Question about tropic Marin bio actif

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone using the salt.. It's unclear from what I'm reading anywhere. Does using this salt start to replace the need for carbon dosing, or does it just work in conjunction with carbon dosing?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone using the salt.. It's unclear from what I'm reading anywhere. Does using this salt start to replace the need for carbon dosing, or does it just work in conjunction with carbon dosing?
Oh, I got this one.
I used it and thought it was the best salt ever.
Then I made the mistake of doing a 50% water change over two days. Carbon overdose BIG TIME.
Took me 3 months of heartbreak to ride out bacteria bloom damage :(.

Lesson learned: Carbon dose with other means than a salt mix.
JMO...

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I got this one.
I used it and thought it was the best salt ever.
Then I made the mistake of doing a 50% water change over two days. Carbon overdose BIG TIME.
Took me 3 months of heartbreak to ride out bacteria bloom damage :(.

Lesson learned: Carbon dose with other means than a salt mix.
JMO...
Ok that makes sense. I ordered a bucket, but I'm currently dosing. I plan on doing 10% water changes weekly as I change it out so knowing that going in I can back off the vodka as necessary. I might end up cocktailing it with standard as well. I'm getting tired of manually dosing 2x a day.

What are generally the parameters in a newly mixed bucket?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that makes sense. I ordered a bucket, but I'm currently dosing. I plan on doing 10% water changes weekly as I change it out so knowing that going in I can back off the vodka as necessary. I might end up cocktailing it with standard as well. I'm getting tired of manually dosing 2x a day.

It is really nice salt.
If you stay within 10% you will be fine.
I wish I had used the TMPR for that 50% water change.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are you using to carbon dose?

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka 1.8 ml 2x a day. I'm using pro reef but I'm really struggling with ph. The more I read it's formulated for kalk and ca reactors so I thought I'd stay within the brand and kill 2 birds.

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to carbon dose?

Never Mind... Vodka

Have you ever tried Red Sea NOPOX?

I don't get too caught up in supplements. I don't feel I need them, and I can buy a lot of 5oclock for the cost of sups. ..and once and awhile .. Again The whole 2 birds scenario. Lol

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get too caught up in supplements. I don't feel I need them, and I can buy a lot of 5oclock for the cost of sups. ..and once and awhile .. Again The whole 2 birds scenario. Lol
NOPOX is a controled form of carbon dosing not a supplement.

There's also Aquaforest Probiotic salt but I haven't used it.

When you use the TMbioactiff you must pour it in ASAP after mixing or it will break drown and you could lose the carbon benefit.
Don't mix and store it.

Good Luck with 2 birds with one stone :)

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOPOX is a controled form of carbon dosing not a supplement.

There's also Aquaforest Probiotic salt but I haven't used it.

When you use the TMbioactiff you must pour it in ASAP after mixing or it will break drown and you could lose the carbon benefit.
Don't mix and store it.

Good Luck with 2 birds with one stone :)
yep I just meant I utilize basic stuff without the fancy name attached as much as possible. Pretty much accross the board.
I did read that on their site. I store Ro, not mixed anyway so no big deal. Thanks for the heads up!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka 1.8 ml 2x a day. I'm using pro reef but I'm really struggling with ph. The more I read it's formulated for kalk and ca reactors so I thought I'd stay within the brand and kill 2 birds.
The best thing for PH is opening the windows and getting fresh air in.
Carbon Dioxide trapped in our homes is the PH killer.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you had the bloom what were your nitrates/phosphates?
I don't know. I hadn't checked them for awhile. My tank had a really low fish bio load (As always) and no signs of algae or cyano.
Plus I run a GFO reactor and Modified out Purigen reactor to help phos and nitrates.
Normally my Phos is around .04ppm and Nitrates between 2-3 ppm.

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I hadn't checked them for awhile. My tank had a really low fish bio load (As always) and no signs of algae or cyano.
Plus I run a GFO reactor and Modified out Purigen reactor to help phos and nitrates.
Normally my Phos is around .04ppm and Nitrates between 2-3 ppm.
Im surprised. That's pretty low for a bloom with a water change. That's what worries me not knowing how much is in the salt. I have a heavy load and a really beefy filtration. Having to remember to go downstairs to carbon dose 2x a day kinda stinks. So I figured the salt could help out. I'm not worried about a bloom, but I do wish I knew what was in the salt exactly. I'm going to email Hans.

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to update this for any future readers. I've finished my first bucket now. I've found noticeable difference with overall coral growth and health by switching. Alk is slightly higher at 8.0. No big deal. All other parameters have tested the same, .. referring to bio actif vs pro reef. It takes about 5 minutes more to mix clear, and the water isn't quite as clear as it was with pro reef. In the bucket or the DT. No one else would notice this, but I can tell. Pro reef was HD crystal clear. As for the carbon dosing, my daily vodka dosing is identical as before, and my nitrates have stayed exactly the same. I'm not sure why, as it appears to me there is no carbon dosing chemicals in the mix, otherwise I'd have to lower my daily vodka dosing. But whatever it is in there the corals are liking it, so I ordered a second bucket. I may end up cocktailing the two salts together.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols : I'm sorry that you had that issue with Tropic Marin Bio Activ System salt, but I have to say that I know a lot of tanks that have been started with 100% Bio Activ System and have not had that issue. I'm not saying that is was not related to the 50% water change. Just that there must have been other influencing factors that caused the bloom and issue you had. Maybe phosphate and nitrate levels. Or maybe there was something else going on at the same time, and the 50% water change brought it all to the surface.

@Scott.h : In relation to the organic compounds in the Bio Activ salt mix, the issue with holding the salt solution after it is mixed is more in relation to the bio polymers forming bonds and long "chains" that manifest as slimy blobs floating around in the water, rather than the bacterial consumption of those compounds. This tends to happen if the solution is held more than 36 hours or so. Both our Classic salt mix and out Pro Reef salt mix can be held indefinitely, once mixed, as long as they are well shielded from light and well circulated during holding.
Also, the natural marine polymers that are included in Bio Activ System Salt will augment the carbon dosing you are doing. It is not "exactly" the same thing. If you would like to get even better results, I suggest trying Tropic Marin ELIMI-NP or Tropic Marin NP BACTO-BALANCE in conjunction with your Bio Activ System Salt. They will work very well together and you may notice a difference from standard vodka dosing. If you have questions about this, please call me in the office at 413-367-0101.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols : I'm sorry that you had that issue with Tropic Marin Bio Activ System salt, but I have to say that I know a lot of tanks that have been started with 100% Bio Activ System and have not had that issue. I'm not saying that is was not related to the 50% water change. Just that there must have been other influencing factors that caused the bloom and issue you had. Maybe phosphate and nitrate levels. Or maybe there was something else going on at the same time, and the 50% water change brought it all to the surface.
Lou,
You make a great point:
I could have had an under lying issue and the carbon source within the TM Bio Actif salt mix, could have brought it to ahead, with the 50% water change.

Freddie

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused. will this salt lower my nutrients because of its carbon dosing elements? or do I have to carbon dose along with the salt to lower nutrients. In general I don't want to lower my nutrients.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back