Question and Answer with Brett from the TV Show TANKED

Michelle Lemech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is that this is a Q&A thread. Not a feedback thread. The guys who star in the show are NOT the producers and have little to do with what the producers feel is good tv and or what they chose to show and what they don't. If you want to give constructive criticism send a letter to the producers or Animal planet. Don't do it here. Thats just disrespectful.

I don't see how anything that I posted was disrespectful. I merely responded to other's posts, one of which criticized someone who made some very valid points in my opinion. I have spent time in LA. I am well aware that the ATM guys aren't the ones producing the show and have already wrote to the producers/Nancy Glass/ Animal Planet. Perhaps this is not the community I thought it was.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am loving this show thus far. I find it highly entertaining, and can't wait to see what other amazing systems that they will create. Personally, I am happy that they do not get into the technical side of things. I watch the show to be entertained, not to study lol. I understand why some people may not be happy with the show, but they have to remember that this is entertainment. The only thing that matters to Animal Planet or any other television channel is ratings. Many people watching the show have no interest in setting up an aquarium. I love watching American Choppers, but I have no interest in the tech side of the bikes and will never purchase one. I like watching it for the entertainment value and the creative builds. Many people are only watching Tanked for the entertainment and cool builds.

Thanks,

Sonny

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, all I'm saying is throw in a quick 20 second blurb about why the systems work when it's done that way. It could be done during the time wasted on putting stupid stuff in there like "which fish has no stomach" - I mean who cares about freshwater fish when all they have shown so far is marine tanks. It's totally contradictory to say how well they want to treat the fish, but, then do what appears to be just the opposite. Maybe the users who responded negatively to my post would have been happier if I would have gone the kiss *** route and asked "can you PUHLEASE ask them about their filtration system." Whatever.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, all I'm saying is throw in a quick 20 second blurb about why the systems work when it's done that way. It could be done during the time wasted on putting stupid stuff in there like "which fish has no stomach" - I mean who cares about freshwater fish when all they have shown so far is marine tanks. It's totally contradictory to say how well they want to treat the fish, but, then do what appears to be just the opposite. Maybe the users who responded negatively to my post would have been happier if I would have gone the kiss *** route and asked "can you PUHLEASE ask them about their filtration system." Whatever.

It's still amazing to me how childish people are. Sunny had a post an hour before you posted and said it best. It's entertainment!! We both know it would take a lot longer than 20 seconds to explain the way the systems work and how to balance things....i mean thats the reason we are here to continue to learn and get better at this hobby. The general public and audeince ATM is going after is less informed about owning a tank. Heck we tend to be more informed than our LFS employees!!! Furthermore, their clientele doesn't care either. Considering the ridiculous displays these guys create...it's amazing to me people complain about watching it. Guess what Dont kiss anything and DONT WATCH!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Again, we are all adults and I don't want to go deleting post and warning people. No one has crossed the line but it is getting close. Please let's discuss the subject at hand not each other. :) Thanks.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked tonight's episode. The barrel-shaped tank was so cool - I wish they would have spent more time on how they joined those seams together once they had a few melted pieces shaped and cooled. There was obviously some type of cutting made prior to bonding, that's what I wanted to observe.

The desk/shark tank came out nicely.

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea Barrel tank must have taken some creative work. I cant imagine what something even that small must of cost to have custom made. Even came with a pony keg. If that doesnt bring a tear to your eye....

Zoanthkid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to put it out there... They did explain in the teaser episode what a quarentine system is and why it is used.. so that leads me to believe that these guys are indeed being filmed, at least sometimes, explaining details of how and why things work the way that they do. It's not up to them to decide what 47 minutes out of the 500 hours of film make up each episode. It is OUR OWN responsibility individually to research and learn before committing to any new interest, even more so when a pet is involved. Just bc u happen to turn on the tv and see a race car driver doing 220 mph, does that make it a responsible decision to get in your car and do the same? No. same goes here. It is a given that these guys are professionals in their field and if they didn't do things right they would not be at the level they are at. It is up to each of us to find the right info and tools in the hobby as beginners. There are always going to be people who see things on tv and don't realise they can't recreate the exact scenarios in their day to day life. And to be completely honest about it... Even as a reefer I probly wouldn't watch the show if it was more technical. I have to think about perams and all that enough on my own, sometimes its nice to just get to enjoy the beauty of someone else's work without having to see everything that went into it...

