Quarantine tank question

The new fish on the block

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I'm having to setup a quick quarantine tank and I am wondering if I can put the fish in yet? I have put half water from my tank /half new water and put in API Stress Zyme + in. I have also put in some filter floss from my tank. Thanks and happy reefing

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but get yourself an ammonia alert badge along with an ammonia reducer like seachem prime. Have additional water made up constantly in case of an emergency and you need to do a quick water change. If you're doing tank transfer, ammonia tends not to be that big of an issue. What disease are you treating for and what type of treatment are you implementing?

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but get yourself an ammonia alert badge along with an ammonia reducer like seachem prime. Have additional water made up constantly in case of an emergency and you need to do a quick water change. If you're doing tank transfer, ammonia tends not to be that big of an issue. What disease are you treating for and what type of treatment are you implementing?
Im treating for brook with metroplex

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im treating for brook with metroplex

Yes, you can put the fish in now, but get the ammonia badge like cment said. You'll need to be ready to do water changes if ammonia pops up... and it probably will. It's also worth noting that an acriflavin bath is best before they go into QT. If you can get a hold of Ruby Reef Rally that will work as a dip beforehand.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can put the fish in now, but get the ammonia badge like cment said. You'll need to be ready to do water changes if ammonia pops up... and it probably will. It's also worth noting that an acriflavin bath is best before they go into QT. If you can get a hold of Ruby Reef Rally that will work as a dip beforehand.
does metro plex have have acriflavin in it will metro work?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does metro plex have have acriflavin in it will metro work?

No it doesn't. But metro will work to treat brook. I find I have better success if I do the dip first, then transfer them to a clean/sterile QT and treat with metroplex. You can use formalin or even just a freshwater dip if you can't get either of the other two. Acriflavin is the #1 choice though.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will metro still be effective if i dont do the dip?

It should be yes. Doing a dip before hand can buy you time for the metroplex to start working though. Without at least the freshwater dip (which can and will provide temporary relief) some fish may be lost before the metroplex has a chance to start working. The acriflavin has an anticeptic property to it which helps prevent infection during treatment. The freshwater dip/formalin dip will provide relief by removing some of the brook before putting them into the QT with the metro. You don't have to do this, but it's best to try one of them for best results. Good luck.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be yes. Doing a dip before hand can buy you time for the metroplex to start working though. Without at least the freshwater dip (which can and will provide temporary relief) some fish may be lost before the metroplex has a chance to start working. The acriflavin has an anticeptic property to it which helps prevent infection during treatment. The freshwater dip/formalin dip will provide relief by removing some of the brook before putting them into the QT with the metro. You don't have to do this, but it's best to try one of them for best results. Good luck.
Ok. thank you

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question my quarantine is 10 gallons and I have 2 clowns ,2 clown gobies,3 damsels and a pj cardinal will it hold them all for a month and a half?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question my quarantine is 10 gallons and I have 2 clowns ,2 clown gobies,3 damsels and a pj cardinal will it hold them all for a month and a half?

It would be better in a 20 gallon I think. You might get away with it if you have a large filter on the tank and there's no aggression between them.

Back