question on dosing water change water

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Jordan NY (in-between Rochester and Syracuse)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a water change about every 2 weeks. Usually, I add salt about 2 weeks before I go to use it.

today i tested my pre-mix and th following stood out

ReefCrystals Mix
35ppt
KH 8
Ca 400
mg 1150
PH 8

From the charts i have seen ReefCrystals should have Mg and Ca higher, which wasn't too concerning - but the KH? 4 dKH low?

questions:

I added all the dosing at once - how long should it take for the PH to drop (using recipe #2)?
Is the drop in Dkh due to the water mixing for 2 weeks?
should I mix water 2 days before use instead of 2 weeks?

thanks!

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that does not sound right for the new RC at 35ppm, check your refactometer, I just mixed up a batch and as usual it was 520Ca 1400Mg and 13 Alk and it was mixed last weekend and added yesterday. You donot need to let it sit/mix for more then 24hrs at the most. Here is a calculator for your Alk. Donot worry about the PH, test that after the water change, there is 2 different #2 recipes 1 will lower PH and the other will raise it.
Reef Chemistry Calculator

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHat is your tank Alk/? If close to 8 I would go with it and then adjust the Alk of the tank water after the change accordingly.

lazyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had low numbers of 360, 1050, and 8 out of a recent bag of Reef Crystals. There are four bags in a 200 gallon box and I work out of a single bag at a time. Hadn't really tested the fresh SW before but I'm gonna start doing it regularly. Actually, I'm gonna go buy a bucket of Coralife which supposedly has higher numbers than RC and see how that works out.

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the ratio that was posted here is not correct, different corals use it at a different ratio, and Mg is used far less the the other 2 that is why when you get Mg levels where they belong they stay there with out much if any dosing just with water changes unless the salt you use is very low in Mg.

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 138 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back