Question about Ich

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined a group on FB yes I know a mistake lol. Girl didn't QT her fish now the whole tank has Ich . She didn't have any copper nothing in the tank it would kill Fish only tank. Their was a guy that told her he was a saltwater fish farmer and to use hydrogen peroxide, Will this work really?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined a group on FB yes I know a mistake lol. Girl didn't QT her fish now the whole tank has Ich . She didn't have any copper nothing in the tank it would kill Fish only tank. Their was a guy that told her he was a saltwater fish farmer and to use hydrogen peroxide, Will this work really?

Not likely and in the hands of a novice would likely be mishandled and kill her fish. Poor girl. :( Send her here!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you this is what I thougt to, some of the people give some really crazy answers. It's sad really
Using H2O2 may not be as crazy as it sounds, but it was really bad advice imo. There is testing currently being done on using it to cure Velvet and Ich. It has shown promise doing 2 x 30min dips in a 75ppm H2O2 solution a few days apart.
This is not something I would recommend to a new hobbyist. Anything over 150ppm puts the fish at risk of fatality and at 300ppm fish deaths during testing were 100%. They would really need to know what they are doing to pull this off successfully, and even then, not enough testing has been done to prove this as a cure. Right now it falls into the "has promise" category.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with H2O2 is it doesn't remain active in the water for very long. So ich theronts & velvet dinospores will slip through the cracks in-between dosages. However, being H2O2 is an antiseptic it has great potential to become a practical alternative to using acriflavine for temporary relief of velvet and for providing "first aid" to fish with bacterial infections. I plan on doing extensive testing with it once my "lab" is up & running at the new house. :)

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with H2O2 is it doesn't remain active in the water for very long. So ich theronts & velvet dinospores will slip through the cracks in-between dosages. However, being H2O2 is an antiseptic it has great potential to become a practical alternative to using acriflavine for temporary relief of velvet and for providing "first aid" to fish with bacterial infections. I plan on doing extensive testing with it once my "lab" is up & running at the new house. :)
Interesting, I may try a small experiment at home stop by a couple fish stores see if I can find a sick fish talk them down in price , and give it a try. I have kept fish and some corals for many many years ( Oh Dang I am getting Old LOL ) I have 2 QT tanks I think I will give it a try. I have always had good luck with copper but is might be interesting just to see how it goes. I almost have to stay off FB now people really do some dumb thing to fish, I feel sorry for some of the people and advice I see, kind of stressful lol Thanks I will wait on your results too

Last edited by a moderator:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try a small experiment at home stop by a couple fish stores see if I can find a sick fish
Do you expect this to be a challenge?:rolleyes: I have 3 LFS within 45 minutes of me and at least 2 of the 3 have velvet right now! :confused:

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I chatted with the girl and looked at this guy's post and thought I would just ask, to me it's interesting, Decater is a little far for me today but I got to go in to Atlanta and I know where they usually
Do you expect this to be a challenge?:rolleyes: I have 3 LFS within 45 minutes of me and at least 2 of the 3 have velvet right now! :confused:

Well I chatted with this girl last night and read a lot on this and I am off to Atlanta soon so yeah I may just give it a try. Decater is a little far for me to go today though. I am all about new ways and new treatments and things.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I chatted with the girl and looked at this guy's post and thought I would just ask, to me it's interesting, Decater is a little far for me today but I got to go in to Atlanta and I know where they usually

Well I chatted with this girl last night and read a lot on this and I am off to Atlanta soon so yeah I may just give it a try. Decater is a little far for me to go today though. I am all about new ways and new treatments and things.
Just ask whatever store near you if they run low levels of copper in their systems. If they do, you can almost be guaranteed that their fish have either ich, velvet, or both. The low levels of copper just mask the symptoms while they are on display.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a fish with velvet, most Petcos can accommodate that request. :p

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a fish with velvet, most Petcos can accommodate that request. :p
Not mine! The tanks are currently empty and they have stopped selling marine fish. umm.. because of velvet... :p

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went to Atlanta with good intentions but didn't have time just got home but soon I am going to try this, I have 2 shops in town most of their stuff is ok, so on my next trip to Atlanta I know were to go I think, I want to find one covered in Ich

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 11.1%
Back