Quick Question About Programming AC Powerheads With The APEX 2016

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question about the easiest way to go about this. The preset "powerhead" setting seems to be for DC powerheads, which I do not have. Should I just use the advanced settings with the IF-THEN statement?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The powerhead option is for AC pumps. What you see in the wizard is the GUI for the "OSC" command. What this does is allow you to create waves by having the pumps turn on and off fairly quickly. It starts out off for some period of time, then turns on, then off again. By adjusting the times, you create random flow in your tank by having different pumps on at different times.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But again what do you want to do? If you have AC pumps you may not be able to change flow speed and other things
If you want it ontell it to stay on or off certain times, turn it off when you feed and so on you can control thst in the outlet on the EB8
Here is a sample this is in my outlet not in profiles or outlet

Fallback ON ( always On
OSC 000:00/010:00/000:00 Then ON ( time that it's on, here always)
If FeedA 000 Then OFF (Turns pump off for 15 minutes which is default)
If FeedC 030 Then OFF (Turns pump off for 30 minutes)
If FeedB 000 Then OFF (Turns pump off for 15 minutes which is default)
Defer 010:00 Then ON ( waits ten minutes after return pump is turned back on)

I hope this is what your looking for, if not please ask

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But again what do you want to do? If you have AC pumps you may not be able to change flow speed and other things
If you want it ontell it to stay on or off certain times, turn it off when you feed and so on you can control thst in the outlet on the EB8
Here is a sample this is in my outlet not in profiles or outlet

Fallback ON ( always On
OSC 000:00/010:00/000:00 Then ON ( time that it's on, here always)
If FeedA 000 Then OFF (Turns pump off for 15 minutes which is default)
If FeedC 030 Then OFF (Turns pump off for 30 minutes)
If FeedB 000 Then OFF (Turns pump off for 15 minutes which is default)
Defer 010:00 Then ON ( waits ten minutes after return pump is turned back on)

I hope this is what your looking for, if not please ask
Oh sorry, I guess I didn't give much description of what it is that I'm wanting to do. I have three AC power powerhead and I will be wanting to alternate them using time. So for example, PH 1 on at 0000-off at 0800, PH 2 on at 0400-off at 1200 and so on.

In the example you gave, was that actual time or just how long they are on for?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the OSCcommand is Time but you will want to plug them into three different outlets
then go to that specific outlet then
go to control type and check power head then below leave initial off time alone and then on time put what time you want and the same for on time.
This actually turns off the power and back on to that specific outlet. That's why you would need three. Depending on what brand pump you have there my be a controller for those as well

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the OSCcommand is Time but you will want to plug them into three different outlets
then go to that specific outlet then
go to control type and check power head then below leave initial off time alone and then on time put what time you want and the same for on time.
This actually turns off the power and back on to that specific outlet. That's why you would need three. Depending on what brand pump you have there my be a controller for those as well
Ok cool, they will be plugged into three separate outlets. I think the format of 000:00 threw me off, it got me thinking it was a timer as opposed to a clock. They are all Hydor, and I do have their smart wave, but I'm looking for slightly more control. Thanks for the help!

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you could just plug the hydor in but you would have them turn off all at once and I'm sure you don't want that. That's way you want different outlet

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you could just plug the hydor in but you would have them turn off all at once and I'm sure you don't want that. That's way you want different outlet
Yeah, I'm still going to have one outlet left over, and I'm trying to work something with the flow that takes a little more control than the smart wave offer (but definitely not the apex!). Sorry if I'm getting annoying, but just to be clear, I'll leave the "initial off" at 000:00, then enter the times I want the powerhead to turn on and off and that's it?

Back