Question: What plumbing fittings did we use on the BRS 160?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAQ #27: What plumbing fittings did we use on the BRS 160 reef aquarium?

Alright, let's see your tank's plumbing setup. Post a pic, or link to your build thread below!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't built my manifold for my RSR250 but it will have 4 or 5 Cepex true unions, orange pipe to match my Apex, and will set me back over $200. Off of my return pump I will run a Zeovit reactor, carbon canister, and feed my recirculating skimmer. I will post pictures later.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't built my manifold for my RSR250 but it will have 4 or 5 Cepex true unions, orange pipe to match my Apex, and will set me back over $200. Off of my return pump I will run a Zeovit reactor, carbon canister, and feed my recirculating skimmer. I will post pictures later.

Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about. That sounds awesome!

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like seeing any plumbing or electrical cords in or around my tank; at all.
I mounted my overflow in the center of the tank with the two returns going to either side of the overflow box; away from the ends of the tank.
To minimize any visibility of the plumbing behind the tank, I used black PVC pipe and fittings (actual black pvc; not pvc painted black) to hide the plumbing in the shadows; unfortunately, the unions only come on grey.

jlanger's 120gal Arts and Crafts Inspired Reef Build

I like the looks of the colored pvc plumbing set ups.
But for me, I want the plumbing to be invisible.
But then again, if I had a dedicated fish room... there'd be colored pipe all over the place!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like seeing any plumbing or electrical cords in or around my tank; at all.
I mounted my overflow in the center of the tank with the two returns going to either side of the overflow box; away from the ends of the tank.
To minimize any visibility of the plumbing behind the tank, I used black PVC pipe and fittings (actual black pvc; not pvc painted black) to hide the plumbing in the shadows; unfortunately, the unions only come on grey.

jlanger's 120gal Arts and Crafts Inspired Reef Build

I like the looks of the colored pvc plumbing set ups.
But for me, I want the plumbing to be invisible.
But then again, if I had a dedicated fish room... there'd be colored pipe all over the place!

Nice! I've always been a big fan of your tanks, such great attention to detail! Looks great!

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7014.JPG
IMG_7013.JPG

BRS inspired.

ReeferCub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do a detailed video on assembling of the CO2 scrubber solenoid implementation. I saw the week 52 faq video and wanted to implement the solenoid in my BRS provided Co2 scrubber, but need some hand holding in putting together all the parts to assemble the solenoid unit.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7014.JPG
IMG_7013.JPG

BRS inspired.

Very nice!

Please do a detailed video on assembling of the CO2 scrubber solenoid implementation. I saw the week 52 faq video and wanted to implement the solenoid in my BRS provided Co2 scrubber, but need some hand holding in putting together all the parts to assemble the solenoid unit.

Cool! Have you seen our recent FAQ on the solenoid itself?

ReeferCub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!

Cool! Have you seen our recent FAQ on the solenoid itself?

Thank you. Yes I have seen this video. I am having difficulty getting the correct DIN plug/adapter to use with the solenoid. In the video I see that you have DIY the DIN connector with a power cord. I would like to know the details of this part. What is the part number of the DIN connector? Where to get it from? Basically how did you DIY the whole Solenoid valve, DIN connector, power cord thing.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Yes I have seen this video. I am having difficulty getting the correct DIN plug/adapter to use with the solenoid. In the video I see that you have DIY the DIN connector with a power cord. I would like to know the details of this part. What is the part number of the DIN connector? Where to get it from? Basically how did you DIY the whole Solenoid valve, DIN connector, power cord thing.

I'm not in the office today, but when I get back Tuesday it will be the first thing I check. :)

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, essentially we modified a 3 cord power cable (hot, neutral, and ground) by cutting off the non-powerplug end, and crimping on the 14-16 gauge connectors that fit onto the solenoid onto the hot and neutral leads. The ground was left unconnected. Then we simply taped everything up really good. :)

connector1.png

connector2.png

ReeferCub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, essentially we modified a 3 cord power cable (hot, neutral, and ground) by cutting off the non-powerplug end, and crimping on the 14-16 gauge connectors that fit onto the solenoid onto the hot and neutral leads. The ground was left unconnected. Then we simply taped everything up really good. :)

connector1.png

connector2.png

Thank you for replying. What I understood is you did not use a DIN connector at all. You have directly connected the Solenoid valve to the power cord using these 14-16 gauge connectors. Am I right?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for replying. What I understood is you did not use a DIN connector at all. You have directly connected the Solenoid valve to the power cord using these 14-16 gauge connectors. Am I right?
Its probably a dumb thing to ask. But where did you get these 14-16 gauge connectors that fit onto the solenoid onto the hot and neutral leads?
To answer my own question: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...le/N0214/C0189.oap?page=1&sortBy=1&results=80

Yep exactly :) Those are the connectors we used.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back