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have that channel on my TV and have never seen an episode :( but from what I've seen on previews from other channels,they build some awesome displays....what I think is,it's a fantasy show about awesome tank builds,and by fantasy,I mean most of us will never have or be able to afford anything like they build..... from my point of view,and having built my own tank,I would rather see more emphasis on how they build these awesome tanks...proper husbandry for my tank is my responsibility

Last edited:

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent post son I agree its tv not a documentary on reef keeping.

Big Steve

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to put it out there... They did explain in the teaser episode what a quarentine system is and why it is used.. so that leads me to believe that these guys are indeed being filmed, at least sometimes, explaining details of how and why things work the way that they do. It's not up to them to decide what 47 minutes out of the 500 hours of film make up each episode. It is OUR OWN responsibility individually to research and learn before committing to any new interest, even more so when a pet is involved. Just bc u happen to turn on the tv and see a race car driver doing 220 mph, does that make it a responsible decision to get in your car and do the same? No. same goes here. It is a given that these guys are professionals in their field and if they didn't do things right they would not be at the level they are at. It is up to each of us to find the right info and tools in the hobby as beginners. There are always going to be people who see things on tv and don't realise they can't recreate the exact scenarios in their day to day life. And to be completely honest about it... Even as a reefer I probly wouldn't watch the show if it was more technical. I have to think about perams and all that enough on my own, sometimes its nice to just get to enjoy the beauty of someone else's work without having to see everything that went into it...

well said :D

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the show myself!
Once you understand this is an entertainment show and people who buy tanks after research responsibly. Personally I've been working at fish stores the past 3 years and have denied sales to people due to lack of knowledge in the hobby. From LFS to PetCo none of them told me I had to sale the person a fish. I have ALWAYS been backed. I am kind and informative when it comes to denying a sale though, like ALL people in the hobby who sale livestock should.

truebeliever71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the show... just wish they would either bizz out more of the language or get rid of it all together. It's not needed and even through my small boys like watching it I won't let them because of it.

On another note... what kind of clear coat are they using on the props?

lerchcon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a simple question, since we are giving them so much attention on every site dealing with fish, and reef, are they willing to do anything for us, or is this just a one sided street. Meaning if i wanted to make a custom tank, and wanted them to build it, are they a vendor here yet with discounts? I cant find them but I am blind as well :). Because if not, I am so over talking about a company or a show that is great, but it is business. I have local vendors and people here who support us as a whole.

Maybe it is just that we are all blinded by the fact that ATM took the time to give us answers in a hobby that has cought all our eyes. If you have people in Vegas just go to there store, I met Brett he is great, so I am sure with a forum of this size, he would do a Youtube interview. Just an idea. But I am sorry if this makes anyone upset, not my intentions, but what makes them famous....fans right? The hollywood actors give back to the community, in reality this show gets paid to build the tanks for Animal planet, what have they themselves, without animal planet, given back, besides being able to answer our questions of course and even then we have a moderator answering questions that were asked, are they already to BIG to answer themselves? KARMA is great, if they give back now and the show doesnt make it, what do they have in the end.......US.....and of course all the people who talked about them, and the people they took care of right. Lets not loose touch with the reality of what makes a great business great. Business we can all afford. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

lionfish1951

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for Brett from Tanks

Brett, My family has been doing this on a much smaller scale than your show over forty years. Did you buy American Acrylic? since we never heard of your company till a customer saw the show. Also do you use tap water? I never see Aquariums a month later on show as you use a lot of fish that don't thrive in captivity or are not comaptable.
ERI is not a company we like and I have know Justin before he went there. They have over four owners in past years. Remember the Biggest is not always the best!, Thanks
Rick

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tanks REV, makes up think how beautiful heaven is ! Amazing what the lord has given us on earth to enjoy until he CALLS US!

Jolene84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the show the ponds are my favorite. I would love to have my turtles a tank built but they can't be in the same tank they fight.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back