this weekend to reduce it.

In other news that makes me glad I did this quarantine when I did; we just went under contract on a new home (Which already has a climate controlled storage room outside, right next to the exterior wall the tank will sit by, FINALLY a fish room!!). We plan on closing middle of April, and my fallow period will expire a couple weeks before that, so this will work out perfect. I'll already have a temporary housing for the livestock setup, so I can move the tank and all equipment without having to stress about keeping the livestock alive, and I won't have to go through the stress of catching all the fish again out of the display, just scoop out of the QT when the tank is back up and running.
*And I'll be starting up at the new place with an Ich free tank! I'll also have room for a coral quarantine setup at the new house, so everything will go through quarantine before going in the display.
That is fantastic! It's amazing how things always seem to work out in the end for people who go out of their way to do the right thing.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Brew12 ! I'm ecstatic about the getting to spread out all my equipment in a dedicated room, so I can properly access and maintain it with ease. I'll keep you all updated on that, but I plan on starting Prazipro as soon as I get the copper out of the system. It's so great looking at my fish and not seeing ich for the first time ever! My pyramid butterflies always had a spot or two on their faces..pretty awesome no longer seeing them suffer with that annoyance!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Brew12 ! I'm ecstatic about the getting to spread out all my equipment in a dedicated room, so I can properly access and maintain it with ease. I'll keep you all updated on that, but I plan on starting Prazipro as soon as I get the copper out of the system. It's so great looking at my fish and not seeing ich for the first time ever! My pyramid butterflies always had a spot or two on their faces..pretty awesome no longer seeing them suffer with that annoyance!
When you get a build thread going for your new system started make sure you link it in here. I will definitely be following along!

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was gone for the weekend and got home last night to another dead wrasse; so I'm down to 1 lone wrasse survivor, but everyone else is still doing great, without any signs of lympho. I did a large water change a week ago and have been running a lot of carbon through a reactor, but my levels haven't come down after a week of copper usage. I did another 100 gallon water change last night, and have some Cuprasorb arriving today from amazon, so I'll throw that in the reactor and hopefully it will take the remaining copper out.

Is that unusual for carbon to not remove the coppersafe? I just dumped a bunch in so not sure how much was in there, but it was a copious amount, more than enough for 200 gallons of water.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was gone for the weekend and got home last night to another dead wrasse; so I'm down to 1 lone wrasse survivor, but everyone else is still doing great, without any signs of lympho. I did a large water change a week ago and have been running a lot of carbon through a reactor, but my levels haven't come down after a week of copper usage. I did another 100 gallon water change last night, and have some Cuprasorb arriving today from amazon, so I'll throw that in the reactor and hopefully it will take the remaining copper out.

Is that unusual for carbon to not remove the coppersafe? I just dumped a bunch in so not sure how much was in there, but it was a copious amount, more than enough for 200 gallons of water.
Activated carbon will only remove copper that has been bound to other impurities in the water so it is a very slow process. You should get much better results with the Cuprasorb.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Activated carbon will only remove copper that has been bound to other impurities in the water so it is a very slow process. You should get much better results with the Cuprasorb.
+1, using carbon is a very slow process for copper removal. I've used the .5L cuprisorb in a reactor for 300g qt systems with multiple poly filter pads where they will have water forced through them in main drain area with much higher effectiveness/better efficiency.

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotcha, I may put in an order for some of those pads as well if the cuprasorb doesn't work quickly enough..the salt required for these 100 gallon water changes is getting expensive. Once I get the copper out I'll move on to PraziPro and hope after all this that my remaining fish are squeaky clean!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back